Talk

Advanced search

Swears by: Your most-loved buys of 2017

(142 Posts)
CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:18:02

Hi folks,

Some of you may already receive our weekly Swears By newsletter, which is a round-up of products (predominantly style and beauty goodies) that Mumsnetters have been recommending to each other. As it's the end of the year, we thought we would round up the most popular products from 2017. Feel free to let us know what your personal best buys of 2017 were too!

If you want to be first to know about the next cult product, you can sign up to the newsletter here and you can also check out the Swears By page here

Mumsnet Swears By is free and independent from advertising but if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale. You can find out more here

Happy New Year!

Alice & Charlotte
xx

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:21:19

M&S Formula Absolute Ultimate Sleep Cream, £22

Anti-wrinkle, brightening night cream

"It has basically given me a new face in three days. I can't recommend it enough. I don't sleep well (understatement) and usually look like I've been dug up. This stuff makes me look dewy and fresh and bright - it's amazing." Mumbod

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:26:21

Hush Black Jacket, now £60 (was £75)

Chic update on a classic blazer

"I've worn it almost every day! Nice soft fabric, and it goes with jeans or smarter stuff equally well." Fabellin

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:29:51

Seasalt Sailor Top, from £19.98

The ultimate breton tee

"The Seasalt ones are my faves. Really lovely organic cotton, good shape, fab colours and usually a choice of full length or 3/4 length sleeves." SingingGoldfinch

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:34:56

The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2% in Squalane, £8

A serum that reduces the appearance of fine lines, evens skin tone and combats signs of ageing

"This is so good it's scary. I used it last night for the first time and, my word, I can see a difference today already! In all seriousness: clearer brighter skin. I've never seen a difference like this before. I'm bloody gobsmacked." lastimeround

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:41:03

Hush Ivy dress, £44 (was £55)

A relaxed fit, with pockets - and three warm colours to choose from

"The Ivy dress in green is lovely. It's good quality jersey and covers a multitude of sins." MerricatsHouse

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:46:29

Korean Italy Exfoliating Washcloth, £7.49

A fuss-free skincare solution

"I have used them for around a month and the difference they have made to my skin is astonishing." KeiraKnightleyActsWithHerTeeth

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:54:38

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting Exfoliant, £25

A quickly-absorbed liquid that removes dead skin cells and tackles blackheads

"It's very good, so good in fact I no longer need to use it." botemp

"I've been using this stuff for a month now and practically all those little black dots on my face have gone." Chickenvindaloo

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 11:58:43

Seasalt Seafolly Jacket, £69.90 (was £120)

Nautical chic to see you through the year

"I really love it and I get lots of compliments when I wear it. I find it quite light to wear." CinderellasBroom

"The quality is terrific and it's great for the transitional seasons." dinasourandtea

CharlotteBMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 29-Dec-17 12:00:50

F&F Premium Mid-Rise Jeggings, £12.50

Smarter than leggings but comfier than jeans

"Tesco jeggings all the way. I've been wearing mine for about four months now and they haven't lost stretch or colour. I can't imagine why I'd go back to jeans!" LadyOfTheCanyon

MrsDilber Fri 29-Dec-17 13:18:08

DS17 has had the most dreadful acne his whole teenage years. He's on permanent antibiotics (minocycline) for it, has Diferin cream from the Drs for it. The GP said he wants to refer him to dermatologist for roaccitain but he's disabled and can't speak, we've heard this med can make you depressed, so want to avoid this route.

I read that there was a "miracle cream", bought it and his skin hasn't looked so good in years, it started working in a couple of days.

This is it. Silver Serum, I'd recommend you try it if you have persistent acne.

MrsDilber Fri 29-Dec-17 13:34:42

It was £12.99.

notapizzaeater Fri 29-Dec-17 14:09:33

Have you a link, my asd 15 yr old has acne and he wont use anything that's not quick - and in true Aspergers style doesn't care that his nose is covered in spots

MrsDilber Fri 29-Dec-17 14:47:51

This is where we bought it from. I can't believe the difference in a week. He's on long term antibiotics but still his face has been covered with deep, painful acne for years.

Hope it works for your lad too. I'm hoping he outgrows it at some point.

https://www.skinshop.co.uk/silver-serum

BagelGoesWalking Fri 29-Dec-17 15:16:08

For anyone who gets spots, these are fantastic! The link is from a UK seller. https://beautyandseoul.co.uk/collections/cosrx/products/cosrx-acne-pimple-master-patch-24ea

BuzzKillington Fri 29-Dec-17 19:32:06

I would second The Ordinary Retinoid.

My skin 'purged' for a couple of weeks but since that horrible episode, it has never looked better. Amazing stuff.

Bear9 Fri 29-Dec-17 21:41:41

@ Charlottebmumsnet..i want to order the oil from House of Fraser..i have terrible deep lines under my eyes and have tried everything,do u think it will work with deep line?

IheartNiles Sat 30-Dec-17 07:36:28

Hush dress and sea salt jacket are frump city.

SandysMam Sat 30-Dec-17 09:33:42

@IheartNiles that has just made me big laugh grin and totally agree!!

DameDoom Sat 30-Dec-17 10:01:26

Despite being on antibiotics for rosacea since time began, I had an awful flare-up on Boxing Day after drinking all the wine and eating all the cheese.
I looked flippin' awful so decided to dig out the sample of the Eve Lom Rescue Mask that had been languishing in my drawer for ages. Smeared it all over as my face looked so bad, I was throwing caution and good sense to the wind despite knowing most of the ingredients would make me even worse. They didn't. Face completely calmed after 20 minutes. Still can't believe it. Dashed to Space NK to get the full size. After doing it twice in a week my very, very sensitive skin has been restored.
It might be the end of 2017, but is the only purchase this year that I have been astounded by.

DameDoom Sat 30-Dec-17 10:14:56

God they are horrific Iheart and Sandys. If teemed with the jeggings, people would point.
Frump city is hilarious - haven't heard 'city' anything for years. Has made me proper laugh.

BuzzKillington Sat 30-Dec-17 10:17:44

I'm another who thinks the Hush dress is frumpsville. It makes the model look hefty, so god knows what it'd look like on an ordinary mortal.

CountFosco Sat 30-Dec-17 11:44:29

That Hush dress got a lot of love on the Hush thread earlier this year. Not that I've got it, I'm a short hourglass so would look shite because even the small would drown me.

littlebillie Sat 30-Dec-17 11:54:29

Unfitted in clothes rarely look good but I will try anything on to see, often they look like this on me 😁

georgie262 Sat 30-Dec-17 12:22:18

@littlebillie I don't have the hush dress but bought one in a similar style and my DH started putting in Honers voice saying 'look at me in my smock it's sooooo comfortable' 😂 I wear it to bed now 😢

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: