Talk

Advanced search

I don’t like the term “peak trans”

(399 Posts)
Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 21:44:37

I mean I get it. But I think your term should be peak TRA.

“Peak- “ is, as I understand it, a reference to the term “ peak oil” with all the connotations of the amount of oil reducing down to nothing.

Which is not, I hope, the way anyone feels about trans people.

Just my take on things

rb67 Tue 20-Feb-18 21:48:08

Peak these days can also mean something that is good, but is now more usually sarcastic as in" would you like broccoli".."yeah peak" i.e no.

I assume it is used here as reaching the end of tolerance of bullshit.

StickStickStickStick Tue 20-Feb-18 21:49:26

If not come across the term before. When I asked on here I thought it was made up in reference to trans on mn. I didn't realise it was an actual slang phrase.

I don't like it for the record...

OlennasWimple Tue 20-Feb-18 21:50:22

You're probably right. Not very snappy, is it, though?

Melamin Tue 20-Feb-18 21:51:05

Peak trans is more when you have climbed to the top of a mountain, through the tree line and you can see clearly for miles and miles.

thebewilderness Tue 20-Feb-18 21:53:27

Peak transgenderism suit you better? As we climb the learning curve we reach the point where we can no longer suspend our disbelief. People cannot abracadabra transmogrify themselves out of one sex and in to the other.
When trans advocates insist that children must be indoctrinated and drugged if they do not rigidly conform to stereotypes most people reach that peak and fall to earth.

Mogleflop Tue 20-Feb-18 21:56:24

Yeah, it's a mountain reference wherever I've read it. Never ever heard your interpretation before.

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 21:57:36

www.theguardian.com/media/2014/aug/27/have-we-reached-peak-peak-rise-ubiquitous-phrase

Yes, it is from peak oil.

Appreciate that you didn’t happen to be an environmentalist in the 90s you might not know this

UrsulaPandress Tue 20-Feb-18 21:58:00

I've heard it all now.

You seriously do not understand what a peak is? hmm

BarrackerBarmer Tue 20-Feb-18 22:00:02

Despite the fact that people call themselves trans, I don't accept that anyone actually, objectively IS trans. Trans is a concept, the idea that people actually exist who have female brains housed in male bodies. (and vice versa). It's like being convinced you're an angel.

So if I say peaktrans, it means reached the limit of credulity beyond which I can no longer pretend that trans is a real thing.

Not, I've had enough of all people who believe themselves to be trans.

I'm also peak UKIP but I'll bet you could find me a sweet and misguided UKIP supporter that I might like if you looked hard enough. Maybe.

It's a rejection of the concept, not a rejection of the people who believe in the concept.

thebewilderness Tue 20-Feb-18 22:00:22

Peak oil is the point of diminishing returns.
The allusion there is to a mountain as maximum heights also.

Mogleflop Tue 20-Feb-18 22:01:09

Seriously, have you never heard of a mountain peak? Ever?

From Datun on another thread:

"Yes, peak trans is meant to invoke the image of a hill.

So people might start in the foothills wondering what on earth women are talking about, why is it so important?

Then they begin to question. Still not sure, because up until now, they didn't see any problem. Why not be nice? What's the big deal?

Then they start to understand the concepts. Sometimes they still waver, because this all feels like it's happening somewhere else. Online, or not really affecting them. And anyway, feminists have a downer on men, so it's unsurprising they're cross. And, honestly, I know a transwoman and she's absolutely delightful.

Then they read about a rapist being transferred to a female prison. So what, one news story. Are you saying all transwomen are rapists?!

Then they read about the woman who asked for a female HCP and got a man. Oh well, a little uncomfortable, but still, what's the big deal? Then they read that the woman was called a transphobic bigot for objecting.

Hmmm, well that's a bit off. I may not mind a man doing my smear test, but I can understand women who do. It's not really bigoted.

At this point you have advanced a few hundred yards up the hill.

Then a sports story is mentioned on here. A mediocre male weightlifter suddenly winning awards by competing as a woman.

Oh, whatever, I don't like sport anyway.

Then another one. Then someone in cycling, fell running, roller derby, football, cricket, golf.

Then suddenly it appears to be less about sport, and more about women being disadvantaged.

