My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For beauty and fashion style advice, join in our Style forum chat.

Style & Beauty

Christmas Party dress help!

162 replies

traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 14:13

I'm not long back to work after maternity leave and have a Christmas party night this year. I'm completely dreading it. I've had two children in the past three years and my stomach is horrible. I also don't like my upper arms. I like my legs though so that's something I guess.

I know it's next month but I really like the team I work with and want to go out with them but want to look good too! I haven't been out properly in years without a baby attached for me and want to enjoy my night off.

I'm a size 14, smallish busy and 5'7''. I'm a peely-wally Scot with dark hair and normally wear black.

Any advice on wear to look or suggestions?

OP posts:
madvixen · 11/11/2018 14:17

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/shop-all-dresses/becca-star-knitted-dress/204947812

Becca dresses are my go to. I can ruche it up a little to hide my tummy, the long sleeves hide my arms and they are really comfortable. I have a black and gold one that I bought a couple of years ago and it's my favourite party dress

traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 15:55

@madvixen ooo I like that a lot! Do you think that'd be ok for a Christmas do or the one with gold stars?

I'm honestly so clueless at all this- I live in jeans and jerseys on a daily basis 🤦🏼‍♀️

OP posts:
WishfulSprouts · 11/11/2018 15:56

F

madvixen · 11/11/2018 16:33

@traceyturnblatt There's loads of different colours available, I have a shimmery one like this www.houseoffraser.co.uk/women/phase-eight-shimmer-becca-batwing-dress/d846193.pd#275329081,q=becca-batwing-dress. I wear it with black leggings and either black boots or black heels. If you love your legs, you could go with a fabulous pair of patterned tights under a plain one. They tend to do new colours every year so it's also worth a search on EBay (phase eight Becca) and see if any take your fancy on there.

CremeDeSudo · 11/11/2018 16:34

I'm also struggling as currently on mat leave and on a VLCD trying to shift the baby weight and don't want to spend lots but want to look nice! Am 5,7, busty and hippy and still have just over 2st to lose.

I love that Phase Eight dress! I might buy that when I'm closer to target!

For Christmas however I can't resist sparkle.. I'm thinking a sparkly/sequin skirt, but not sure about a top yet. H&M have a few options!

Lwmommy · 11/11/2018 16:39
traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 16:43

@CremeDeSudo I love sparkles and sequins but am so unbelievably self conscious of my stomach it's unreal.

@Lwmommy That dress is beautiful but I know it's just cling to all my lumps and bumps.

Think I could get away with wearing my pjs?

OP posts:
traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 16:44

@madvixen that sparkle one is beautiful too. Going to look on eBay just now

OP posts:
poppy2021 · 11/11/2018 16:55
CremeDeSudo · 11/11/2018 17:04

Get some shapewear!

Then something looser on top?

traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 18:17

@poppy2021 I really like that!

I'm in my early 30s so it doesn't look too young or old does it?

@CremeDeSudo shapewear always makes me really uncomfortable even in the size up. Do you recommend any particular brands?

OP posts:
CremeDeSudo · 11/11/2018 18:27

I've just got Tesco and Sainsbury's ones but I prefer the ones that come under your bra and are more like a skirt, not pants/shorts..will find a link

CremeDeSudo · 11/11/2018 18:29
bitofabelly · 11/11/2018 18:49

Hi, I find wearing support underwear or fitted ruched dresses horrible if I am feeling pouchy. Swing dresses are my go to. You mentioned you have good legs..these dresses will hide a multitude...pair with statement earrings and great heels, dark tights and you are good to go.

traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 18:50

@CremeDeSudo that looks fab! And also less hassle when nipping to the loo after one a lot of gins!

OP posts:
traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 18:52

@bitofabelly I LOVE that dress and I wouldn't ordinarily pick blue.

Don't know if I can justify £89 on a dress when I'll need to get shoes too 😞

OP posts:
bitofabelly · 11/11/2018 18:54

I've tried it on and it's really lovely...I think they do a wine too...worth popping in to take a look...it's very lightweight so would carry in to summer too...I'm not flush but sometimes it's worth spending a little for feel good factor xxx

poppy2021 · 11/11/2018 19:45

@traceyturnblatt I think it's ideal. I love Roman Originals. My go to for work dresses as well

goose1964 · 11/11/2018 20:15
traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 20:17

@bitofabelly it is my first night out in what feels like a decade so might be worth it!

@poppy2021 looks like I'll be doing a lot of shopping!

OP posts:
traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 20:20

@goose1964 your DDs dress is beautiful as is the Dorothy Perkins one but I think my arms would be on show to much.

To be honest I just wish I could wear whatever I liked but I'm just not confident enough!

OP posts:
fireplacetiles · 11/11/2018 20:23

I am also tummy conscious and have bought this for xmas parties, totally skims that area, covers my arms and draws attention to my legs and boobage, look great with dark hair. It was £17 in the sale!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

traceyturnblatt · 11/11/2018 21:02

@fireplacetiles that dress is gorgeous- will take a look at it even though red is a colour I've never worn!

I like to blend in the background

OP posts:
ellequick · 12/11/2018 05:47

This board is so dangerous! Just brought myself a Becca dress Blush (thanks for the tip @madvixen)

CremeDeSudo · 12/11/2018 09:11

@ellequick I've only just about held off from a Becca dress because I'm intending to treat myself once I hit weight target! Love it 😁

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.