My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Feminism: Sex & gender discussions

Are you going to come out on Gender Critical Coming Out Day 19 December?

175 replies

MacNTosh · 09/11/2021 15:24

I’ve just read Glinner’s latest email about CG coming out day planned for 19th December. I think it’s a fantastic idea, I really want to do it, but I’m scared. Partly due to online backlash and partly because I don’t want to cause a rift with my dcs. What about everyone?

gendercriticalcomingoutday.org/

OP posts:
ArabellaScott · 07/12/2021 13:56

Just my 2 cents but wouldn't this be bad timing to bring up a potentially controversial topic (which may cause fallouts) with the people you plan to spend Xmas day with?

Everybody in my extended family on both sides is completely in accordance with me on this issue. As are almost all people, when made cognisant of the facts.

So, no.

ArabellaScott · 07/12/2021 13:57

@vivariumvivariumsvivaria

I'm not sure about this - we're not all quiet because we are scared.

I've done well asking the difficult questions face to face in my workplace and networks, and it would be a waste of my time to field hassle from keyboard warriors.

I've almost persuaded them to leave Stonewall, I don't want to mess that up by being "problematic" online.

I want to be encouraging of people who are going to jump but, not all of us are quiet because of fear - sometimes it's tactical.

Yep.
Ereshkigalangcleg · 07/12/2021 14:31

Fantastic work, vivariumvivariumsvivaria, yes I think many people need to be strategic.

Negligee · 07/12/2021 14:36

I don't use SM, but am completely open about my views in my day to day life.

vivariumvivariumsvivaria · 08/12/2021 12:35

I do feel torn about it - I want to be supportive of people who are going to announce on social media that they know sex is sex, and I'd also like to support Glinner and all the people who are doing such good work by being in the front line for the abuse, but I don't want to mess up the progress I've made in my little corner because it's fragile. Face to face seems best for my area.

Bosky · 08/12/2021 17:36

@vivariumvivariumsvivaria

I do feel torn about it - I want to be supportive of people who are going to announce on social media that they know sex is sex, and I'd also like to support Glinner and all the people who are doing such good work by being in the front line for the abuse, but I don't want to mess up the progress I've made in my little corner because it's fragile. Face to face seems best for my area.

Face to face is always going to work best, if that is something that a person can risk.

What is the most effective form of publicity: word of mouth from a trusted source.

The social media aspect can then be anonymous reporting of an IRL action to publicise it and enable others to amplify it.

If there is nothing to report, the social media action can be helping to publicise the actions of others. It can be done anonymously.

The point is the impact of concerted activity and broadcasting of information about activity on a specific day.

For example, today I crossed my fingers, hoped for the best and then broached the "women's rights issue" with my hairdresser, who I have known for over 20 years.

I could tell you a lot more about it here but it would only reach people reading this thread.

So that is a recent "GC Coming Out" event that I will save up to share on 19 Dec.

I do not intend to NC to my real name on Mumsnet or anywhere else to do that. If I did, I would not only be "outing" myself but potentially "outing" my hairdresser and putting her and her business in jeopardy.

Posting about it anonymously would not detract from the effect of adding to the cumulative impact of lot of people posting about "GC Coming Out" stories.
KittenKong · 08/12/2021 19:21

Anyone who knows me, knows me.

DoubleTweenQueen · 11/12/2021 09:31

I will be affirming myself as a 'Biological Realist' or BR, as affirmed in the House of Lords recently. Will that do?

Reclaim our own scientific and irrefutable label, I say.
I don't identity with anyone else's 'terminology'.

ArabellaScott · 11/12/2021 10:33

Face to face is always going to work best

Oh, yes. Far easier to pick up on body language, wee tells, hints and inferences, too.

BiologicalRealist · 11/12/2021 10:38

Like some of the previous posters have said people already know my view.