The crampons come out and you advance another few hundred yards up the hill.

Then you notice that a 19-year-old boy has been elected as labour's women's officer. Oh well, he probably feels like a woman inside. That's gender dysphoria, right?

Except he starts to compile a secret list of all women who disagree with him to get them ousted from the party. Despite his remit being to include as many women as possible in the party. Claims he can get pregnant in that biology is irrelevant.

Then you start to notice intimidating tactics against women. Meetings to discuss the upcoming law change are targetted, a 60-year-old woman is hit at speakers corner. Venues pull out, peoples jobs are threatened, they are doxxed online, they are reported to the police for disagreeing.

You scramble up towards the peak of the hill.

Then someone tells you about autogynephilia, and all the men's rights activists flocking to the trans movement. You realise that it is actually true that the government is legislating to legitimise a fetish.

You peak. You look back down the hill and can't believe you ever stood at the bottom.

Then you read of 2 transwomen, one of whom has been asked to speak at the Women's March. Who claims that being treated like a piece of meat by men is sexy and objectification is hot. And because they are woman, they speak on behalf of women. And the other one who claims that women are allowed to go to the Women's March, as long as they don't talk about their reproductive systems. You know, the very basis of women's oppression. Because it excludes men. The ones who are doing the oppressing.

And you peak all over again.

This keeps going.

You look at the handful of men with gender dysphoria and how to include them, and wish, with all your heart, that it could be that simple again."

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 22:01:11

I’ve never heard it your way Mogle.

Examples welcome. Appreciate that usages change.

But I am one of many thousands of people who have heard and used the term peak oil.

Peak misogyny is what we’re troubled by surely?

TheGoalIsToStayOutOfTheHole Tue 20-Feb-18 22:02:43

Its not just transactivists though. It is also AGP individuals, male lesbians', misogynist arseholes who just want to attack women, and so on..all who come under the 'transgender' label and who vastly outnumber transsexual people.

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 22:04:04

Long rude posts don’t get read by me I’m afraid!

Mogleflop Tue 20-Feb-18 22:04:26

I seriously think if you asked most people to define "peak" they'd go with something like mountain. The highest or maximum something can go. The tip.

And your reply just now confirms you're trolling, so ... meh.

UrsulaPandress Tue 20-Feb-18 22:04:31

Ha ha ha

UrsulaPandress Tue 20-Feb-18 22:05:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 22:06:34

Of course I’m not trolling.
I just don’t respond to silly rhetorical questions like have I never heard of a mountain peak. It doesn’t deserve my response.

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 22:07:05

This is troubling...

OlennasWimple Tue 20-Feb-18 22:07:13

I didn't read your OP properly. My bad

Never heard of "peak oil"

I was agreeing that "peak trans" can be seen as being "so over trans people", which is not my take on it. I'm beyond over transgender politics and transgender appropriation of female spaces / rights / experiences. But not about getting rid of transpeople per se

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 22:09:48

Thanks Oleanas, I may not have expressed it very well.

“ I'm beyond over transgender politics and transgender appropriation of female spaces / rights / experiences. But not about getting rid of transpeople per se”.
Yes, understood.

I guess all terms are difficult.

PositivelyPERF Tue 20-Feb-18 22:10:56

In other words OP wants to stick his/her fingers in his/her ears and go “lalala! Don’t want to listen in case I peak! I mean erm” 😂

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Tue 20-Feb-18 22:12:23

I don’t understand what you are trying to say but I don’t think it’s to me...

panjandrumpyjamas Tue 20-Feb-18 22:13:21

I think most of us start off with a yeahy sister welcome to the bench we can budge up and allow space for a fellow traveller in the world of what is woman, BUT then realize `hey you have a penis and your waggling in my face! Stop waggling in my face. I dont want it there.` thoughts pop into our heads. For me it was comments like ` I am going to fuck you with my lady dick` and the realization of what we have done begins to dawn.

Then after a bit of looking into why we are now uncomfortable and the reality of what trans gender has become starts to formulate.

So in a way a lot of us started climbing the mountain of trans genderism from a base of love and peace and then reached the peak realization that the mountian isn`t what we thought hence peaking. Most of us have started at a different view then collected and ruminated over a large volume of information hence peak.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: