Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured

240 replies

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:14

Inspired by another thread as I don't want to derail the important discussion about Glinner's new book.

Which comedians don't include "jokes" about hating TERFs in their routines and aren't captured by trans ideology?

Not necessary, but bonus points if they don't rant about politics/Brexit like a Year 12 who just learned we have a government (I'm not a Brexiteer, I'm just sick of hearing Brexit rants when I signed up to watch comedy, it's not funny).

So far I've got:
Dave Chappelle
Glinner
Richard Ayoade
Mary Bourke (thanks Pink News for the article trashing her entire character because she had the audacity to say she was a woman not a cervix, great recommendation, she's really funny)

If you're a comedian feel free to name yourself here too, we all need more laughs.

OP posts:
SidewaysOtter · 14/09/2023 21:58

Another vote for Simon Evans, he’s very funny and I loved the economics series he did with Tim Harford form More Or Less.

ladygindiva · 14/09/2023 22:13

ScribblingPixie · 14/09/2023 14:26

She had this to say a couple of years ago.

I'm delighted by this. I've always been a fan of Jo. One of the funniest women ever imo.

ladygindiva · 14/09/2023 22:20

AlecTrevelyan006 · 14/09/2023 21:02

Sadly Kathy Burke is captured.

https://twitter.com/KathyBurke/status/1702349941979377833

Disappointing

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 22:23

@LemonRedwood Fair enough. I don't feel I know her well enough to call her Shappi. But you obviously do!

Zodfa · 14/09/2023 22:24

There are some names mentioned in this thread I have always thought are nasty bullies. I'm not particularly proud to have these guys "on our side".

Somanycats · 14/09/2023 22:42

Dave Gorman. Seen him live a few times, and no evidence of capture.

AlisonDonut · 14/09/2023 22:44

There are some names mentioned in this thread I have always thought are nasty bullies. I'm not particularly proud to have these guys "on our side".

Isn't this the 'comedians' thread? The 'nice guy/gal' thread is second on the left, through the double doors.

popebishop · 14/09/2023 22:47

If they're nasty bullies, they're not on my side.
Didn't actually think that needed pointing out, but to avoid any doubt...

Boiledbeetle · 15/09/2023 00:05

PriOn1 · 14/09/2023 13:41

Elaine Miller has done stand-up at the Fringe. I find her hilarious and believe she has posted before on Mumsnet about urinary incontinence. Any woman who can make that topic funny and easier to discuss is a genius, in my opinion.

Edited

I'm glad someone posted Elaines name. She is bloody hysterical!!

NashvilleQueen · 15/09/2023 07:48

Jen Brister - Never seen a full show but her videos pop up a lot and i find her quite funny. She's a lesbian and has twin boys with her wife. I'd like to think she knows what a woman is.

LemonRedwood · 15/09/2023 08:28

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 22:23

@LemonRedwood Fair enough. I don't feel I know her well enough to call her Shappi. But you obviously do!

What do you mean by I "obviously do"? I don't know her personally, but am going by statements she's made in interviews.

You said you didn't want to be "that person" in your original comment but you went in anyway without all the information.

WontSomebodyThinkOfTheOtters · 15/09/2023 08:50

When I want a bit of a laugh, I go on YouTube and look up Victoria Wood’s old sets. To me she is the perfect comedian.

CurlewKate · 15/09/2023 09:03

@LemonRedwood I heard her talking about how important it was for her to reclaim her name from the racist assumptions of her childhood that it was unpronounceable which led her to change it. It seems to me that we should stick to her original wishes, even if she's had to row back on them.

LemonRedwood · 15/09/2023 09:07

@CurlewKate Yes she did say that in the same interview where she said using Shappi in chat is fine. Not sure that's rowing back

archimedesconstant · 15/09/2023 09:14

waterlego · 14/09/2023 19:09

What was his take?

Clearly disagreed with it, but did it in a funny/poking fun at the ridiculousness of it way.

waterlego · 15/09/2023 09:16

Excellent @archimedesconstant. Good for him.

NyanBinaryJohn · 15/09/2023 09:20

Such a shame about Burke. She played a more convincing boy than most TRAs are convincing us of being the opposite sex. (I mangled that sentence, but I'm sure my point is clear enough).

Only this morning I read that both Richard Ayoade (unsurprising) and Jonathan Ross (very surprising, given his daughter's extreme wokery and his subsequent apology promising "educating" himself) have praised Glinner's book. Very heartening indeed.

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 15/09/2023 09:33

I heard her talking about how important it was for her to reclaim her name from the racist assumptions of her childhood that it was unpronounceable which led her to change it. It seems to me that we should stick to her original wishes, even if she's had to row back on them.

Obviously, it's up to her - but I also remember her talking, early in her career, about an offensive phrase that nasty idiots twisted her name into (didn't even sound at all like it).

I can well see how she is keen to reclaim her own name with pride, but that doesn't mean that people who logically shorten it in an obvious way - like we do with countless other names - have any ill intent.

Whatever her reasons for originally billing herself as 'Shappi', her doing so naturally led to her becoming widely known as that, as her fame grew. Jim Moir has now made it very clear that he wishes to be known by his own name, rather than as Vic Reeves, which was only ever a character; but most people still only ever think of him as Vic.

CurlewKate · 15/09/2023 09:46

@FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper "pride, but that doesn't mean that people who logically shorten it in an obvious way"

No, I agree. I'm not suggesting that anyone one here is doing it with ill intent. But like so many people who come to this country, she was forced into "conforming" as a child, and I do think we should do our best to redress the balance.

H34th · 15/09/2023 10:11

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:49

@Allthegoodnamesarechosen OMG I've just Googled Mr Menno and this amazing video came up:
Which I suppose also gives me a crash course on Ricky Gervais (also brilliant, great recommendation @StephanieSuperpowers and @RavingStone ), who I only knew for The Office previously.

Just watched this video.
So we'll put together- yet only used things that are already online. Why can't Panaroma produce something like that? Why isn't that on a national channel?

JemOfAWoman · 15/09/2023 10:16

Gussie Grips is brilliant! Highly recommend watching her on YouTube!

Wetandhorrible · 15/09/2023 10:23

turbonerd · 14/09/2023 15:39

Maybe it’s been mentioned, have only read page 1, but John Finnemore co-wrote Good Omens 2 which is very happy about trans and working prostitutes. In an odd, twee way.

I liked the show, of course it would be different with less Pratchett snd more Gaiman, but that was very noticeable in the rather protracted end scenes

I love Cabin Pressure and Souvenir Program, but I try not to learn about his views on this as I think I would struggle to enjoy his work in the same way, as suspect he is 'be kind'/'it doesn't hurt anyone',and that would mean he was either an idiot or not as humane as his comedy.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

FKATondelayo · 15/09/2023 11:17

Agree. I love John Finnemore but I genuinely can't imagine him being anything other than " let's be kind to everyone / is it really that important / tiny minority / most marginalised / let's take the toxicity out of the debate / both sides".

RomeoandJomeo · 15/09/2023 11:38

Also agreeing re John Finnemore. The lockdown series of Souvenir Programme (which I thought was brilliant) included a trans character in what felt like an uncritical 'the new gay rights' kind if way. (And Simon Kane, one of the stars of JFSP is very much TWAW)

WarriorN · 15/09/2023 11:48

Michelle is v funny and definitely not captured, thanks for the rec 🤣

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.