Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask how you can wear wool?

(94 Posts)
34leaper35 Mon 21-Oct-19 21:36:12

We moved house recently and our new house is coooold! Proper wind whistling through the gaps in every window in every room. Desperation led me to the warmth of John Lewis and in search of a warm jumper. Quick scout round - picked up anything chunky which wasn't screaming Christmas. After 10 minutes in the changing room, I had scratched my arms and neck raw, had alpaca fluff in my eyelashes, cashmere stuck to my lips and my eyes were streaming. Toast we're charging £175 for this hell.
Anyone else???

StillRunningWithScissors Mon 21-Oct-19 21:38:10

I can't wear it either. Drives me mad. Itchy eyes, scratchy feeling on my skin (followed by a rash), and makes me wheezy after a bit.

Milanimilani Mon 21-Oct-19 21:42:30

Wear a good long sleeved top under it. Do you remember the scratchy blankets of the pre-duvet days?

TrophyCat Mon 21-Oct-19 21:42:34

I've found my people! I cannot bear it. Not even for hats or scarfs. It is torturous for me. It makes my teeth itch whenever I touch it.

Oysterbabe Mon 21-Oct-19 21:42:58

I can't. If any part of it touches my bare skin it's so scratchy I just can't stand it. Even with a long sleeve top underneath I can still feel it.

Moominfan Mon 21-Oct-19 21:48:06

I love merino and cashmere smile I find them soft rather than scratchy

adaline Mon 21-Oct-19 21:52:09

Long sleeved top underneath.

34leaper35 Mon 21-Oct-19 21:56:33

@StillRunningWithScissors I completely agree - I was wondering how it could affect my breathing so much - assumed it was completely psychological but thinking it could be some kind of evil....

34leaper35 Mon 21-Oct-19 21:57:13

@TrophyCat itchy teeth - yup 😂😂

34leaper35 Mon 21-Oct-19 21:58:06

@Oysterbabe the evil little wool fibres poke their way through any base layer!!!

DanielRicciardosSmile Mon 21-Oct-19 21:58:52

I can't wear it. Even a tiny percentage of wool in a garment is enough to have me clawing my skin off - even with something underneath.

glueandstick Mon 21-Oct-19 21:58:54

A cashmere jumper is a true delight!

Have you tried a fleece and layers? Silk perhaps? If wool is not for you then don’t punish yourself. It would be miserable to be itchy and fluffy.

Happyspud Mon 21-Oct-19 22:00:08

I live in cashmere.

totallyradllama Mon 21-Oct-19 22:02:18

I don't mind wool but I have a beautiful tweed jacket so itchy it makes me feel ill

aibutohavethisusername Mon 21-Oct-19 22:04:00

I can’t wear it either. Reminds me of scratchy train seats when I was young.

ifeellikeanidiot Mon 21-Oct-19 22:04:04

It's really interesting to read all your responses. Come autumn, I hate not wearing wool. Synthetic fibres just feel awful. I have some synthetic stuff I wear for work, but the moment I'm home, I reach for my lightweight merino.

AngelzEye Mon 21-Oct-19 22:05:32

I don't know what wool everyone else is buying but my Calvin Klein jumpers are lovely, soft and warm and they're not made of anything fancy or scratchy like Al Paca confused and fully machine washable too...

Theredjellybean Mon 21-Oct-19 22:07:41

I can wear cashmere but not wool.. ☺
But me and dd2 both wear alot of bamboo clothing products as they are warm and very hypoallergenic.
BAM is good for long sleeved layers.

justasking111 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:08:00

Layering is the key. I wear long sleeved teeshirts cotton underneath my sweaters. You could look at ski wear undergarments.

ffswhatnext Mon 21-Oct-19 22:08:41

I have to wear certain wool or blends otherwise I'm in itch hell.
I learned to crochet a few years ago. Now I am always wrapped in fluffy warmness. The first few attempts of making different things were hysterical but didn't matter as those only got worn around the house.

DailyMailcanfuckthefuckoff Mon 21-Oct-19 22:08:43

I get all my wool/cashmere jumpers from TK Maxx. There's some lovely and soft ones, but I do recommend wearing a long-sleeved shirt under them!

Fairylea Mon 21-Oct-19 22:09:25

I can’t stand it either. Itchy and expensive.

maras2 Mon 21-Oct-19 22:15:47

Way back in the early 70's our grandma bought a pair of 'good, warm wool' trousers for my much younger brother.
He had to wear his (non wool) pyjama bottoms under them.
Oh how we still chuckle nearly 50 years on. thlgrin

instanaan Mon 21-Oct-19 22:17:40

Try a merino base layer. I have several and wear them on their own in summer, under cotton in cooler weather and under wool in really cold weather.

They are not at all itchy to me, and I think I have quite sensitive skin, but do the warming job perfectly.

peepholepringle Mon 21-Oct-19 22:18:30

Same! Every time I dare to try a new wool anything I end up covered in a rash and scratching my skin off for days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »