Talk

Advanced search

Westministers: The Lords Strike Back

(1000 Posts)
RedToothBrush Wed 01-Mar-17 19:41:01

This needs no fanfare or lengthy post. Just this:

The Lords are demanding amendments unilateral protection for EU citizens.

Labour was split 358 for an amendment to 256 against.

This is after Amber Rudd had tried to reassure the Lords by writing a letter assuring peers that EU citizens would be treated with the utmost respect.

Utmost respect = an amendment to guarantee unilateral support.

Today is a good day. It should have been done in the first place.

Caprianna Wed 01-Mar-17 19:41:45

Great

HashiAsLarry Wed 01-Mar-17 19:41:55

Good on the Lords
And thanks rtb

user1486924355 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:47:29

Absolutely hilarious. Do you seriously think this will make a difference to the final outcome, seriously??

Badders123 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:50:24

Great

Frazzled2207 Wed 01-Mar-17 19:55:17

I think it's great but the commons can just bypass their concerns by removing the amendments. Not sure if they really want to do that though. Surely that would piss them off.

HashiAsLarry Wed 01-Mar-17 19:58:18

In a very twisted way I'd love to see how people could argue the EU citizens aren't being used as a bargaining chip if they do remove that amendment.

GhostofFrankGrimes Wed 01-Mar-17 19:59:04

I watched the Lords debate. It was largely considered, respectful save Tebbit. Compare that to the HoC empty rhetoric/zoo at feeding time mentality.

Look what can be achieved when not playing to the gallery/pandering to populism.

twofingerstoEverything Wed 01-Mar-17 19:59:43

Thanks for the new thread, Red.

Tryingtosaveup Wed 01-Mar-17 20:00:58

It will removed in the HC

SemiPermanent Wed 01-Mar-17 20:01:15

It's the only amendment I agreed with at the commons stage.

SemiPermanent Wed 01-Mar-17 20:01:59

Thanks for the new thread btw smile

Peregrina Wed 01-Mar-17 20:04:48

Glad to see the new thread Red. This could and should have been done 8 months ago - it shouldn't need the Lords to tell MPs to act humanely. Without stopping to think I immediately counted ten EU citizens married to British spouses, most with children, who have been in limbo. All of whom, I might add, are working and contributing to the economy - in either health care, medical research or teaching.

If the Commons did by-pass this amendment it would reflect very badly on them.

ElenaGreco123 Wed 01-Mar-17 20:06:13

Thanks Red

RhuBarbarella Wed 01-Mar-17 20:29:05

Thanks again Red. I've been anxious about this debate. Strange to be cheering the Lords. Politics is a strange game!

Mistigri Wed 01-Mar-17 20:30:11

Finally some good news. Probably get overturned when it goes back to the HoC but let's just enjoy the moment.

(Glad to see you are still here RTB - we were all getting twitchy when we got to 1000 with no new thread)

Kaija Wed 01-Mar-17 20:42:53

Oh thank goodness. For the Lords result and for the new thread. I was worried red had abandoned MN for lent.

prettybird Wed 01-Mar-17 20:56:46

I fully expect it to be taken out again in the Commons - and for Corbyn to show his lack of spine again in allowing it to happen.

Shameless place marking wink

TheFullMrExit Wed 01-Mar-17 21:11:17

What happens if may does this as she has wanted too, then eu says sorry, thanks for assuring eu citizen rights but all UK people need to leave? MAY has upper moral hand but she has in that case failed her citizens. As some one on tv said other day, as supposed bastion of liberal values chortle why didn't eu do this when may asked confused

Motheroffourdragons Wed 01-Mar-17 21:31:44

Thank you, Red.

Good news, pleased that the HoL is standing up against this at least.

I don't think the EU will ask the Brits to leave, they are the ones suggesting EU passports for those that want them.

RhuBarbarella Wed 01-Mar-17 21:31:47

I don't think you grasp the isolated position the UK has when it comes to EU immigration. In Europe, other Europeans are not immigrants that need to be gone. That is a British thing. So, i can't see the rest of Europe suddenly taking that stance and getting rid of British citizens.
May and a moral upper hand is a way passed station afaimc.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 01-Mar-17 21:32:38

Another one here, very grateful to Red. That was quite a moment there, when the last thread was full.

CarelessWispas Wed 01-Mar-17 21:35:22

Good for the Lords. Still disgusts me that our PM and the HoC couldn't muster up up the minimal levels of basic human decency to deal with this issue appropriately in the first place.

A bigger issue with regard to the UK/EU negotiating table now, is that our government are a rightly preceived to be a bunch of thick racist inhumane idiots. This is never a good starting point.

Motheroffourdragons Wed 01-Mar-17 21:37:10

Carelss - you are right, and the events of the last few days have not helped our reputation around the world.

Cailleach1 Wed 01-Mar-17 21:38:39

Much appreciated, Red.

This thread is not accepting new messages.