Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Comedians who are actually funny and not captured

240 replies

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 10:14

Inspired by another thread as I don't want to derail the important discussion about Glinner's new book.

Which comedians don't include "jokes" about hating TERFs in their routines and aren't captured by trans ideology?

Not necessary, but bonus points if they don't rant about politics/Brexit like a Year 12 who just learned we have a government (I'm not a Brexiteer, I'm just sick of hearing Brexit rants when I signed up to watch comedy, it's not funny).

So far I've got:
Dave Chappelle
Glinner
Richard Ayoade
Mary Bourke (thanks Pink News for the article trashing her entire character because she had the audacity to say she was a woman not a cervix, great recommendation, she's really funny)

If you're a comedian feel free to name yourself here too, we all need more laughs.

OP posts:
DerekFaker · 14/09/2023 18:28

fabmaccawhackythumbsaloft · 14/09/2023 17:51

Definitely Stewart lee

My favourite comedian. Never sold out . Doesn't do tv. Incredibly witty and clever in the way he deconstructs his act .

Are you sure you're talking about Stewart Lee?!

Abhannmor · 14/09/2023 18:35

DerekFaker · 14/09/2023 18:28

Are you sure you're talking about Stewart Lee?!

Haha. Nah defo not Stewart Lee. Complete woker. Bridget Christie the same. Golden bridge ? Tunnel more like.

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 18:39

Birgit Christie's on the "wrong side of history" I think.......

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 18:46

fabmaccawhackythumbsaloft · 14/09/2023 17:51

Definitely Stewart lee

My favourite comedian. Never sold out . Doesn't do tv. Incredibly witty and clever in the way he deconstructs his act .

Hilarious.

But seriously what comedian ARE you talking about?

Motnight · 14/09/2023 18:48

Kathy Burke has put a post on Twitter re Graham Linehan (l assume) and it's not good.

I loved Kathy. What a disappointment

popebishop · 14/09/2023 18:51

Look, the fact that Stewart Lee doesn't do TV is precisely why his 4-series-long TV show "Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle" was so funny.

You guys just don't get it!

archimedesconstant · 14/09/2023 18:51

I saw Micky Flanagan latest tour and a whole routine about the trans swimmer

BasilPersil · 14/09/2023 18:53

I wonder about Stewart Lee. One of his 'things' has always been setting up liberals (of which he would say he was) to feel smug or self congratulatory then ripping them down for it (especially if you've seen any of his longer form live shows). I wondered if 'the list' was sort of an elaborate joke of that type.

Maybe not, but he's pretty well known for playing with his audience.

archimedesconstant · 14/09/2023 18:56

Also saw a comic at a comedy club called Darius Davies who made the odd subtle joke about non-binary, found him on Twitter and he likes/follows a lot of Gc stuff

WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 19:01

RavingStone · 14/09/2023 16:44

Excellent call. South Park is brilliant for taking down anything and everything. Including untouchable subjects.

As we're mentioning animation, special mention has to go out to The Simpsons Season 16 Episode 10 "There's something about marrying" where they dealt with gay marriage positively, brought up the issue of trans marriage by deception very well, and debunked the cotton ceiling. All of this in 2006. I was on the edge of my seat for the ending and was really pleased it went the way it did. I haven't finished working my way through all of the most recent seasons (we recently got Disney+) but I am holding out hope it doesn't do a U-turn later down the line.

OP posts:
WomenShouldStillWinWomensSports · 14/09/2023 19:05

Kathy Burke has put a post on Twitter re Graham Linehan (l assume) and it's not good.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Oh God she seemed so on the ball and pro-women in that documentary about motherhood, women's identity, childfree women by choice and single parents by choice.

OP posts:
waterlego · 14/09/2023 19:09

archimedesconstant · 14/09/2023 18:51

I saw Micky Flanagan latest tour and a whole routine about the trans swimmer

What was his take?

TheCountessofLocksley · 14/09/2023 19:09

Oh dear.....that won't go down well with James Dreyfus (comedic actor who played in Gimme Gimme alongside KB). He's staunchly LGB and supports biological sexes.

Never heard Rhod Gilbert do or say anything out of the ordinary and given his and his wife's struggle with fertility (he talks about this public ally) I'm sure he knows what a woman is.

Ed Gamble and Jason Manford both seem to be neutral too.

CosyCoffee · 14/09/2023 19:12

Jason Manford made a remark about Graham Linehan on his radio show, something to the effect of 'he's gone a bit mad with all these Twitter rants, what a shame' sort of thing.

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 19:28

It would be incredibly brave to stand up against the orthodoxy.

DerekFaker · 14/09/2023 19:40

Jason Manford made a remark about Graham Linehan on his radio show, something to the effect of 'he's gone a bit mad with all these Twitter rants, what a shame' sort of thing.

Well, he went a bit creepy with his sexting of other women when married...

Privatelyliving · 14/09/2023 19:43

Not sure if she meets your criteria but I love Sindhu Vee

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 19:47

Kathy Burke's Twitter bio (afaik, it's actually her Twitter) says:

"Burkey with the good hair. My woke take brings all the cns to the yard."

FKATondelayo · 14/09/2023 19:54

Sindhu Vee - love her work but she is TWAW.

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 20:11

"Burkey with the good hair. My woke take brings all the cns to the yard."

It actually says 'c@n@s' - with asterisks instead of the @ signs - but MN assumes you want bold if you use asterisks!

FatherJackHackettsUnderpantsHamper · 14/09/2023 20:17

I'm guessing that a great many comedians - like people in general - are not TWAW; but are too afraid to stick their heads above the parapet (or don't see what it would gain them) - considering how vicious, angry and hateful many of the 'poor, dainty, vulnerable, victimised, kind, peace-loving, sensible' TRAs would react to it.

They act like it's the handful of brave ones who are a minority problem, with their beliefs representing the 'wise, moral vast majority' - but we all know how many people will tell you they love and admire you if you hold a gun to their throats.

TheCountessofLocksley · 14/09/2023 20:49

Oh! I'd not heard that. However I can kind of understand if, just as trans ideology peaked a lot of people, there are some GC Twitter accounts that I've hidden because they were frustrating me with their accounts/actions.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LemonRedwood · 14/09/2023 20:57

CurlewKate · 14/09/2023 14:48

@drspouse I hate to be "that poster" but she calls herself Shaparak now.

She has stated in interviews that she wants to be credited as Shaparak but in chat situations then Shappi is fine.

AlecTrevelyan006 · 14/09/2023 21:02
2Rebecca · 14/09/2023 21:32

At the beginning of lockdown I subscribed to Geoff Norcott's podcast channel. I unsubscribed as I was disappointed by him avoiding gender issues and having a stereotypical idea of women. He seemed to base his idea of women around his wife who seemed to conform to feminine gender norms and made a lot of sexist jokes about a dated idea of femininity. For funny comedians Elaine Miller of Holyrood merkin ( which autocorrected to mermaids!) fame is the funniest person I've seen so n the last couple of years

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.