Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Nick Cohen suspended over trans rights row

WontonJulie · 03/08/2022 08:38

I see a certain so-called 'campaiging lawyer' has managed to get Nick Cohen suspended because of his gender critical views.

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/08/02/star-observer-columnist-suspended-trans-rights-row/

OP's posts:
Please
or

nauticant · 03/08/2022 08:45

There's much more going on here than the trans issue. Best to read more and get a rounded picture.

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 08:47

I can't read it, is there any sort of share token? What is Maugham alleging?

Please
or

NitroNine · 03/08/2022 08:50

Press Gazette article (non-paywalled).

Please
or

LizzieSiddal · 03/08/2022 08:53

From this article www.theneweuropean.co.uk/turmoil-at-the-guardian-as-top-columnist-is-investigated/

Four or five years ago, a group of 30 to 40 female journalists at the Guardian demanded a meeting with editor-in-chief Kath Viner to complain of a culture of misogyny and sexist bullying within the newsrooms.

Please
or

Serty · 03/08/2022 09:05

LizzieSiddal · 03/08/2022 08:53

From this article www.theneweuropean.co.uk/turmoil-at-the-guardian-as-top-columnist-is-investigated/

Four or five years ago, a group of 30 to 40 female journalists at the Guardian demanded a meeting with editor-in-chief Kath Viner to complain of a culture of misogyny and sexist bullying within the newsrooms.

This doesn't surprise me one bit, from the home of LOJ where they obviously hate women.

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:12

What's the trans angle? I can't see any mention of it in the non paywalled articles?

Please
or

Anactor · 03/08/2022 09:14

Mr Maugham took issue with one of the journalist's columns last year, accusing him of complaining "about the cancellation of transphobes".

The barrister - who runs the Good Law Project, a campaign group that takes legal action against alleged government overreach - then put out an appeal on Twitter encouraging women to share any complaints about Mr Cohen. Mr Maugham forwarded several allegations to GNM in late 2021 and published claims about Mr Cohen's behaviour online last month, claiming he was unhappy with how his concerns had been handled.

From the Telegraph article.

Please
or

CatherinaJTV · 03/08/2022 09:20

Another sign that the anti-trans media are NOT about "protecting women"

Please
or

Abhannmor · 03/08/2022 09:21

If I advertised for complaints against any random person I bet I'd get a shoal of replies. All sounds quite Orwellian.

Please
or

CatherinaJTV · 03/08/2022 09:22

CatherinaJTV · 03/08/2022 09:20

Another sign that the anti-trans media are NOT about "protecting women"

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:22

How is this male newspaper columnist's view on trans issues relevant to anything else he may or may not have done? You seem to be up on it all Catharina. Do elaborate?

Please
or

LK1972 · 03/08/2022 09:22

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:12

What's the trans angle? I can't see any mention of it in the non paywalled articles?

There isn't I don't think, except the TRAs and fox-murderer are trying to bring Cohen down. But surely only because of their commitment to protecting women and providing safe environment Wink

Kimono-wearer's thread with allegations from 13/7, as mentioned in that Press Gazette article mobile.twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1547218623919493122

Please
or

Allthegoodnamesarechosen · 03/08/2022 09:24

What is it with not so Jolly Maugham? Has he run out of foxes to beat to death?

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:24

But surely only because of their commitment to protecting women and providing safe environment

Oh, natch.

Please
or

WontonJulie · 03/08/2022 09:25

Abhannmor · 03/08/2022 09:21

If I advertised for complaints against any random person I bet I'd get a shoal of replies. All sounds quite Orwellian.

Exactly, how do we know it's not just TRAs lying to try and cancel him?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:25

If the guy has acted in a way that requires a disciplinary or sacking, he should get one. The culture at the Guardian is toxic for all women, as we well know.

Please
or

CatherinaJTV · 03/08/2022 09:26

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:22

How is this male newspaper columnist's view on trans issues relevant to anything else he may or may not have done? You seem to be up on it all Catharina. Do elaborate?

See for example the tweet I linked.

If someone is groping young women and Jo Maugham is highlighting this, "trans" has little to do with the suspension of said someone from their job.

Please
or

LizzieSiddal · 03/08/2022 09:28

This doesn't surprise me one bit, from the home of LOJ where they obviously hate women.

Indeed and there’s a woman in charge. So disappointing that she lets these men get away with such misogyny.

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:28

If someone is groping young women and Jo Maugham is highlighting this, "trans" has little to do with the suspension of said someone from their job.

I agree. Then why is it being reported as "a trans rights row"?

Please
or

CatherinaJTV · 03/08/2022 09:29

WontonJulie · 03/08/2022 09:25

Exactly, how do we know it's not just TRAs lying to try and cancel him?

apparently, there's a 12 (?) year history of women complaining. I find it sad that as soon as someone throws "trans" into the room, women are no longer believed and the man is to be protected.

Is "believe women" no longer a thing?

Please
or

Floisme · 03/08/2022 09:29

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:25

If the guy has acted in a way that requires a disciplinary or sacking, he should get one. The culture at the Guardian is toxic for all women, as we well know.

This. My only quibble is that I thought Cohen was an Observer columnist so separate staff, editorial etc?

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:28

I agree. Then why is it being reported as "a trans rights row"?

distraction and scapegoating, as per usual

Please
or

Ereshkigalangcleg · 03/08/2022 09:31

This. My only quibble is that I thought Cohen was an Observer columnist so separate staff, editorial etc?

Not sure how it works but Guardian Media Group is one organisation.

Please
or

LK1972 · 03/08/2022 09:31

Thanks @CatherinaJTV, timely reminder of the purity of his attackers motivations.

Definitely protecting women here!

On the other hand, if Guardian is such an awful place as fox-killer alleges:
'Since going public Maugham has since been approached by a number of women raising wider concerns about GNM which are unconnected to Nick Cohen.
He said that one person, who had worked in newsrooms at other national newspapers, “spoke of how, before she had joined the Guardian she had been warned about the culture but GNM was far worse than she had expected or experienced elsewhere”
then why does he have articles from the Guardian plastered all over his Twitter feed?

Surely it's now time to cancel Guardian/Observer? Otherwise they're giving clicks to evil oppressors of women?Shock

Please
or

WontonJulie · 03/08/2022 09:34

apparently, there's a 12 (?) year history of women complaining. I find it sad that as soon as someone throws "trans" into the room, women are no longer believed and the man is to be protected.

Is "believe women" no longer a thing?

TRAs aren't known for their adherence to the truth.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.