My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join the chat on our Weight Loss forum.

Weight loss chat

Am going to stop eating crap and lose 4 stone. Want to help me stay on the straight and narrow?

956 replies

SparkyMalarky · 12/09/2010 22:30

That's it really. Need to lose 4 stone, have failed at every diet I've tried so am going back to basics - 3 low fat meals, 2 healthy snacks, 2 litres of water, more exercise.

I have to do it - on a serious note, have two gorgeous DCs and I want to be fit for them - this weight is not good for me and I know that I'm putting myself at risk of heart trouble, diabetes etc etc - and what's more, I want to wear a size 12 again - instead of size 20 for fuck's sake.

Have failed on all the summer weight loss threads so am hoping that starting my own will spur me on! So anyone with me? Or just want to come and shout at me when I want a chunky kit kat?

OP posts:
Italiangreyhound · 13/09/2010 01:04

I just joined Rosemary Conley and it sounds very like what you are describing, healthy meals, low fat etc but also exercise. Good luck. Grin

NickOfTime · 13/09/2010 01:25

i'll do it with you sparky. i've got about 2 1/2 stone to lose and i just can't follow diet plans etc. i'm only 5'2" and down to two pairs of trousers, one dress, and two skirts that i can fit into. i can't even button up the shirts that my friend donated a year ago, and they were big on me then.

we'll be skiing at christmas, and right now i don't think i can get anywhere near my salopettes. they were skin tight last year and i've put on another stone since then.

but i'll shout at you when you want a kit kat as well, if you like Grin

i'm going to have a porridge sachet for b'fast (it's measured for me lol) and a yoghurt, something salady and fruity at lunch with a bit of protein, and then a bigger meal in the evenings (including carbs lol). i love food. i could happily eat all the time.

i'm also going to start running again this week.

giraffesCantDanceInBrokenHeels · 13/09/2010 05:43

Hello, can I join you? I keep joining in threads then vanishing after 2 days, I get confused with rules etc. I will do same as you but 3 snacks I think - need something late evening when I would usually eat choc. Am fairly good at eating well in day time its evnings that are my problem. Having said that have got in to the habbit of choc biscuits at toddler groups, so need to remember to bring some fruit to have with my cuppa today, half the time I dont even particularly like the biscuits they have, I just eat them anyway!

Want to start doig more exercise, have had this horrid coldy/cough thing for past 3 weeks and its making me very lethergic uugh.

Not hungry yet, will have brekkie after my shower I think.

YunoYurbubson · 13/09/2010 05:53

Me too. Me too. I desparately need to get into the right head space to shift this weight. It is making me miserable.

I am in the feel fat = feel miserable = eat crap = feel fat cycle.

sapphireblue · 13/09/2010 07:32

Similar situation here sparky.......I'm a size 20 (although the smallest I ever remember being is a 14) and desperate to find the motivation to lose a few stone for my DDs sake. I don't want them growing up with a fat mummy, or worse having a mummy with heart disease or type 2 diabetes. Maybe if I come and post at you every day it might help!

SparkyMalarky · 13/09/2010 07:32

Oh hurrah ladies - was worried I'd be doing it on my own!

Right - am starting this morning - porridge for breakfast (Nick - it's much easier when it's measured out isn't it!!) and then walking my eldest to school.

Giraffes - the evenings are my problem too and my lovely DH has had a dreadful habit of picking up some chocolate on the way home, so he's promised me that that that will stop. I might need shouting at at about 9 pm though when I'm trying to persuade him to nip out to the corner shop and buy one!

Yuno - I'm in that cycle too but am determined to break it.

Shall we keep it simple then - no rules, weigh in when you fancy it (I have to do it every day to keep on track) and you don't need to say your real weight if you don't want to but I am going to as it's part of my facing up to being fat (and not just a bit overweight)

Right, here goes - weighed myself last night, and after the weekend's pigging out I'm back up to 16 stone exactly. Bloody hell. At 5'8" that's not good.

