Talk

Advanced search

Mueller time for Trump and his friends - will they all meet in a courtyard surrounded by a big beautiful wall? - Trump thread 92

(986 Posts)
Lweji Sat 23-Mar-19 08:10:02

Someone had to and soon.

Old thread

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3510947-It-s-a-National-Non-Emergency-Trump-thread-91

Lweji Sat 23-Mar-19 08:12:44

Working link

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3510947-It-s-a-National-Non-Emergency-Trump-thread-91

PerkingFaintly Sat 23-Mar-19 08:16:06

Thanks for new thread, Lweji!

Have a brew to go with that Mueller.

Lweji Sat 23-Mar-19 08:19:52

Note: I was thinking Mullerice, but this one sums it up:

youtu.be/wZlmfvUaGj4

TheNorthWestPawsage Sat 23-Mar-19 08:23:23

Thanks Lweji! I feel that I've been neglecting Trump - juggling Brexshit, work and that other thing... life! Hope he doesn't mind wink

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 08:30:07

I thought we were going all the way down to the wire ... Thanks Lweji

Lweji Sat 23-Mar-19 08:30:56

Me too! But he's always in my heart and I wish him a long term. wink

cozietoesie Sat 23-Mar-19 09:21:34

Thanks, Lweji.

Lweji Sat 23-Mar-19 09:25:46

Trump rallies and increase in hate crime

www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-rally-hate-crimes-study-maga-2019-3

Missmarplesknitting Sat 23-Mar-19 10:21:02

Trump is suspiciously quiet, isn't he?

I'm clinging onto the idea that the sealed indictments are already filed (hence no further ones) and that it's all been distributed to SDNY etc. TeaPain on twitter wrote a good piece about looking at how Mueller has already done this with Manafort and others so on the basis Mueller's team and remit is relatively small, it makes sense to ship out the cases to where they occured eg NY for the adoptions meeting etc.

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 11:39:18

I think Mueller knows what he's doing.

edition.cnn.com/2019/03/22/politics/11-looming-questions-now-that-muellers-investigation-is-over/index.html

cozietoesie Sat 23-Mar-19 13:41:46

Fingers crossed.

PerkingFaintly Sat 23-Mar-19 14:01:23

I'm managing my expectations.

Not least because I doubt we'll see the whole report – just selected snippets.

EweSurname Sat 23-Mar-19 14:08:07

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins
Bill Barr just arrived at the Department of Justice, per a CNN camera crew who spotted him.

And now so did Rod Rosenstein

EweSurname Sat 23-Mar-19 14:09:28

Shimon Prokupecz
@ShimonPro
From
@LauraAJarrett
Attorney General Bill Barr will continue reviewing Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s confidential report today at the Justice Department.

PerkingFaintly Sat 23-Mar-19 14:11:11

A reminder of the process:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47312898

It doesn't seem likely there will be a detailed investigative narrative presented to the public similar to the multi-tome report produced by Independent Counsel Kenneth Starr back in 1998.

Mr Starr's wide-ranging investigation that started with a real-estate inquiry and ended up scouring Bill Clinton's affair with Monica Lewinsky was governed by a federal statute with different rules. And Mr Starr himself - a former judge and Republican administration lawyer - was a different kind of man to the by-the-books ex-Marine Mueller.

Mr Mueller's probe is conducted under the auspices of the Justice Department and is governed by its regulations.

The special counsel's obligations at the conclusion of his work are to provide a "confidential report" to Attorney General Bill Barr explaining his prosecutorial decisions.

Mr Barr must then provide the top members of the Senate and House Judiciary committees with a brief explanation of any actions taken - or instances where he overruled the special counsel's proposed action.

It is up to the attorney general to decide whether it would be in the "public interest" to make any of these reports or communications accessible to the rest of us.
[...]
Up until now, Mr Mueller has spoken through his court filings, which are rich in detail and new revelations. While Mr Mueller's report to the attorney general will be confidential, it may not be his final word at the conclusion of his investigations.

The special counsel could be building a prosecutorial path that leads to the White House, with the final stones about to be set. Court-watchers note multiple sealed indictments have been filed in the federal courts used by Mr Mueller's team over the past few months. Those could be political and legal bombs, with their fuses lit.

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 15:48:08

www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/23/mueller-report-donald-trump-latest-news-collusion-russia

cozietoesie Sat 23-Mar-19 17:02:22

....^ Mr Barr must then provide the top members of the Senate and House Judiciary committees with a brief explanation of any actions taken - or instances where he overruled the special counsel's proposed action.^...l

That's partly what I was thinking, backaways.

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 17:07:57

www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/01/the-increasing-pressure-on-donald-trump

yolofish Sat 23-Mar-19 17:09:08

I am confused, does this mean Mueller has failed??

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 17:19:22

Not at all. It means wait and see and also watch where the other investigations also go ... smile

It's a work in progress.

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 17:20:49

www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/us/trump-investigations-new-york.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Missmarplesknitting Sat 23-Mar-19 17:27:00

I can't help but thinking is trump believed he'd be exonerated that he'd have tweeted it eleventy billion times today.

The silence..... hopefully speaks volumes.

yolofish Sat 23-Mar-19 17:35:25

phew, thanks lionheart!

lionheart Sat 23-Mar-19 18:25:23

Barr not ready.

www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-russia-investigation-report-conclusions-congress-20190323-story.html

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: