Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

And so it starts

203 replies

MimiSunshine · 27/09/2023 17:16

I cant accurately describe my emotions right now.
sad
fuming
disbelief

my primary aged niece has just ran a race in a, mainly for fun, but they do get 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on positions, inter-school event.

She’s utterly convinced that 1st place out of easily, 40+ girls went to a male child.

now I was too busy watching her and a friends child running so didn’t pay attention to the other kids but I could hear one of the other parents asking ‘was this a mixed race, I thought it was girls only?’

then my niece comes up and immediately says that a boy won, my friends child was also saying the same thing.

one of the mums went and asked an official about it and they told her that they’d asked the school the child was from and they’d been told it was a girl.

my niece is absolutely insistent that it was a boy.

I think overall I’m feeling sad that those girls have already encountered this situation and a) lost a place in the rankings
b) are being actively told to ignore their instincts

although my brother and I both told them that we believed them and no it wasn’t fair.

OP posts:
TrailingLoellia · 30/09/2023 13:53

Helleofabore · 30/09/2023 12:08

FFS! You might be hit by a bus? I hope not. There are rules and laws in the UK that should reduce that risk so that you are not hit by a bus. There are also laws and rules around participation in sport and who should be included in a race.

The point of the OP was that there was doubt about the rules and doubt about the rules if they were that only female primary schoolers of a specific were allowed to race were being followed. That is what I believe the intention of the OP was, am I correct @MimiSunshine , please correct me if I have got that wrong.

You and I and others have all
agreed it is possible that it could happen. Shall we focus on that and move away from the going-nowhere discussion about the probability of it happening ?

Or do you just want to continue down your path for whatever your motivation is? Which seems to be to label people as ‘bit conspiracy theory’ for pointing out that it could be possible and then point out how it could be possible.

To be clear, if the OP was about being hit by a bus (not you, of course), would you be on the thread telling everyone that the probably is very low so that it is likely that it was just a big van because that had greater possibility? Or would you be joining the discussion whether the laws and policies have changed and maybe people aren’t aware of the changes or that further discussion needs to happen to understand how and why the incident happened?

Edited

@Helleofabore
Our discussion stated with your objection to my opinion by stating among other things No. Not really. It is not ‘most likely’ at all that the girls were mistaken” [about the winner being a boy] (It wasn’t “all the girls” but let’s just leave that aside for now)

Now you are saying Shall we focus on that and move away from the going-nowhere discussion about the probability of it happening?

To which I will say, I noted your many posts on the athletic advantage of boys over girls when looking at population averages. That was an interesting but no less relevant side bar than discussing the probability of the scenarios of a transgirl vs a misgendered girl as both were possible.

It is most likely that the winner was a girl who had been misgendered as that is by far the most common reason for such circumstances, even today. I think you just don’t like discussing any scenario other than your very unlikely but obviously favoured one.

Or do you just want to continue down your path for whatever your motivation is? I’d rather ask what was your motivation was to kick off our discussion with your objection to my fact based and reasoned opinion? You didn’t have to go down that path and then back track saying you’d “only ever said it was possible”- I put that down to forgetfulness on your part just like you seem to be irritated when anyone other than yourself uses a bit of hyperbole. The thread is littered with you using hyperbole most eloquently I might add so perhaps forgive myself and others for also indulging ourselves too.

RebelliousCow · 30/09/2023 13:54

Likewise a woman I know of who plays in a women's football team said that once a trans identified male was playing with them, and his first touch of the ball was so fierce that it broke her wrist. She said she's never experienced anything quite of that force before, when playing with women.

People can deny sex based differneces as much as they like; but they are there.

Helleofabore · 30/09/2023 14:23

TrailingLoellia · 30/09/2023 13:53

@Helleofabore
Our discussion stated with your objection to my opinion by stating among other things No. Not really. It is not ‘most likely’ at all that the girls were mistaken” [about the winner being a boy] (It wasn’t “all the girls” but let’s just leave that aside for now)

Now you are saying Shall we focus on that and move away from the going-nowhere discussion about the probability of it happening?

To which I will say, I noted your many posts on the athletic advantage of boys over girls when looking at population averages. That was an interesting but no less relevant side bar than discussing the probability of the scenarios of a transgirl vs a misgendered girl as both were possible.

It is most likely that the winner was a girl who had been misgendered as that is by far the most common reason for such circumstances, even today. I think you just don’t like discussing any scenario other than your very unlikely but obviously favoured one.

Or do you just want to continue down your path for whatever your motivation is? I’d rather ask what was your motivation was to kick off our discussion with your objection to my fact based and reasoned opinion? You didn’t have to go down that path and then back track saying you’d “only ever said it was possible”- I put that down to forgetfulness on your part just like you seem to be irritated when anyone other than yourself uses a bit of hyperbole. The thread is littered with you using hyperbole most eloquently I might add so perhaps forgive myself and others for also indulging ourselves too.

Great. Thanks.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.