Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to assume I can use their shampoo/shower gel when visiting?

(405 Posts)
Smudge612 Wed 15-Feb-17 11:25:21

I don't mean rummaging in their bathroom cupboards or anything hmm, but for example, we have shower gel, shampoo & conditioner out on the side of the bath (shower over bath job). I would assume guests would use them if they needed when they stay at mine - and am happy for them to do so. Is it wrong to assume I can then do the same thing if I stay over somewhere???

antimatter Wed 15-Feb-17 11:25:55

I think I would ask.

ChicRock Wed 15-Feb-17 11:26:58

I always take my own as I'm fussy about what I use but I'd totally assume I could use theirs (and would if it was better than mine grin) if stuff was out on the side of the bath.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 15-Feb-17 11:26:59

If you're close enough to someone to stay in your home you should be able to use their shower gel!

DJBaggySmalls Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:19

Stuff for anyone to use is on the side of the bath, and we tell visitors that if they use our shower.
At someone else's home I'd ask.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:31

I would without a second thought....who is so tight they cannot spare a squeeze of shower gel? Or so selfish they'd expect someone to bring their own?

JennyOnAPlate Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:39

I think it's wrong to assume, yes. I always take my own toiletries when I go away.

MrsHathaway Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:39

I would be absolutely fine with anyone using the bottles of stuff that's out on the shelf over the bath or shower, but I would explicitly say so - "there's shower gel and shampoo on the shelf, and the towels are in the cupboard". I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to use my razor, for example, even though it's on the same shelf.

So yes, I'd ask.

Are you already there, or deciding what to pack?

PinkFluffiUnicorn Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:50

I would expect a person staying with me to use them, but I would ask if I was staying somewhere.

londonrach Wed 15-Feb-17 11:27:59

Depends. At family id use and expect them to use mine. With friends i bring my own but wouldnt mind if they used mine. Its there to be used.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Wed 15-Feb-17 11:29:19

I think it's fine.
I always leave a few hotel miniatures in our guest room though, because I know some people do feel funny about using other people's shower stuff. I hope they don't think I'm hinting they should keep their hands off my cut priced Radox. grin

spankhurst Wed 15-Feb-17 11:29:32

If it's out then I would expect guests to use it.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Wed 15-Feb-17 11:30:37

It's wrong. People often use special shampoo & conditioner and it can be very expense stuff. Same with face wash. Very personalised too. I would expect guests to have their own faves of these and I would be very surprised if they used mine.

Body wash is another matter. I keep a huge thing of body wash in the shower that guests can use but I find they usually bring their own body wash too.

It also depends how long they're staying. Just one night? No problem, use my stuff. 2 weeks? Not so much.

OllyBJolly Wed 15-Feb-17 11:32:25

I know a few people who have expensive toiletries out "for show" and retrieve the value stuff from the cupboard every time. So I would always ask.

I was going to say anyone can use anything if staying at my house but then remembered DH gets annoyed if he suspects anyone is using his Head and Shoulders...

PurpleDaisies Wed 15-Feb-17 11:35:50

Its fine. In our house there's a basket of guest stuff in the ensuite in the guest room specifically for this purpose.

FireInTheHead Wed 15-Feb-17 11:36:15

I would ask but I'm pretty certain your hosts wouldn't mind. I always take toiletries with me, fussy about what I use especially shampoo/conditioner, but hosts generally say to feel free to use the stuff that's there and I would if I'd forgotten anything. I have a guest bathroom, again, guests usually bring their own but I leave shower gel, shampoo and toothpaste in there just in case and if they need anything else I always tell them to just ask and I'll bring mine from the master bathroom.

Helbelle75 Wed 15-Feb-17 11:38:02

I don't have a problem with people using my stuff and don't think i'd notice! I usually leave toiletries in the spare room anyway, and tell our guests to make themselves at home.
Not so much at home as to leave posted in the toilet (3 times!) though. These were exchange guests. We won't be inviting them back....

ChocChocPorridge Wed 15-Feb-17 11:43:10

Family certainly, friend probably if left out.

If I leave stuff out, it's fine to use it, it's there to be used.

OpheliaHamlet Wed 15-Feb-17 11:43:14

I wouldn't be upset if guests used mine, but if I was staying at someone else's I would still ask. It's just polite.

liz70 Wed 15-Feb-17 11:43:27

You'd be welcome to use anything you find in our bathroom. However, some people don't seem to know the meaning of the word "hospitality", so that might not be the case everywhere you visit.

KungFuEric Wed 15-Feb-17 11:45:04

I think it depends what the stuff is. If it's a regular shampoo which is less than £3 a bottle then it would be fine, but I know people who buy £22 shampoo and would be pissed off if their brother or your husbands work mate took a big dollop of it.

SukeyTakeItOffAgain Wed 15-Feb-17 11:45:05

I would use other people's and I'd be fine with them using mine.

KirstyJC Wed 15-Feb-17 11:45:23

Wow - I would never assume I could use another person's toiletries! Loo roll yes, anything else no way! I have expensive facewash on the side of the bath but would be furious if anyone else used it. If you know you are staying at someone else's house then you pack your own stuff.

It would never have occurred to me that anyone would do this! Unless you are staying unexpectedly of course, which might be different (ie you pulled someone who stayed over) but even then I would ask and expect them to.

KirstyJC Wed 15-Feb-17 11:46:25

Not that I would mind if they asked for shower gel/toothpaste, and I would happily share that, but that it honestly wouldn't occur to me that they wouldn't have packed their own!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 15-Feb-17 11:46:45

I leave loads of nice stuff for people to use in the shower/bath, so yes I would assume I could use other people's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now