DoubleTweenQueen · 11/12/2021 10:42

I feel a name change coming on! Star

Truthlikeness · 11/12/2021 11:26

In real life, I've questioned misrepresentation of the EA2010 at work, I've pushed back against the inclusion of transwomen in my sports and I look out for ways to support women's rights, but I do it subtly because I risk losing a large number of friends - friends who I agree with on pretty much everything else. I think they will come round eventually - I'm playing the long game...

NoNotMeNoSiree · 19/12/2021 00:19

Yeah, I'm thinking I will.
(just not in the way most people on here will be thinking of doing!)

Iwishihadariver · 19/12/2021 07:28

Today? Bump!

DialSquare · 19/12/2021 07:44

@NoNotMeNoSiree

Yeah, I'm thinking I will.
(just not in the way most people on here will be thinking of doing!)

LOL
FrancescaContini · 19/12/2021 09:10

Been trying to do this, but by bit, for months and months. A couple of friends who a year ago were full-on TWAW, be kind, they’re so vulnerable etc are now showing some interest and open mindedness. I have a good friend who is absolutely of the same opinion and can see what’s going on, especially as her partner’s teen daughter is now demanding to be addressed as he. The girl already has diagnosed ASD and bodily issues resulting in self harm. My friend is at her wits’ end listening to the drama and considering ending her relationship as the girl’s father just enables it rather than questions it or tries to seek psychological support (or get the child OFF the bloody internet and show an interest in something more wholesome and less self-absorbed).

Most people just stay silent OR get angry and try to shut me down.

How do you all interpret the silence?

RufustheFloralmissingreindeer · 19/12/2021 09:22

My immediate family and my friends know my feelings

So no need to come out to them, not on social media with the exception of mumsnet and a few selective forums

One of which ive managed to lock myself out of 🤔

VelvetChairGirl · 19/12/2021 10:22

I think everyone who knows me already knows, I aint a shrinking violet and I am entitled to my views.

ArtemesiaK · 19/12/2021 10:28

I'm already well out on Facebook, though I have a very small number of friends. Have had two great stories to post already this morning- the Father Ted one and the Quiddich one. I can make my OH share at least one of them..... :)

thinkingaboutLangCleg · 19/12/2021 10:59

I’m wearing my “Women’s Rights are Human Rights” T-shirt today. Will be glad to discuss this with anyone who asks.

DialSquare · 19/12/2021 11:18

Like others on here, most people I mix with already know my views on this. I'm yet to meet anyone who disagrees with me to be honest.

Bosky · 19/12/2021 12:30

Kay Green has written an article especially for today,

“The gender-critical stance: a review of the basics”
kaygreen.blog/2021/12/17/the-gender-critical-stance-a-review-of-the-basics/

There seem to be quite a few people who “came out” a while ago who are doing something special for today.

LAVA.NZ are making a big splash! ❤️
www.lava.nz/

Are you going to come out on Gender Critical Coming Out Day 19 December?
SapphosRock · 19/12/2021 12:56

It took me a while but I think it's time I came out as proudly GC.

Everyone IRL has figured it out anyway.

SapphosRock · 19/12/2021 13:09

[quote Bosky]Kay Green has written an article especially for today,

“The gender-critical stance: a review of the basics”
kaygreen.blog/2021/12/17/the-gender-critical-stance-a-review-of-the-basics/

There seem to be quite a few people who “came out” a while ago who are doing something special for today.

LAVA.NZ are making a big splash! ❤️
www.lava.nz/[/quote]
That's a great article

WomanStillNotAFeeling · 19/12/2021 13:28

Most people I mix with irl know my views, I’ve yet to met an adult female irl that disagrees. One SIL is still in the be kind category but she knows TW are M. One male relative has tried to explain to me how I am wrong and TWAW Hmm he had a little huff and now doesn't raise the subject in the presence of any of the adult females in the family as he now knows we all know exactly what a woman is.

My industry is male dominated macho and so of course on line they are focussed on supporting TW over women. I won’t be coming out online any more than I have already as I don’t want the abuse but anyone who interacts with me online will have noticed I don’t join in with the TW cheerleading and I do say TWANW irl. Being too public online I will be dismissed and cancelled for virtually no impact.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.