Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Dr Adrian Harrop, who the funk does he think he is?

TrumpTrump · 09/05/2018 22:21

If you're not familiar with this supposed physician (yes, really), then you need to get over to Twitter and see this.

Harrop seems to spend most of his time harassing and insulting natal women whilst unquestionably supporting trans women. He is hiding behind his "medical expertise" and using it to shout women down.

It's both hilarious and terrifying! Shock

OP's posts:
Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 10/05/2018 12:12

I'm not a medic, just an admin who used to work with a lot of medics in a university dept, but I'm afraid I don't think they are always heavily supervised when first qualified. Staff shortages, night shifts etc etc. A lot of newly qualified medics are really thrown in at the deep end.

Please
or

MonsoonMama · 10/05/2018 12:14

If I ever needed medical treatment and was faced with him, I would be absolutely horrified and terrified. His misogynistic tweets indicate that he has very little, if any, respect for women. Out of interest, does anyone know if you would be entitled to demand an alternative doctor in those circumstances?

Please
or

ItrustAdrianlearnshislesson · 10/05/2018 12:22

Ah, you see the unvarnished reality Gaspo Smile

Well, I've just had to ask a (very good) trainee who is in her sixth year of training to rip up a document and start again. If she wasn't supervised, she'd be making fatal errors. Fortunately in our field those errors just involve money.....

Please
or

ItrustAdrianlearnshislesson · 10/05/2018 12:24

So, Adrian's qualifications in

-politics
-philosophy
-sociology

involved a five-year medical degree?
And Christian thinks that Adrian's ability to say the words amounts to critical thinking.

Yep, this has finally RadFemmed me.
Can I have a joining certificate?

Please
or

whoputthecatout · 10/05/2018 12:41

Well, one things for sure: he could never have been present at any anatomy classes.

Amazing what crawls out when you turn a rock over.

Please
or

AnnaMagnani · 10/05/2018 12:56

Medical training involves 5 years at medical school after which you are a doctor.

However you aren't then fully qualified until you have done 2 years Foundation training - a series of paid posts on wards, in GP etc , which are fairly heavily supervised as you are still pretty clueless.

At the end of this you still can't really do anything without doing further specialty training - the quickest would be training to be a GP which is another 3 years of training or traning to be a consultant - different specialties will take different numbers of years. These would be the junior doctor years so some junior doctors would be very experienced and senior and some not so much.

Please
or

DeleteOrDecay · 10/05/2018 13:01

He's an awful man who cares very little for women.

Please
or

ItrustAdrianlearnshislesson · 10/05/2018 13:25

thank goodness for that Anna - thanks!!

Please
or

NonSuchFun · 10/05/2018 14:04

I have been observing Dr Christian’s activities on twitter for some time now and often wondered how he has avoided censure from the GMC. I can only assume that when he assures Dr Adrian not to worry as they are a sensible lot that he is telling the truth.

For those that missed it previous highlights include:

The time he excitedly tweeted that he had just seen a syphilitic chancre in his private clinic that morning. Several people called him out over confidentiality on this. Obviously he wasn’t stupid enough to name a name but anyone who knew someone who was consulting him that day might have put 2+2 together. And how would you feel if you returned from an upsetting visit to the Dr to find your unfortunate diagnosis being gloated over on twitter?

Then there was the time someone posted something homophobic, and he retweeted and advised his fan club to post dog poo through their letter box. IIRC someone actually found the address. There was a twitter storm and quick retraction reminding his fans he meant a metaphorical letter box and not to take his instruction literally.

And that of course is his preferred modus operandi - dare to disagree with him on any of his favourite topics - recreational drugs, vaccines, homeopathy, religion, LGBT issues and he will call on his willing army of fans to give you a good trolling and no doubt learn your lesson.

Dr Adrian meanwhile operates by using big words, belittling put downs and running to Dr C for support. What a pair.

Please
or

Ereshkigal · 10/05/2018 14:17

The mutual congratulations between him and Christian is quite funny.

It is, in a nauseating way. Such a pair of narcissists looking in the mirror.

Please
or

WeeBisom · 10/05/2018 14:52

I'm just finishing up a PhD in philosophy, so maybe I can apply some 'critical thinking' to this issue of child brides. As an aside, what is up with this guy pontificating about philosophy, sociology etc., when he did a bloody medical degree? Does he think that because he's clever enough to get into medical school he automatically gains knowledge of these other disciplines? Anyway, if he'd read any philosophy, he would learn that almost every single philosopher agrees that cultural relativism, as a theory of ethics, is bullshit. They've agreed this since the late 1960s/70s. And philosophers hardly agree on anything. So the fact that 99% of professional philosophers think that cultural relativism is bullshit should give you some indication of how illogical and nonsensical a theory it is.

He'd also learn that the vast majority of philosophers agree that ethics is objective - that some things just are right, and some things just are wrong. Very few philosophers think that ethics are just people's personal opinions, man. And so very few philosophers would agree that FGM, or marrying off child brides, are bad just because, like, colonists, like, have the opinion its bad. Rather, he'd learn that most philosophers think that marrying off child brides, and FGM, are bad because these are objectively morally wrong actions. That isn't anyone's opinion. That isn't just a matter of taste. These are really, actually, objectively bad things to do: period. These actions aren't morally permissible anywhere: they're wrong in the UK, and they're wrong in Sudan.

