Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you all for your most PFB moments?

(283 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1477282676 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:17:28

I just fancy a laugh and there's a lot of traffic here. So...mine is that on DD1's first birthday, I made the entire room sing Happy Birthday to her in a WHISPER so that she wouldn't be scared by all the loud singing. blush

And they all did it too! grin Bless them.

Now you!

Somerville Fri 02-Dec-16 10:23:15

A long time ago now... but my mother reminded me the other day than when my father my PFB out for the day to give me a break (pregnant with DC2) and brought her home having taken her to McDonalds for lunch, I cried. blush

user1477282676 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:24:21

Somerville grin was it the McDonalds that made you cry? Like her nutritional innocence had been ruined!

ArmySal Fri 02-Dec-16 10:25:25

I nearly had a heart attack when my mum stuck her finger in my PFB's mouth to feel for teeth.

I'd never do it myself unless I'd scrubbed my hands first, and was close to tears and fury when she did it.

Somerville Fri 02-Dec-16 10:26:56

Yes! That my child who had only thus far had breast milk and organic home cooked food and now been ruined by a packet of fries.
blush

CmereTilliTellYa Fri 02-Dec-16 10:28:18

Every time I walked down the stairs for the first week or so carrying DS I made DH walk in front of me in case I fell. Not sure what I thought he could do if I did, apart from be a nice cushion at the bottom maybe fblushfgrin

pipsqueak25 Fri 02-Dec-16 10:28:54

second mil was a total bitch [mn favourite type], first time she held dd2, the nappy leaked onto the cuffs of her 'very expensive silk blouse pip' oh happy days !!! funnily enough it was bad form because i laughed.

CmereTilliTellYa Fri 02-Dec-16 10:45:10

I also very virtuously never gave DS chocolate (apart from a button or two at his first birthday) until he was well over two and was raging at MIL for giving him some and teaching him to say 'choco' as he didn't know what it was called and I thought that was great as he couldn't then ask for it blush. He also didn't watch any tv until he was about 2.5.

18 month old DD had her first chocolate at about 10 months courtesy of her big brother and is now a bit too fond of Peppa Pig for my liking. grin

Witchend Fri 02-Dec-16 11:12:36

Dd1 had her first chocolate at 1yo. It was a chocolate button broken into quarters. that was all she got until she was about 3yo at any one time.
Dd2's first food she ate was a chocolate button at 8 months when dd1 put it in her mouth. She'd refused all food before that. About a week later she bent over and took a lick of ice cream. After that she thought she might just about manage this food malarkey. grin
Ds chose a carrot over a piece of chocolate at about a year old. confused

Looneytune253 Fri 02-Dec-16 11:18:34

When my daughter was quite young and in a daycare nursery I remember giving them step by step instructions (including consistency) on how to make her powdered baby food (I know the irony of being so precious about the crappy food that it is). Don't know why I thought childcare professionals may not be able.to manage it. I would write stuff like this every day haha!! Worst part was I was actually studying childcare and now look after children hehe!!

Looneytune253 Fri 02-Dec-16 11:21:13

Yep I was also precious about chocolate, mcds with my first but would happily feed jars and powdered food. Second time round I wasn't quite so precious but breastfed and made food at home so felt like I was doing better without being precious about it if that makes any sense

FlyingElbows Fri 02-Dec-16 11:25:47

Not me but sister and bil didn't allow any talking after 6pm. They just sat in silence looking at their stupid baby monitor. Laugh a minute! We don't go there any more.

easton Fri 02-Dec-16 11:30:21

Before DS1 was born i lined the inside of the drawers of his wooden chest of drawers with material

I didnt want wooden splinters to go onto his precious clothes.

Didnt do that for DS2

Bumpsadaisie Fri 02-Dec-16 12:05:23

Wooden splinters!!!! Thats the funniest one I have heard for a while. Hang your head in shame Easton grin

Elllicam Fri 02-Dec-16 12:13:16

With DS1 I carefully handmade 'jam' for his morning toast (it was a 6 fruit puree with no sugar). I then froze it in ice cube trays so that he had a fresh 'jam' every morning. DS2 got Cheerios grin

slenderisthenight Fri 02-Dec-16 12:56:38

My husband changed all the light bulbs in the house to dim ones so her little eyes wouldn't have a shock when she woke up.

Then he got worried that she was 'having a shock' when she was at other people's houses because she wasn't used to the brightness. So he changed them back again.

I also remember holding an eleven week old baby and screeching, 'I'm so BEHIND! I only have six weeks to get ready for WEANING!'.

grin

Pidlan Fri 02-Dec-16 13:00:22

When DC1 was born, I told everyone that the doctor had said that he wasn't to be passed around due to difficult birth. Only me and DH held him for the first 3 weeks blush

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Fri 02-Dec-16 13:02:31

My bil did the no talking in the evening thing too - he was utterly bemused when dh and I carried on making noise as usual when our dd arrived and even had the odd party grin

I did do the whole breastfeeding and homemade organic food thing though. Royally backfired when I got sick and tried to cheat with a jar of ready made stuff - she wouldn't touch it!

feesh Fri 02-Dec-16 13:05:47

We rushed our 7 day old twins to the Paediatric Emergency Clinic because they had both done 9 poos in one day....we didn't realise it was normal blush

RhodaBorrocks Fri 02-Dec-16 13:15:22

I had stern word with my exMlL because she wanted to puree some meat and veg for DS for Christmas dinner. I was doing BLW and didn't want him having meat before 6 months.

He turned 6 months a few days later and promptly had BLW Christmas dinner (with meat!) at my DParents house. blush

MyHairNeedsASnip Fri 02-Dec-16 13:25:53

I remember hissing at my mum when she folded DD's blanket in half before putting it over her "that's like putting TWO blankets on her'. I'd been reading too much on the Internet.

Hoppinggreen Fri 02-Dec-16 13:33:53

I had read that as a general rule when you go out your child should be wearing 1 more later than you.
Got ready to take 6 week old Pfb out in her pram and noticed that we were both wearing THE SAME AMOUNT OF LAYERS !!!!!!
As she seemed wrapped up enough already I did the only reasonable thing and removed my coat before going out.

Sil can almost top that though - she phoned me up to ask advice as her 3 month old pfb was unwell. I suggested a certain medicine and she said, "oh yes, I will give her some tomorrow " I enquired why she was waiting until tomorrow
" it says on the bottle from 3 months old and she's not 3 months old until tomorrow "
Even though me and DP tried to convince her it would be ok she reacted as if we were suggesting she give my niece crack!!

myoriginal3 Fri 02-Dec-16 13:35:49

Kept the room at 18 degrees as it was optimal temp to prevent cot death. Until someone gently advised that she was cold which was why she couldn't sleep.
Went into a fury when my dm gave her ice cream aged 18 months.
Washed her and her clothes after some random shook hands with her.

myfriendnoel Fri 02-Dec-16 18:28:17

I couldn't put dd1 down for a sleep in her gro bag unless the sleeves of her baby grow matched it.I would literally change her from a perfectly good baby grow into another just because the sleeves clashed with the colour of the sleeping bag. I wanted her to look perfect even whilst asleep.blushI must have been utterly utterly bonkers.
By contrast I barely managed to bother getting dd2 dressed bar a nappy and a vest most of the time and she was quite happy.

yumscrumfatbum Fri 02-Dec-16 18:33:30

For the first couple (maybe four) of Christmas's after DS was born we made everyone pull their Christmas cracker in the garden because he was scared of the bangs. They had to all do it at once too ha ha ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now