Talk

Advanced search

3 week plateau, 3 week falling, then schools open?

(488 Posts)
AlmostThereKeepMoving Tue 07-Apr-20 21:00:42

The figures being released are promising.

I’ve said all along that there is absolutely no chance the schools will keep closed until the end of July!

I think it’s looking like they will reopen after May half term.

Barbie222 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:03:31

Really hope so.

WestWasnt Tue 07-Apr-20 21:04:32

After reading the news story on the BBC today, about various scientists saying the school closures aren’t helping as much as people thought, I’m more hopeful they might go back next month sometime. Until a few days ago I thought it’s be September.

pocketem Tue 07-Apr-20 21:05:21

No chance the schools will be back before the summer holidays.
Don't fall for the press conference spin

WestWasnt Tue 07-Apr-20 21:05:33

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52180783

Barbie222 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:07:21

That story also said that social distancing needed to be maintained though @WestWasnt so in my classroom, not even a third of the class could come back at once. It might not be helpful to most parents to go back in that way.

Parker231 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:07:40

We’ve not hit the peak yet so I don’t think anyone can forecast how long it will be before it is safe enough to restart schools and workplaces.

Snowflakes1122 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:08:20

Why are people so obsessed with wanting kids to go back ASAP? I want my kids safe confused

cologne4711 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:08:40

I think May half term too.

Universities are different because they have finished by the end of June at the latest anyway so there's little point them reopening until September.

It may also be different in Scotland, for similar reasons to the universities.

AlmostThereKeepMoving Tue 07-Apr-20 21:09:32

Why do you think that @pocketem?

bigchris Tue 07-Apr-20 21:10:44

It'll be september I'm afraid

HereDefenders Tue 07-Apr-20 21:10:50

We aren't at the peak yet.
Great if they do but highly unlikely I suspect.
Don't get your hopes up.

Ilovemyhairbeingstroked Tue 07-Apr-20 21:10:55

@Snowflakes1122 I agree - especially as we are seeing young people becoming seriously ill and dying from it . I’m happy to keep my with me as long as it takes .

LegoBloodyHurts Tue 07-Apr-20 21:13:42

There will be the need for social distancing for many many more months yet. Kids don’t do social distancing. Too soon will be a big mistake. This would purely be an economical decision if they push for a premature reopening.

Sux2buthen Tue 07-Apr-20 21:13:44

I agree with pop's. I told my partner today that if schools reopen too soon for me to be comfortable then my kids won't be going.

sweetkitty Tue 07-Apr-20 21:14:08

Our schools (LA in Scotland closes 24th June), Nicola Surgeon says she expects them not to open before August.

TiredMummyXYZ Tue 07-Apr-20 21:15:55

Well I for one won’t be sending my children in. Nor will I be going back myself as a primary school teacher. I would rather loose my job then put my family at risk. I have asthma and my husband is type 1 diabetic and takes immunosuppressants for another health condition. This virus is devastating. I would much rather schools stayed closed longer to save lives.

rabbitsnose Tue 07-Apr-20 21:16:32

Covid has taught me that many people can't wait to see the back of the children. Nice

WestWasnt Tue 07-Apr-20 21:16:40

@Barbie222 Yeah I realise that, I guess they’ll have everyone in part time, and some probably won’t want to send them back anyway.
I’ve got a chronic pain condition and severe fatigue, and 2 kids 5 and under, the 5 year old has suspected ADHD like his Dad. I’m finding it very, very difficult to meet their needs, so have to balance whether they’re better at home or if he’d be better back in school, even part time.
He misses the routine, misses his friends and teachers, and is therefore struggling emotionally.

rabbitsnose Tue 07-Apr-20 21:16:48

*their

LegoBloodyHurts Tue 07-Apr-20 21:20:33

Rabbitsnose it’s odd isn’t it? Some parents seem desperate to see the back of their kids, even if it potentially costs some of their lives! Bizarre.
My kids are doing my head in, but that doesn’t matter. Keeping everyone safe does.

Bimbleboo Tue 07-Apr-20 21:20:49

Is it more that people feel like they just want the whole ‘thing’ to be over and they are desperate to be told the kids can go back so that they are reassured it must be fine now? But possibly it’s a bit of denial, because it’s not going to be over and safe any quicker just because people want it to be. I can’t get my head around it either. If mine were school age I’d be petrified of letting her go back any time soon.

Siameasy Tue 07-Apr-20 21:23:10

I can’t see it being before September either TBH. Be interesting to see what other countries who went into lockdown before us have done or plan to do.

oldbeforem Tue 07-Apr-20 21:23:56

You sound very sure @bigchris

Matildathehun77 Tue 07-Apr-20 21:24:03

*Covid has taught me that many people can't wait to see the back of the children. Nice
@rabbitsnose*

What Covid has taught me is how many people are prepared to be genuinely unkind and judgemental towards others in order to score points.

It's brought out the best and the worst of people.

Op I do think there's a chance that School’s will reopen sooner, personally I think they'll start by expanding the hubs so that more key worker parents and children from vulnerable families can attend.
Once they have fairly robust numbers in these (maybe 25% of the school population) without it affecting the daily figures then they may re-open. We're all guessing though aren't we?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »