sleepless of mumsnet - I'm too tired to think of a good title

zombiemeow · 29/01/2016 21:03

New thread Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

Pyjamaramadrama · 16/02/2016 12:24

Good luck Zombie, hope they are able to help.

Please
or

fluffikins · 16/02/2016 12:38

Good luck zombie!!

Purple, we have a vague routine simply based around the fact I have to be up at the same time every day to take Dh to work, then I have to fit in 2x 1hr dog walks which are her 2 naps (in the sling). But apart from that I haven't got any nap routine or anything - she rarely naps if not in the sling. It'll all change in the next few months anyway as she drops a nap and starts eating more hopefully so I'm not stressing about it

Please
or

zombiemeow · 16/02/2016 15:07

Hi all,

Just got out. She reckons it's severe separation anxiety. She's prescribed liquid melatonin. She said that's the hormone your body produces to sleep. She said its 100% safe and definitely will work but I'm a bit worried about giving it him Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

starfish12 · 16/02/2016 15:46

That sounds like a routine purple - we are similar and naps just depend on what time he wakes up in the morning rather than the same time each day. He still mostly needs a 3rd one which I'm dying to get rid of!

Oh wow zombie, great to have a reason behind it all. Is there stuff you can work on when he's awake to help him overcome the separation anxiety too? Good luck trying the melatonin - maybe obsessively google look up what it's for to put your mind at rest. Did you feel she listened and really got to the bottom of it?

We actually had a good night! I found him asleep sat up at bedtime when I checked on him (so sweet!) And he slept till 4am... quick boob feed and back off till 630am!!! I've decided not to worry about boobing him in the night when previously I hadn't. If it works it works... right??!

Please
or

zombiemeow · 16/02/2016 15:56

Star that's a great night!!

Will have a mega Google in a bit Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

fluffikins · 16/02/2016 16:43

I've heard of melatonin for jet lag. I wonder if you wrapped him up and took him outside for scheduled times in the day he'd get it naturally though?

Just realised that we're both ill. I'm aching all over, she's dosed up on calpol. Feeling awful with chills and temperature and just want to go to bed but Dh not back until 7:30 Sad

Please
or

starfish12 · 17/02/2016 10:43

How are you feeling fluff? Hope your night was ok?

Did you try the melatonin zombie?

Please
or

zombiemeow · 17/02/2016 11:22

Hope your feeling better fluff. Is it in the day I would take him out to get melatonin?

Star I didn't try it last night as he had the best night he's had in... Maybe ever Shock he slept 7-4am then he woke up, reached and grabbed my hand and fell asleep holding my hand until 5 Shock

OP's posts:
Please
or

starfish12 · 17/02/2016 15:32

Oh bless him re the hand holding zombie. And 7-5am.... woo hoo!!!!! Xx

Please
or

fluffikins · 17/02/2016 17:10

Well I thought melatonin was related to sunlight so essentially it'd just be exposing him to more. I do wonder if I'd had a winter baby if she'd be sleeping better now as she'd have been outside a lot more

Please
or

zombiemeow · 17/02/2016 17:56

Thanks star Grin

Fluff will give it a go! I'll have to try and take him the park and on walks more I think if it ever stops raining.

OP's posts:
Please
or

zombiemeow · 17/02/2016 17:57

Thanks star Grin

Fluff will give it a go! I'll have to try and take him the park and on walks more I think if it ever stops raining.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Purpleboa · 17/02/2016 21:55

Hey all. Yay for the good sleeps! Long may they continue.

Just creeping on here for a moan. After a fairly good week away, sleep has gone back to its usual shit self. Last two nights have been particularly bad. She keeps waking crying and I wish I knew why. I was trying to remain positive but the tiredness is sinking back in along with the feelings of despair and hopelessness. She'll be 8 months next week and I cannot believe we we are still here. Even though she's eating a bit now, it's made no difference to her sleep but didn't expect it to

Not sure what I'm after. Anyone around for a bit of hand holding and reassurance please???

Please
or

Purpleboa · 17/02/2016 21:59

Should add that DD is on the verge of properly crawling. And is getting very frustrated with it. So guessing that's maybe a factor?

Please
or

Purpleboa · 17/02/2016 22:47

Please anyone? I'm so about to lose it here...6th wake up. No fucking point in even trying to sleep tonight. I fucking hate my life.

Please
or

ACatCalledFang · 17/02/2016 23:26

Purpleboa, I can't help but I can certainly commiserate. It's rubbish, isn't it? DS is 5.5 months, his sleep went to pot at 13 weeks and it's getting worse, not better. First got him down in his crib at 2040 tonight; he's woken three times since then and have had to feed twice (didn't mind the first time as that was the second half of a full feed but am sure the problem is partly wind and he won't get it out, but will only stop crying if fed...).

I'm desperate to get him sleeping longer in his crib - he used to do 5 hours no problem but now the night time record is 2 hours and 45 minutes is more normal. Also trying to settle him without feeding but that's inconsistent.

I'll put him down in a minute, he'll be awake by midnight, and then I have the choice of feeding him in bed to get some sleep (don't sleep well with him there), or trying to resettle him in his crib which means I get no sleep. I'm exhausted but unless he's in the bed with me, I almost see no point sleeping myself as I'm just up every 45 sodding minutes. He won't settle for DP at all, so it's all down to me.

I bet crawling is a factor for your DD. DS has a new party trick of arching his back, especially when rolling, which doesn't help when trying to settle him as he looks as though he's trying to climb out of the crib.

I'm starting to get really pissed off with the whole situation, he's the worst of our NCT gang by a long chalk and I nearly screamed when one of them asked me today whether I'd tried a bedtime routine and white noise. Er, don't you think I've thought of that already?! (And breathe...)

I'd share my chocolate stash but meanwhile, have a Brew.

Please
or

zombiemeow · 17/02/2016 23:42

Sorry your having a crap night purple, it's not fair when they go bad dare they look like they're improving!

I would say crawling is a factor for most babies but my ds has always been crap at sleeping!

Hope your night improves Thanks

We're having a shocking night too. Ds has been up for the last half hour or so wanting to be helld. Bout his 7th wake up I think. He's so heavy now he's pulled something in my back and it's so painful Sad

OP's posts:
Please
or

jhb2013 · 18/02/2016 00:54

Evening/morning all. I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks, finding support in our collective exhaustion! I have a 9 week old, my first, and am really starting to feel the exhaustion of the relentless lack of sleep/nighttime feeds. My husband doesn't seem to understand, he offered to do the nighttime feeds last night (probably to stop me moaning about bring tired) and of course she only woke once! Back to me tonight and we've already been up three times. I honestly feel as though I'm going to be doing this forever and that I have a 'bad baby' as I know people whose babies sleep through the night at 6 weeks (how?!). I feel guilty though because she is actually a very lovely baby. I'm just so tired!! Please tell me it gets better?! Confused

Please
or

Pyjamaramadrama · 18/02/2016 07:28

We were up for about 2 hours in the middle of the night.

I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, it's half term so ds1 is home, I've got a cold and just don't seem to be able to get motivated. Ds1 keeps banging up the stairs and waking the baby from his daytime naps. So then I have tired grumpy baby who shouts at me. I managed to burn the roast I was making yesterday.

The baby is going through that phase where he just constantly tries to crawl away while I'm changing his nappy and when it's a poo it's almost impossible as he twisting around, we end up in a right mess.

Sorry you had such a crap night purple did you both manage any sleep in the end?

I always think if you feel you're losing it (and we've all been there) it's fine to just put baby in the cot and go and take a breath in another room. We've had nights where ds has woken lots even before midnight, and I've just been like "what is wrong why won't you just sleep", because all I want to do is go to sleep.

Their milestones definitely impact on sleep, I've found that when ds does something he's slept well for a bit afterwards.

Solid foods have made no difference here either, I don't believe they do. The only benefit to them getting older and eating lots during the day is that you can try to night wean if you want to. We've night weaned but he still wakes so I'm out of ideas!

Please
or

fluffikins · 18/02/2016 08:26

We have a poorly one here, she refused to go down last night which rarely happens so she was in with me from the beginning, she was sick all over me twice in the night (reaction to antibiotics I think). Just hoping she doesn't forget how to go down in her cot once she's better.

Jhl2013 at 9 weeks you're still in the fourth trimester (Google if unfamiliar) so best bet is to just roll with it. Co-sleep is the best strategy but I think the guidelines say you shouldn't if you formula feed (??)

Please
or

fluffikins · 18/02/2016 08:27

Sorry jhb2013 not Jhl!

Please
or

Pyjamaramadrama · 18/02/2016 09:40

Jhb2013 at 9 weeks there's still plenty of time for things to get better. You can't really tell what kind of sleeper she will be yet.

I was like a Zombie at 9 weeks, you d get used to less sleep and broken sleep though somehow.

I always wonder when people say their baby slept through at 6-8 weeks, do they mean all the way through? I mean I'd have said my ds1 was a great sleeper, but he didn't sleep through until 6 months when I night weaned. He'd feed and go straight back to sleep, but he didn't sleep straight through.

Do babies really sleep all night with no feeds at 8 weeks?

Please
or

Purpleboa · 18/02/2016 10:26

Thanks all!

Sounds like bad nights all round. I'll get the kettle on...

Hello jhb! Agree with the others, 9 weeks was a dark time for me. Probably wouldn't read too much of this thread as those posting on here are unlucky enough to have consistently bad sleepers. But you're in the fourth trimester so chances are things will improve. And even if they don't, you do get used to it! Most of the time now I'm still functioning pretty well, just the occasional day (like today) when I have a bad one. Just rely on all the help you can get. And if you can't sleep when baby does, at least rest and don't do what I did and try to prove you're wonder woman by attempting to keep all the plates spinning

So not the best day here. DH is off ill so he's underfoot. Think I have a touch of what he has so am finding it hard to be sympathetic! I'm a lousy wife these days. Had a bikini wax booked but have cancelled cos I can't face the pain and it's not like I'm getting any action worth suffering for

Coffee and cake with a good friend this afternoon though. Hoping your days go well!

Please
or

fluffikins · 18/02/2016 16:28

Ouch bikini wax!

I'm desperate to get my hair cut as haven't had it cut for over a year now but Dh refuses to take dd for more than an hour in case she gets hungry and my hair always takes 2 hours as its long and thick

I think if a 9 week old was sleeping through it would be a cause for concern - waking is a sids prevention thing

Please
or

zombiemeow · 18/02/2016 19:23

Jhb 9 weeks is a rough time, so many growth spurts, injections and what not. Hope it's not a long term thing for you. Plenty of Brew and Cake.

Purple is your dh anything like mine, gets a cold and convinces himself he's on the verge of death and no one has had it that bad before? Hope you had a nice afternoon with your friend.

Fluff is she likely to get hungry within a two hour slot? Could he not have her along with laid out food and clear instructions? That's what I have to do for my Hmm

We spent a lot of time wrapped up and outside today. Went to put things on dds grave then to the park. Ds insisted he walked the whole way which took AGES but hopefully it has worn him out and the fresh air will help on my knees praying it helps.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.