Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Ladies Junior J Shield Semi Final #everythingsgoinggreatinireland

miri1985 · 05/08/2022 21:55

Saw the photos of this on reddit (www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/wh2bl3/trans_inclusive_gaa_le_na_gaeil_aeracha/) and assumed it was a mixed game until I read here that this was the junior womens final
reduxx.info/irish-lgbtq-inclusive-football-team-with-transgender-player-wins-womens-junior-final/

"While Valentino’s exact age is unknown, in a 2021 panel interview he stated he had been playing sports for “over 30 years.” "

OP's posts:
Please
or

Flywheel · 05/08/2022 22:03

Minor correction - junior in GAA is just a lower division, so it was an adult game, with teenagers on the team. Still, pretty shocking.

Please
or

miri1985 · 05/08/2022 22:10

Flywheel · 05/08/2022 22:03

Minor correction - junior in GAA is just a lower division, so it was an adult game, with teenagers on the team. Still, pretty shocking.

You're right, I got confused between minor and junior

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsJamin · 05/08/2022 23:09

Bloody hell that photo says a lot. Get men out of women's sports!!

Please
or

PaterPower · 05/08/2022 23:38

The man in question is quoted as saying he was competing for the first time after his transition.

What bloody ‘transition?’ I mean seriously, look at the pic of him playing in the game - what’s he done that would look (to anyone sane) like he’s made any serious effort to “live as a woman” - whatever THAT is actually supposed to mean.

Did none of the mums and dads of the 16 year olds he played against have anything to say? Then again, I guess that might get them a Police caution in the Brave New World that Ireland has become.

Please
or

EsmaCannonball · 05/08/2022 23:48

Middle-aged, mediocre men being allowed to steal women's spaces. You just know hardly anyone thinks this is ok but they just feel too intimidated to say it.

Please
or

Igmum · 06/08/2022 05:36

Wtf? And I bet I can guess which changing rooms they are using. Appalling.

Please
or

mrshoho · 06/08/2022 06:59

What in the name of hell is this? In what way could any sane person look at this situation and think this man should be competing in a junior women's event? Why is there not uproar from other players and their parents? Oh yes Ireland where it's now illegal to comment, disagree or question the trans ideology. World has gone mad.

Please
or

Clymene · 06/08/2022 07:01

People on Twitter are looking at this photo and going 'are you sure that's not the ref?'

It's absurd

Please
or

BernardBlacksWineIcelolly · 06/08/2022 07:11

Prior to relocating to Dublin in 2019, he was a resident DJ at a BDSM venue called the Ritual and Torture Garden, performing at both of their locations in Rome and London. According to a post on Valentino’s SoundCloud page, he also performed at a bondage festival in Munich.

he seems like just the sort of person I’d want in the changing rooms with my 16 year old daughter

Please
or

mrshoho · 06/08/2022 08:52

Go-Ahead Junior J Shield Final:

Na Fianna E 1-5, Na Gaeil Aeracha 7-11.

I see this team went on to win the final last Wednesday. I wonder was this middle aged man on the team again?

Please
or

Abhannmor · 06/08/2022 09:31

If this outrage doesn't Peak Ireland , what will ffs?

My local club was suspended for 12 months by the County Board for playing an unregistered player on two occasions. It was just some clerical oversight. But at least that player had no unfair advantage!

Not really a big GAA fan but I'm defo getting onto my local club about this. When we suggest doing anything for kids or teenagers round here some jobsworth says ' We can't do that cos : Insurance! ' Now we'll see about that....

Please
or

mrshoho · 06/08/2022 09:41

Gaa prides itself on player safety yet common sense went out the window here. I just can't imagine how parents/spectators/team coaches stood by and went along with these matches. George Orwell — 'The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.'

Please
or

puffyisgood · 06/08/2022 10:13

very transphobic of the redditor to take a photo of her on a bad hair day 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

Please
or

DublinDoris2000 · 06/08/2022 11:28

I'm gutted about this. I've just started playing GAA, through a club's mums group. It's so much fun, and a big part of the local community.
In my mind it should be simple safety>fairness>inclusion.
Just a though experiment, what if ladies/women's sport was rebadged 'female' would this get around self ID?
I hope the LGAA gets onto this quick.

Please
or

Abhannmor · 06/08/2022 12:17

puffyisgood · 06/08/2022 10:13

very transphobic of the redditor to take a photo of her on a bad hair day 👎🏻👎🏻👎🏻

Ooh. You'd get thrown off Twitter for that !