One final point. When he talks about culture, whose culture is he talking about? The little girls'? Because I'm pretty sure the little girls don't get together and decide what their culture is, and all nod and agree that, yes they'd actually quite like to be married off at 12. It's not the girls' culture because they don't get any say in this. I'd bet that if we could ask those little girls they really would rather they weren't getting their genitals cut, or being married off to 50 year olds.

Please
or

thebewilderness · 10/05/2018 16:58

I find this “trans women are women” Dr deeply concerning as I think the ability to distinguish between men and women is a fairly basic level of knowledge that most all women expect from a Dr.

Once a medical doctor announces to the world on twitter and TV they cannot tell the difference between a male and female human it is quite likely becoming a corporation is their only choice. After all, "corporations are people too, my friends".

Please
or

ItrustAdrianlearnshislesson · 10/05/2018 17:02

"I'm just finishing up a PhD in philosophy, so maybe I can apply some 'critical thinking' to this issue of child brides."

thank you!

Please
or

noeffingidea · 10/05/2018 17:12

Can't stand 'celebrities' who incite their followers to harass anyone who disagrees with them. Deal with it yourself, you pathetic little arsehole, like a fucking grown up instead of behaving like a schoolyard bully.
I used to like superslimsupersize (or whatever it was called) but I sure as hell won't be watching anything with Dr Christian in it again.

Please
or

R0wantrees · 10/05/2018 17:20

Dr Harrap mentioned in iNews article about Olivia Palmer'.

"Green Party suspends former candidate who shouted “transphobic abuse” during Channel 4’s Genderquake"

"She was accused of “transphobic abuse” by Dr Adrian Harrop on Twitter after the contentious show aired."

coinues...
Palmer told i: “I was invited by ITN as a representative of Mayday4Women. We are well known for our uncompromising position that Transwomen are Men. All the participants on the sofas had been invited, many were told they would have an opportunity to speak.” “The audience were encouraged to be lively and vocal so when Munroe Bergdorf decided to mansplain feminism I had no hesitation in pointing out that he is a man. Munroe encouraged masked men to storm a feminist event in Bristol recently. It was incredibly hypocritical to ask for a woman to be removed from an event simply for disagreeing with him.”

inews.co.uk/news/politics/trans-women-genderquake-greens/

Please
or

Kyanite · 10/05/2018 18:21

Olivia Palmer had death threats made against her after Dr Harrop started his campaign against her and this tweet was his response to that.

Dr Adrian Harrop, who the funk does he think he is?
Please
or

diddlemethis · 10/05/2018 18:33

He's that kid standing next to the school bully parroting everything they say/do.

Please
or

thebewilderness · 10/05/2018 19:16

I doubt that this is the first lesson Olivia has gotten in the matter of what abusive men do when women say something they do not like.
Women are used to assessing the risk of speaking and balancing it with the knowledge that failure to object is assumed to be acquiescence.

From what I am reading on the twitter the managers of the show intentionally set the women in the audience up by telling them to speak up, hiss and boo or cheer as they chose, to support their team and provide a circus. Now the victims are being punished for participating as requested.

Please
or

MrsUnderwood · 10/05/2018 19:32

Ugh this tool. He’s been all over my fucking Twitter feed recently. I would not want him to be treating me or any member of my family if his online persona is in any way indicative of his attitude to patients.

As for Dr Christian, I think his attitude to women and transwomen sucks too. I remember there was a transwoman on Embarassing Bodies once who was on to talk about getting some facial feminisation surgery and breast implants. She’d already had SRS so that wasn’t needed but Dr Christian still insisted on having a good ole look at her neo-vadge 🙄🤔

Please
or

CertainHalfDesertedStreets · 10/05/2018 20:23

I'm just finishing up a PhD in philosophy, so maybe I can apply some 'critical thinking' to this issue of child brides.

God I love Mumsnet. Grin

Even though it's just a nice chat about buggies or whatever it is IW thinks it is...

Please
or

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 10/05/2018 20:27

Great post, WeeBesom! Good luck with writing up and your viva.

Please
or

DeleteOrDecay · 10/05/2018 22:06

Dr Christian makes me feel icky. Just something about him doesn't sit right with me.

Please
or

thecraftyfox · 11/05/2018 02:35

Dr Adrian Harrop really really has a high opinion of himself and his abilities. This may explain why he no longer works at Scarborough A&E, although he was there as a locum and is/was a trainee GP, he felt he should be telling senior consultants anf senior nurses that the department was in crisis. Maybe the dr and nurses were female so that's why mansplained emergency medicine to them, not like they had been doing it for years or owt...

www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/commissioning/commissioning-topics/urgent-care/i-was-told-not-to-speak-out-about-the-problems-in-ae/20036000.article

Please
or

Jeanhatchet · 11/05/2018 07:04

He won't engage with me on Twitter. Probably too busy finding out who I am and where I work and which political party I'm in so that he can take those things away from me.

Seems to be his aim with women.

I'm not in a political party. Because they won't defend my rights. None of em. Against men like him.

Please
or

LizzieSiddal · 11/05/2018 08:50

He’s issued an apology on Twitter for his justification of child marriage. I wonder whyHmm

“I would like to apologise for any statements that I made which appear to suggest that I am a proponent of cultural relativism. I am not, and I apologise for any misunderstanding. I acknowledge my failure to recognise the potential offence my statement made.“

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.