Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at the sheer amount of hatred and ignorance about transpeople on mumsnet

(740 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Curiositykilledthecat113 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:22:59

Specifically transwomen, according to the majority of mumsnet, all transwomen want to rape biological women, “steal their womanhood” and all sorts of other ridiculous, offensive statements without any factual backing.

So why is Mumsnet so intolerant and ignorant towards transgender people?

PurpleStarInCashmereSky Sat 04-Nov-17 22:23:33

GF.

formerbabe Sat 04-Nov-17 22:23:47

Yabu.

WeeBeasties Sat 04-Nov-17 22:24:39

Can you quote or point to a thread where these things have been said?

blackteasplease Sat 04-Nov-17 22:24:50

Yabu, GF.

Curiositykilledthecat113 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:24:59

Okay but why am I being unreasonable? Can you explain why you hate transpeople.

McTufty Sat 04-Nov-17 22:25:04

Well, i agree that some people express themselves in unacceptable ways eg men in skirts. But generally people on MN do not think all trans women are rapists but are concerned about allowing penises into female only spaces, which particularly when taken together with self declaration of gender, has the potential to cause great risk to women. There is a proper debate to be had.

And I don’t think MN is any more transphobic than lots of TRAs are misogynistic.

Fluffysparks Sat 04-Nov-17 22:25:07

It is what it is.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Sat 04-Nov-17 22:25:37

I don't know which threads you've been reading, but that's not been my experience here at all. Nobody is saying that all transwomen want to do those things. There is plenty of factual backing that some transwomen are violent. It would be very remarkable if none of them were.

Curiositykilledthecat113 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:25:46

WeeBeasties it’s easy to find if you look on any trans thread posted on mumsnet you have a very high likelihood of finding prejudice.

dinosaursandtea Sat 04-Nov-17 22:26:38

YANBU. I hate it as well, OP - but honestly, these views are in the minority. Trans rights are progressing, even if it isn't as quickly as we'd like. I wish there was a space on here where we could discuss it without abuse or misinformation, though!

Runningissimple Sat 04-Nov-17 22:26:41

It's weird. I don't get it either. I just ignore it now.

YouStoleTheBowlFromTheRoom Sat 04-Nov-17 22:26:56

YABU. Trans dogma is one of the most poisonous cult mindsets out there. It’s inherently homophobic, lesbophobic, and misogynist.

SonicBoomBoom Sat 04-Nov-17 22:27:06

Yawn.

Sentimentallentil Sat 04-Nov-17 22:27:08

If you see any transphobia on a thread you should report it

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Sat 04-Nov-17 22:27:22

Funny there has been lots of factual backing and research papers linked to on the threads I've been reading.

Not that anyone has said anything like your ridiculous statements.

Curiositykilledthecat113 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:27:36

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g where is this plenty of factual backing?

McTufty Surely rape can happen absolutely anywhere, most of the world is a penis friendly place so transpeople wanting to do their business in the bathroom of the gender they feel fits them is the least of womens problems?

AssassinatedBeauty Sat 04-Nov-17 22:28:20

You're factually incorrect about what you think is posted on some threads here about transactivism. You're being very unreasonable to suggest that there is widespread hatred of transgender people being shown here.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Sat 04-Nov-17 22:29:02

'according to the majority of mumsnet, all transwomen want to rape biological women, “steal their womanhood” and all sorts of other ridiculous, offensive statements without any factual backing.'

There's a ridiculous statement without any factual backing for a start. Either you are seeing things, or you know full well you are talking bollocks and have just come here to goad.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:29:08

Nobody has said that all transwomen want to do those things

You have obviously looked at this in detail so as wee says a link to such posts would be helpful

And i would certainly join you in your disgust of such posts

The vast vast majority of posters say no such thing

I certainly cant answer your question as i dont hate trans people or many people to be fair

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Sat 04-Nov-17 22:29:25

Yes rape can happen anywhere there is a penis.

Therefore women might want to have their private spaces such as toilets limited to well..women. You know. People with vaginas.

tsonlyme Sat 04-Nov-17 22:30:21

Links to specific transphobic posts or it didn’t happen.

deblet Sat 04-Nov-17 22:30:40

Prejudice or common sense? If the laws are changed without safeguards people will abuse it. Like they abuse everything else. That's all people on the threads have been saying.

Bananasplit47 Sat 04-Nov-17 22:30:46

So you think it's ok to allow a man into a woman's only refuge, where women are fleeing domestic violence including rape etc with their children, because he dons a skirt and claims he 'feels like a woman'? Do you think it's ok that men are beating up radical feminists for being 'transphobic'?
You can take any amount of hormones you like - your DNA cannot be changed.

ArcadianBlues Sat 04-Nov-17 22:31:06

MN is not transphobic but it is important to discuss whether the trans agenda detracts from the rights and safety of biological women.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now