(901 Posts)
MillicentMartha Fri 18-Oct-19 21:34:42

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/higher_education/3655914-Applying-for-Uni-2020?pg=40

Previous thread

Hoghgyni Fri 18-Oct-19 21:48:28

Hi Millicent.

MillicentMartha Fri 18-Oct-19 22:00:01

Hi Hoghgyni

Welcome everyone to the second thread for those whose DC are hoping to go to university in 2020.

UCAS forms have started to be submitted and the first offers are coming in. Still plenty of time to get that PS perfected.

HugoSpritz Fri 18-Oct-19 22:03:10

Checking in

MillicentMartha Fri 18-Oct-19 22:04:46

The Exeter chat group was fairly big news at the time, but the Warwick story just wouldn’t die.

Ironoaks Fri 18-Oct-19 22:06:27

Thank you for the new thread MillicentMartha

thesunwillout Fri 18-Oct-19 22:08:54

Check

aibutohavethisusername Fri 18-Oct-19 22:29:10

Hi all, thanks for starting the new thread.

snozzlemaid Fri 18-Oct-19 23:49:37

Joining the new thread.
Off to open day at Birmingham tomorrow. Then hopefully Dd can decide what applications are going in.

bpisok Fri 18-Oct-19 23:57:31

Perfect timing for new thread. DD got a CCC if firmed offer from Birmingham today 😁

MillicentMartha Sat 19-Oct-19 00:00:41

DS is finalising his PS, he’s just got to get a teacher to look at it. He’s filled in his course and uni choices. I’ve just spotted he’s put ‘lead’ instead of ‘led’ in it. smile

Good luck at Birmingham open day everyone. I’m still hoping he’ll eventually firm Birmingham but any of his top 4 will be fine.

MillicentMartha Sat 19-Oct-19 00:01:43

Jealous, bpisok!

nodtik Sat 19-Oct-19 05:21:55

Checking in ....

Can I ask a question?

How do you know which courses were in clearing and the grades that were accepted?

Thanks

KingscoteStaff Sat 19-Oct-19 05:37:55

Good new thread work.
2 offers here and a very full to do list for half term.

But first he’s off to watch the rugby round at the mate with the biggest TV’s house!

HugoSpritz Sat 19-Oct-19 07:14:41

Some of DS's friends are off to watch in a local pub before goong into school to play their own match!

HuaShan Sat 19-Oct-19 07:19:06

Checking in, thanks MillicentMartha

HugoSpritz Sat 19-Oct-19 07:19:29

Going even!

As regards clearing as we already knew some of the unis DS was interested in I had a look at what they had generally and then also specifically for his subject. I think there is a mumsnetter who does keep her own records and who kindly gave me some historic data at one point but cannot recall her name. Maybe she is following the thread.

sandybayley Sat 19-Oct-19 08:51:35

Thanks for the new thread @MillicentMartha - we're up early and watching the rugby. One of the benefits of having a rugby playing son is that he is good at explaining the rules. Rugby is one of the things he is looking forward to a university is playing rugby and it's been one if the criteria he's looked at. Durham and Bristol look like they have good opportunities!

No further news here. I'm guessing he'll get a Manchester offer not long after his interview on the 30th and if he gets an Imperial offer it would come not too long after his interview on the 6th. I fully expect Durham to be a late response, and probably a no.

Ironoaks Sat 19-Oct-19 09:33:43

How do you know which courses were in clearing and the grades that were accepted?

For the course DS planned to apply to, we checked Clearing on results day and made a note.

wineoclockthanks Sat 19-Oct-19 09:38:01

I love a shiny new thread smile

Wanted to watch the rugby but DS glued to the Brexit debate (joys of having a politics student in the house!) "But it's studying Mum!" grin

oneteen Sat 19-Oct-19 10:04:04

Thanks for the new thread ...

Well done Bpisok...on the CCC offer from Bham...

Looks like Rugby going well ...DD will be in Tokyo tomorrow I think she will be more interested in shopping that Rugby!

sandybayley Sat 19-Oct-19 10:19:57

@wineoclockthanks - we're now onto the debate. Politics is another interest of DS1 - he actually wants to follow up his Chemistry degree with a civil service career. He thinks (and I agree) that we need more scientists to ensure government policy on science is better informed.

At some point we need to stop watching TV and leave the house. Doesn't Oliver Letwin look smug?

KingscoteStaff Sat 19-Oct-19 11:12:21

Here we have Letwin on Telly and Ireland/All Blacks on radio.

Plus me listening to Cabin Pressure in the kitchen and DD blaring Hamilton from upstairs.

I'm so glad I don't live next door to us...

Hoghgyni Sat 19-Oct-19 11:23:23

I had to do an 80 mile round trip to drop DD off on a coaching course this morning. Luckily I was stuck in traffic when Synks went over the line. #COYQuins! I would happily swap places with Oneteen DD to be close the the Welsh game tomorrow.

Meanwhile we have heard of Durham making an offer for Psychology, doing their usual Friday night release.

Hoghgyni Sat 19-Oct-19 11:27:26

Cardiff Met is THE university of choice for Harlequins at the moment. They have taken Alex Dombrandt straight from uni, who got given a place by Eddie Jones in the England training squad within months and his chum Luke Northmore this summer.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »