Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.
Tamoxigang thread 50 with summer sun, sangria and maybe even some sand(993 Posts)
Welcome to thread 50 .... Yes FIFTY.
Lots of us are rising 50 so rather apt!
I was going to put sex in the time but thought we might attract the wrong type
Yay! Thanks foofoo.
Just back from our reconstruction meeting with the nurse. I KNOW I am lucky to be able to have reconstruction at the same time as removal and I KNOW it is the best thing to do, but I am still struggling to get my head around it. I actually quite like my boobs, and I am a bit conflicted about losing one of them next week
Liver MRI tomorrow and then I'm done with the investigative tests. For now.
Ladies, can I ask what sort of time line you had from GP - initial appointment - diagnosis - start of treatment?
Good work, Foo!
Beccajoh, it was 10-14 days from GP to diagnosis. then 5 weeks to op number 1.
Elporto, I was dazed by having to make a reconstruction decision really fast and when my brain was fried from shock. It's really hard, no doubt about it. I hope your BCN is giving you lots of support.
- referral to clinic 13 days later; mammogram, ultrasound, biopsy done at clinic; (cumulative timeline = 13 days from first GP appointment)
- Back for biopsy result and diagnosis 14 days later; decision was made there to have surgery first (=27 days cumulative)
- Discussion with BCN 2 days later
- pre-op assessment 6 days (=35 days)
- surgery 22 days later (=57 days)
- results from surgery; appointment was made to discuss these for 12 days later but the results were not back from the lab, so I got them at the first meeting with onc which was 24 days after surgery (= 81 days from GP)
- chemo started 30 days later (it was delayed because I also had an unsuccessful picc line fitting and because I had a tooth removed and it needed to heal. They wanted to start at 21 days after onc meeting). (= 111 days after first GP appt).
Hi Becca, so far mine has been
Doctor (day 0)
Appt at hospital breast clinic +10 days
Biopsy results and initial diagnosis +17 days later
Ongoing tests (happening now)
Final diagnosis and treatment plan meeting scheduled for +32 days
Operation, at the moment scheduled for +33 days
Chemo will start 6 weeks after operation if all goes to current plan
I'm given to understand that this is quite fast, given that I have lymph node involvement and have needed a lot of additional tests to be done in between initial diagnosis and final treatment plan.
Thanks foo :-).
My time line so far is gp to clinic 11 days where I had loads of mammogram images and an ultrasound plus core biopsy. Clinic to biopsy results 10 days - results due tomorrow!
I was told at clinic 10 days ago I have cancer but that was without any biopsy results so tomorrow is going to be the day where I really hear the truth.
Think its going to be a long night! At least I've got a distraction in that I'm meeting my DD's teacher first thing to talk about transition into yr 3 next year. DD has a chronic health condition and severe milk allergy (has to carry an epipen everywhere) so for a while I'll be thinking about someone else rather than me. Will definitely help pass the time
Thanks for the thread foo! And best of luck tomorrow minty, you should know more about what you are facing then.
I had a good day today, took all three DCs to a farm park, then off to physio where I was told I have some cording but not too bad. Only to be expected as my armpit was peeling and I couldn't massage it!
Good luck for tomorrow minty.
I was 10 days from gp to breast clinic for mammogram, ultrasound and core biopsy. Back 7 days later for results and plan. 13 days later I had WLE and 3 nodes removed. Results 10 days later. Am now in the middle of three weeks of rads and almost two months post surgery. Next Friday it all finishes, for now at least.
Thanks foo for new thread 50 I'll be 50 in a few weeks,so yet another one.
Minty best of luck for tomorrow,hope you'll at least feel a bit better for having some clarity.
My timeline so far
Gp >>clinic for mammograms 1week> core biopsy at same time>>
results 2 weeks later >>
mastectomy 4 weeks later>>
results 10 days later.
Now awaiting results from SNB as eventhough removed breast tissue seemed clear I received a letter today saying:
"histology confirmed 100mm intermediate and high grade DCIS,suggestion of micro metastases in sentinel node"
Not sure what to make of that. amber,does that mean anything to you?
Results in 12 days.
elporto I think I need to share my liver story with you.
After initial chemo, mx, and node clearance, they found 2 x 4cm lesions in my liver. Assumed it was secondaries. Adjusted chemo and said that was the treatment.
I spent the weekend investigating after suggestions by knowledgeable (although as she says not a dr) and went back asking for surgery to remove (quite a new treatment for BC) or cyberknife as I wanted more aggressive treatment.
Onc was good and agreed and referred me to liver unit. They were top notch and had me booked in for PET scan 2 working days later, and MRI a week after that. PET scan came back clear for cancer and MRI showed lesions to be something called hermangiomas ..... So not actually cancer.
So I think what I am saying is that its still not sure what's going on with you until all results are known .... And ensure that the medical staff know 100% what they are dealing with.
My case was v unusual but I only got these answers as I pushed for them.
And I finished chemo today, ah no now its yesterday, so I'm wide awake on steroids!
Have found some wifi so just saying hi from Mexico, it's beautiful here had to cancel 2 holidays last year but now here we are drinking cocktails in the sun hope that gives our newbies a bit of hope
Hope everyone is ok will catch up soon x
Thanks foofoo. Yet another appalling night chez elporto There is a huge storm blowing over London which has had me up for hours, that and the horrible sweating and panic which I can't seem to get a grip on.
Foofoo thanks for your story. How did they find the lesions on your liver in the first instance? I am asking because I am actually having a liver MRI today which should I think give a very clear indication of what is going on there before they start my treatment. As you know, I have been sweating this one for almost 10 days now and it is driving me crazy. I will have to wait til next Wednesday to know anything for sure, though at least at that point they will also give me a treatment plan. I have decided I have clear symptoms and have been dreaming of my liver killing me - it's a tortuous mental state to be in, I hope the light of day can clear my head.
Morning elporto, I can't believe how many appts you're having at the moment. Do you think you will be given any clues today? Ok don't know wether a little bit of information is better than none at all. At my ultrasound I was told there had been 'changes', which was pretty useless to me. Not clear enough to make me understand what he was trying to say but scary anyway.
Minty, I'll be thinking of you today. Come back and chat when you're ready.
Nelson, worrying for you too.
So many waiting for results at the moment.
Morning all, or should I say 'evening' malteserzz? I like the thought of cocktails at sunset :-)
Wow that was some thunderstorm last night! DD (7) of course couldn't sleep so I got into bed with her. Then with the storm raging DH came into her room as well! I couldn't help but smile to myself and sing out loud 'raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens.......' Maybe that's some good advice although I think my favourite things tend to include decent bottles of red wine and fab dinners!
Thanks everyone for your good wishes. I will let you know how it goes as soon as I can.
Elporto you really are being put through it this week. I feel for you as just having one appointment is hard. Will be thinking of you, hope it goes well today
elporto I realised a key word was missing for my thing, it should have said after suggestions by the knowledgeable amberlight
They were found by ct scan, but that isn't really detailed enough, the MRI which I suspect will be done with a contrast injection gives more detail.
I was lucky as where I went (Basingstoke) you hang around for a couple of hours and get the results then. This is unusual.
What I am trying to say is try not too panic until you/they know for sure.
And maybe ask if you can have a PET scan as that 'lights up' areas with cancer.
Big wave to malt you lucky devil
mrs I hate ambiguity, it just adds unknowns and worry
minty once you ave a clear idea what your dealing with it becomes easier to dal with it ... Honest.
Hello malt in Mexico! of your trip, lucky you. I hope you have the most relaxing time possible.
Mrs, I think I could probably find out the results of the MRI today if my nurse was very pushy, but I'm not sure it would help much until all my results have been discussed by the MDT and a decision has been made on treatment. Part of the problem over the last 10 days has been getting partial result information and I actually think I will benefit mentally from getting the whole picture and also knowing what they are going to do about it. Unfortunately that's not for 5 days. I'm sorry, I know I am really whining on here ATM, but it's keeping me sane to write some of it down.
Minty, I meant to add that I am thinking of you a lot this morning and keeping everything crossed
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.