Good luck everyone - back later:)

OP posts:
sapphireblue · 13/09/2010 08:51

I can top that sparky......17 stone Blush and 5ft 7. Weighed after breakfast (2 x toast and peanut butter) though because i didn't see your thread til after I'd eaten it!

I want to get back to around 13 stone as that's what I weighed when I got married 4 years ago.

I could do with some healthy snack ideas if anyone has any? I tend to just reach straight for the biscuit tin or the cheese because it's quick and easy (have 2yo and 7mo).

Think I will post what I have eaten each day and promise to be honest, in the hope that i would be too Blush to post "whole packet of biscuits, massive chocolate bar and take away"!

yuno......I recognise that cycle all too well!

onadietcokebreak · 13/09/2010 08:58

Can I pop in from time to time? Not one for serious commitment as it makes me more likely to fail.

SparkyMalarky · 13/09/2010 09:54

Hello :) yes pop in when ever you fancy - is lovely to have you.

Sapphire - come and post on here and we'll knock that biscuit out your hand and replace it with some raisins and a few almonds.

See, I know what I should eat but I just grab biscuits and chocolate but they seem easier - which is mad, because how difficult is an apple?

So far so good - didn't have any porridge after all so had 2 weetabix with a handful of raisins, glass of water and a coffee - but it is only 10 am, think I might need shouting at before the day is over!

OP posts:
ASecretLemonadeDrinker · 13/09/2010 10:13

can I join? Diets are useless, only thing that worked for me was healthy eating and exercise so that's what I want to do again. DS3 is 10 weeks tomorrow so think I am recovered enough by now GrinBlush I will get some museli for the morning, fruit for snacks, grilled turkey and rocket sandwich on seeded bread for lunch (I am very boring and stick to one thing for a while Grin) , muller lights and a well balanced dinner. DHs trainer only wants me to swim once a week for now, but I think I can manage 2. Just weighed myself, am 14st 5 1/2 lbs :( I WILL be.... 14 2 by next Monday. Mucked up today by having a pack of shortbread, but will get on track for lunch Grin

YunoYurbubson · 13/09/2010 13:09

I'm like you Lemonade. Diets just don't work. I need to exercise, but it's nearly 50 degrees here over the summer so I have had to stop running. I didn't have to put on a stone and a half though Hmm that was my choice to mainline crisps and biscuits and bread and butter and everything else that seems to leap into my hands every time I wander into the kitchen (8000 times a day because I am bored!)

Soooo.... how have I done today? Not very well.

2 x toast, butter and banana for breakfast.
Finished off the children's eggs.
Frogert and fruit (yum - at Pinkberry)
Out for lunch. Had salad, but don't suppose it was a partic healthy option as it was delicious with dressing and oil and other yummy things).
Aaaaand... some french stick with butter and cheese spread when I got in because I was hungry.

And, believe it or not, that is not a particularly bad day for me Grin.

Still to go - supper (haven't decided yet) and cinema where I will prob have popcorn.

Ho hum.

LostArt · 13/09/2010 13:48

This thread sounds like it could be my salvation-can I join?

I had a very depressing visit to my GP before the summer, when I found out that not only had I gained a stone in six months, but lost an inch in height. Shock I resolved to do something about it (the weight, not the height!), but managed to gain weight over the summer.

I like sapphire, I want to avoid diabetes and be activity and fit for my children. The only diet that has ever worked for me is a low sugar diet and exercise, so I'll try that again. If I can keep off the sugar for a week, I know I'll lose the cravings for it. Exercise is a different matter - I can always find something better to do.

Yuno- all that talk of french stick with butter and cheese is making me very, very hungry.

travellingwilbury · 13/09/2010 13:56

Can I join too ?

The cycle Yuno described is very similar to me and I really need to get out of it . I will weigh myself tomorrow morning but I think I am about 13 stone which is ridiculous .If I could lose 2 stone I would be happy . I am a 14 at that weight and it suits me . And to think of the hard work it would take to get to a 12 makes me a bit scared by the whole thing .