Please
or

littlbrowndog · 06/08/2022 12:25

Does look like the ref is about to tackle a girl. Ffs.

reading that piece he’s just the sort of guy you want in the girls changing room

Please
or

OchonAgusOchonOh · 06/08/2022 13:04

@miri1985 - can you ask @MNHQ to correct the op to state that junior is an adult division? Suggesting he's playing underage is just muddying the water. It's bad enough on its own.

Please
or

Circumferences · 06/08/2022 13:05

This just can't be real

Please
or

miri1985 · 06/08/2022 13:33

OchonAgusOchonOh · 06/08/2022 13:04

@miri1985 - can you ask @MNHQ to correct the op to state that junior is an adult division? Suggesting he's playing underage is just muddying the water. It's bad enough on its own.

I've reported my first post and asked them to change it. If they won't I can ask that the thread be deleted and a new one can be started

OP's posts:
Please
or

miri1985 · 06/08/2022 13:38

Abhannmor · 06/08/2022 09:31

If this outrage doesn't Peak Ireland , what will ffs?

My local club was suspended for 12 months by the County Board for playing an unregistered player on two occasions. It was just some clerical oversight. But at least that player had no unfair advantage!

Not really a big GAA fan but I'm defo getting onto my local club about this. When we suggest doing anything for kids or teenagers round here some jobsworth says ' We can't do that cos : Insurance! ' Now we'll see about that....

Thing is, I don't think it will because this won't be shared by traditional media.

RTE probably won't run a story about this, I will be surprised if the broadsheets will. It would be perfect fodder for liveline, I doubt Joe Duffy would touch this after what happened last month.

None of the political parties will make this into an issue,

Unless the GAA enact a new policy (which it would be very difficult to do given gender recognition in Ireland) I don't think this will make the mainstream.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see how this filters down to someone like my Mum

OP's posts:
Please
or

KatVonlabonk · 06/08/2022 13:41

I thought India Willoughby's tantrum shouting at the women the CBB House would be the end of trans activism....

But this is next level!!!

Please
or

pombear · 06/08/2022 14:58

Circumferences · 06/08/2022 13:05

This just can't be real

www.sportingpride.ie/events/transgender-participation-in-sport

Oh, it's real. Here's a chat from 2021 about trans people in sport, featuring Giulia. Hosted by Connor, a non binary trans person:

An interesting conversation. I found it particularly sad to hear Connor found so much community, and enjoyed the exercise being on a woman's team for several years, and that teammates were supportive even after Connor came out as nonbinary trans. Sounds like Connor misses that team, that they self-excluded from. It also sounds like Connor experienced earlier homophobia in the GAA when identifying as a lesbian.

I don't think either Connor or Violet, the other guest, reference changing rooms throughout the chat. Changing rooms seem quite important to Giulia:

7 mins: "honestly I am quite annoyed by some harsh approach that I got, I just had like, people tried to ask me if I could use a separate changing room and it wasn’t fair at all"

34 mins: "I transitioned at a gym, basically, I was training in a gym for six, seven years at a time and at some point I came out and two months later I changed the changing room I was using so I got the process, the impact of the process on my skin (this last phrase may lose something in the translation, as Giulia is Italian}"

44 mins: ""….other than ensuring fair and inclusive participation on the pitch it’s crucial to ensure to give safe accessibility to structured changing rooms"

Please
or

pombear · 06/08/2022 15:12

www.sportingpride.ie/events/transgender-participation-in-sport

At 7 mins: "honestly I am quite annoyed by some harsh approach that I got, I just had like, people tried to ask me if I could use a separate changing room and it wasn’t fair at all" 🤔

Ladies Junior J Shield Semi Final #everythingsgoinggreatinireland
Please
or

ThinkingaboutLangClegosaurus · 06/08/2022 15:32

I'm loudly applauding Ewan MacKenna, the sportswriter mentioned in the Reddux story, who noted that it was likely dangerous for a biological male adult to be playing against teenage girls. MacKenna later replied to a user taking issue with his tweet calling out Na Gaeil Aeracha, stating: “I couldn’t and wouldn’t have tweeted about it if the club didn’t risk the health and safety of young girls and women in their pursuit of inclusivity.”

Good man. We know that journalists, like many other people, risk losing their jobs if the trans twittermob can intimidate their employers. Maybe people who love sport are more likely to dislike cheating?

Thanks, Ewan Football Wine👏

Please
or

Crunchingleaf · 06/08/2022 16:02

I knew this day was coming because of Self-ID there is very little female sporting organisations such as LGFA can do about this. I was furious and sad when I saw the photo. Just when female sports are making progress in the mainstream this happens.

Gaelic Football and Hurling are an intrinsic part of Irish communities especially rural communities. You start as a young child and you grow up with your teammates. Other sports like rugby and soccer don’t have the same reach outside the cities that Gaelic Football does.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.