Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Shame on Andrew and his demands

cyclingmad · 14/04/2021 09:44

At a time when the Queen has lost her partner, he is making demands about uniform. Its the last thing she provablg cares about.

Well he hasn't returned to public duty yet not has his named been cleared so where does he get off demanding to be promoted up to Admiral and wear the uniform.

OP's posts:
Please
or

VladmirsPoutine · 14/04/2021 14:35

Have you been reading the DM? I saw a headline somewhere on Twitter but I'd always take whatever the publish with a pinch if not tonne of salt. Not a defence of Andrew btw! The only thing he should be wearing is an orange jumpsuit.

Please
or

Plumtree391 · 14/04/2021 16:36

What demands? Were you present when he made the demands?

Sounds like a rumour to me. Another bit of gossip to add to the pile he already has.

He was a naval officer for many years and saw active service in the Falklands, therefore he is entitled to wear a uniform if he wants to. It's nobody else's business, least of all mine - or yours.

Please
or

DeRigueurMortis · 14/04/2021 16:42

Well a coding to him it's (literally) nothing he'd get into a sweat about.....

Please
or

MrsTreglowan · 14/04/2021 16:45

What demands? Is this more DM shite?

Please
or

cyclingmad · 14/04/2021 17:11

Funny if it was Harry it would be a different story, but when its another RF member everyone says its fake news

OP's posts:
Please
or

Apileofballyhoo · 14/04/2021 17:27

DH wants to know if it's a girls' school uniform or something?

Please
or

BuggerBognor · 14/04/2021 17:39

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

Please
or

Plumtree391 · 14/04/2021 20:00

BuggerBognor Wed 14-Apr-21 17:39:37
I think the RF should acquiesce and let him dress up as an Admiral.

Like this :-)?:

fineartamerica.com/featured/sir-joseph-porter-kcb-marty-fuller.html

Seriously I doubt the truth of this story. It just doesn't sound real.

Please
or

ssd · 14/04/2021 20:04

He'd be better dressing up as Jimmy Saville

Please
or

RoseAndRose · 14/04/2021 20:10

@cyclingmad

Funny if it was Harry it would be a different story, but when its another RF member everyone says its fake news

It's not quite like that. The Independent cited only the DM as the source, but also contained a rebuttal:

"A source close to The Duke told The Independent: “The Duke of York is very keenly aware of Saturday’s funeral being a moment for the Duke of Edinburgh, HM and the nation.

“He has neither wish nor intention to distract from that. Speculation on what he may or may not wear is just that, speculation, and no matters of this nature have yet been decided upon.

“The Duke of York will do what is appropriate to the circumstances - he remains stepped back from royal duties.”

It'll be the Queen who decides wears what.
Please
or

Oldbutstillgotit · 14/04/2021 22:28

I have just read that all the men will wear suits

Please
or

Roussette · 15/04/2021 09:49

I wish they'd make it clear. Do we all have to dress up as an Admiral on Saturday?

Please
or

Plumtree391 · 15/04/2021 13:50

@Roussette

I wish they'd make it clear. Do we all have to dress up as an Admiral on Saturday?

You can if you want to.

Me - I'll be watching the TV in my dressing gown.
Please
or

Abraxan · 15/04/2021 13:53

@cyclingmad

A couple of the tabloids have already blamed this 'no military uniform' decision on Harry, with no reference to Andrew at all.
Please
or

ancientgran · 15/04/2021 13:57

I don't think there would be much uproar if Andrew couldn't wear his uniform, on the other hand the Harry fans would be up in arms if he couldn't.

I think the Queen has done the classic mother move, none of you are wearing uniform. End of story. She's a class act.

Please
or

picklemewalnuts · 15/04/2021 14:03

Imagine being in the position of needing to thank ahead and imagine every possible scenario and prepare for it. While grieving.

This was possibly planned long ago of course.

Please
or

Abraxan · 15/04/2021 14:05

To be fair Andrew's 'crimes' are far worse than Harry's 'crimes' surely?

It could also be the case that Prince Philip had already requested a more informal funeral without ceremonial and military.
Nine of us will ever really know I suspect.

Please
or

RoseRedRoseBlue · 15/04/2021 14:10

Whatever the ins and outs of this, once again the Royal Family come out of it looking petty and out of touch.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 15/04/2021 14:13

@Abraxan

To be fair Andrew's 'crimes' are far worse than Harry's 'crimes' surely?

It could also be the case that Prince Philip had already requested a more informal funeral without ceremonial and military.
Nine of us will ever really know I suspect.

Who are the nine??????
Please
or

Overdueanamechange · 15/04/2021 14:17

I pretend not to give two hoots about the monarchy, but I secretly love the Queen. Over the uniform issue she has obviously put her foot down and said this is about the DofE, and nothing to do with Andrew and Harry's dramas. She is brilliant.

Please
or

Spudlet · 15/04/2021 14:25

Although the official line is that it’s no uniforms to avoid embarrassing Harry, I can’t help but think that’s he’s being at least partly used as a shield for Andrew here, to avoid Andrew being embarrassed (and him embarrassing whichever branch of the military’s uniform he would have worn).

I think the received wisdom is that Andrew is the favoured son (and Harry probably isn’t exactly Mr Popular anyway after Oprah), but that Charles has a lot less time for him... in the fullness of time it will be interesting to see whether Andrew continues to be shielded by his big brother. Particularly at the expense of Charles’ son.

Please
or

Crafting1Queen · 15/04/2021 14:27

OFGS, really scraping the bottom of the barrel here.

Please
or

BlackCatShadow · 15/04/2021 14:28

The Queen must be tired of them all bickering like children.

Please
or

ohforarainyday · 15/04/2021 14:31

The whole thing is so petty and embarrassing.

The royals wore military uniform to the Queen Mother's funeral, even royals who had never served a single day in their lives wore their "honorary" military uniform. So the fact that decorated military vets who saw active service in combat aren't allowed to wear their own hard-earned uniforms, is pretty disgusting IMO.

Please
or

ScrambledSmegs · 15/04/2021 14:33

It's not a state funeral in the proper sense, thanks to covid, so the decision for suits to be worn instead of military dress uniform makes perfect sense.

Not sure it really has anything to do with either Harry or Andrew, but tabloids gonna tabloid.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.