Good luck everyone Grin

SparkyMalarky · 13/09/2010 14:16

Come on in everyone :)

I was doing quite well today- very simple ham sandwich for lunch, banana for a snack this morning, couple of glasses of water, but just shared some jelly beans with DS so am on a sugar high!! On the plus side they have virtually no fat - can they count as a sort of healthy afternoon treat?

Our online shopping order doesn't turn up until this evening, so have treated DH and me to one of those fuller for longer M&S ready meals - which have apparently got a better balance of carbs and protein - hopefully that and a yogurt tonight will fill me up - evenings are always my downfall - I end up pacing the kitchen opening cupboards looking for something to eat which is inevitably rubbish (you never crave an oatcake do you?)

I'm thinking I might set a short term goal to start with - ideally I'd like to be the 11 and a half stone I was when I got married but I think that's totally unrealistic a bit optimistic, so am going to aim to be under 14 stone by Christmas - I was about 13 stone before I had DS 4 and a bit years ago, so I think that's more do-able...

OP posts:
looneymum · 13/09/2010 14:22

Hello Ladies.

Put that down Sparky.... you really don't need it! Have a glass of water and run up and down the stairs!

I need help too! I am just out of control. Binged so much last week that I have a really sore mouth from a marathon crisp eating session - how gross is that.

Had lost tons of weight by going on the Adultering Husband diet... some of you may have heard of it. You basically can't/don't want to eat out of fear/stress. Still, life goes on and I am much recovered and able to eat lots of crap in one sitting and am gutted that my lovely slim wardrobe is now rapidly being replaced by those big clothes I swore I would never wear again.

I think we should post tips that help at the time that the munchies strike. I know we've all heard them but every little helps.

Brush teeth
Put on lipstick
Do situps (after drinking water!)
Go out of the house and take no money!

Good luck all. Looking forward to hearing about your day Sparky.
xx

dotty2 · 13/09/2010 15:33

Hi everyone - I could do with a bit of help with motivation. I've been trying basically this approach for a couple of months and have lost 9lbs since the start of July (including 2 weeks in Devon when I allowed myself the odd ice cream and cream tea and managed to gain only 1lb, which I saw as a result). But my loss seems to have levelled off and I am bored of salad and craving chocolate. I'm 5'8 and now 13st3, which makes me too small for my existing size 18 clothes, but is not enough to have gone down a size, if you see what I mean. DH says it's good to do it slowly. But at 1lb a week it will take me until sometime next spring to be down to 11st 7 (my unambitious target). And I'll never keep it up for that long. Short-term goal is under 13st by the end of the month so might pop in now and again for a kick up the backside.

mamadiva · 13/09/2010 15:54

I'll join you, I got into weight watchers mainly for the fact that someone else will be weighing me rather than the diet TBH. Like you I'm just trying to get into a healthier mind set.

I have 7 stone to lose BTW Blush

NickOfTime · 13/09/2010 16:00

oo, dotty - you sound like you are doing really well! maybe up the exercise for a week or so to kick-start loss again?

porridge - done Grin (different timezone lol, i haven't really just got out of bed!)

today is going to be mad busy though, so i'm going to go and get something halthy out of the fridge to take to work, otherwise i won't get the chance to eat until about 9 tonight and then i'll consume whatever's left in the entire kitchen

a lot of it is being prepared and having something healthy handy, isn't it? i'm just not, very...

NickOfTime · 13/09/2010 16:01

halthy? you know what i mean Wink

Preciousdaisybear · 13/09/2010 16:20

Hi, can I join please? Have just had ds3 4 months ago and clock is ticking for my return to work :( Need to lose 3 stone by end of Nov ha ha. I need your help to keep me on course. Going to be sensible and have 3 meals plus snack on fruit/veg instead of choccy and crisps. Here's the AA bit! I am 5'4'' and weigh a fag paper short of 13 stone. Size 16 (just) and the only person I know to have put weight ON after having a baby!

dotty2 · 13/09/2010 16:47

No you're not, Precious. I put on weight after giving birth to both of mine. I was sooo tired and would eat chocolate whenever I had a moment's privacy (I used to keep a secret stash in the utility room!) for the short-term energy boost.

Yes - will do some more exercise for a week or two and try to keep going. Have had a stressful day and a kitkat, but they're only 107 calories, and I did put a yoghurt back on the shelf in Costa when I realised it was 300+, so I guess all is not lost.

SparkyMalarky · 13/09/2010 16:52

I put on with both of mine too - I weigh a pound more than I did a week after DD was born - and she's one and a half now!

Managed to resist cake in the cafe at swimming lessons this afternoon...now going to have to try not to eat all the kids leftovers. But so far I don't need shouted at (sorry!)

How's everyone else doing?

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MeMudmagnet · 13/09/2010 17:00

I need a kick up the bum too.
I work from home, some whenever I pass the kitchen, I grab something. Always biscuits, cake, chocolate, never a banana or grapes etc.

I'm 5'10" and about 13 stone. In last few years I've gone from a small 14 to large 16.

It got piled on when I stopped running about a year ago. So main exrcise now is dog walking.

I know I need to stop eating to lose the weight, but don't know how to stop the food from going in my greedy gob.

looneymum · 13/09/2010 17:03

Hi All. This is the most gruesome time of the day. Am making tea for kids. Have heated up crusty bread and have just spread butter on it... those crusty bits at the end may be just too crusty for their delicate little mouths and I could just smother them in lurpak and stuff them in...........NOOOOOOOOOO

solo · 13/09/2010 17:07

Can I join in too?

Tomorrow Dd starts at nursery and I am planning on walking the two return journeys each day, making a total of around 25 miles a week. I'm also just cutting down on meal sizes (when I'm at Mums anyway as she tens to serve whopping great big meals), and I'm having a go at this ~ I've c&p'd it from an email. Sorry it's so long.

It's long but very informative

We all think eating fruits means just buying fruits, cutting it and just popping it into our mouths. It's not as easy as you think. It's important to know how and when to eat.

What is the correct way of eating fruits?

IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUITS AFTER YOUR MEALS! * FRUITS SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

If you eat fruit like that, it will play a major role to detoxify your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD. Let's say you eat two slices of bread and then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it is prevented from doing so.

In the meantime the whole meal rots and ferments and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil....

So please eat your fruits on an empty stomach or before your meals! You have heard people complaining - every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats up, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet etc - actually all this will not arise if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. The fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas and hence you will bloat!

Graying hair, balding, nervous outburst, and dark circles under the eyes all these will NOT happen if you take fruits on an empty stomach.

There is no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruits become alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruits, you have the Secret of beauty, longevity, health, energy, happiness and normal weight.

When you need to drink fruit juice - drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT from the cans. Don't even drink juice that has been heated up. Don't eat cooked fruits because you don't get the nutrients at all. You only get to taste. Cooking destroys all the vitamins.

But eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it. You can go on a 3-day fruit fast to cleanse your body. Just eat fruits and drink fruit juice throughout the 3 days and you will be surprised when your friends tell you how radiant you look!

KIWI: Tiny but mighty. This is a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin E & fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice that of an orange.

APPLE: An apple a day keeps the doctor away? Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants & flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C thereby helping to lower the risks of colon cancer, heart attack & stroke.

STRAWBERRY: Protective Fruit. Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits & protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.

ORANGE : Sweetest medicine. Taking 2-4 oranges a day may help keep colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent & dissolve kidney stones as well as lessens the risk of colon cancer.

WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher.. Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost our immune system. They are also a key source of lycopene - the cancer fighting oxidant. Other nutrients found in watermelon are vitamin C & Potassium.

GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for vitamin C. They are the clear winners for their high vitamin C content. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene; this is good for your eyes.

Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer! Can u believe this?? For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you. It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal.. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.