My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Connect with other parents whose children are starting secondary school on this forum.

Secondary education

Trinity & Whitgift 10+/11+ exams 2024 entry

369 replies

SunshineandRainbowMum · 13/09/2023 22:21

Hi everyone,

I'm starting a new thread for those with children who are sitting for the 10+ Trinity and Whitgift exams this year.

I've been lurking for years reading through the 10+ and 11+ past threads, silently sharing in the anxiety, pain and joy of those parents that have come before me 😅.

I can't believe that the time is now here for my DS to sit the 10+ exams.

Are there any other parents that would like to jump on board this thread so we can support each other through the next few months?

OP posts:
LoveBlueCheese · 14/09/2023 17:32

Hello! We are down for Trinity! Due to visit the school next week :) How has your prep been going?

SunshineandRainbowMum · 14/09/2023 19:02

Hey @LoveBlueCheese

I have booked the Trinity main Open Event on Saturday 30th September, which I'll take DS along too.
I have also booked the Lower School open morning on 6th October, which I'll go to on my own as it's a school day, but it will give me a chance to have a more focussed look at the Lower School and ask any questions.

I am not really prepping as such, DS is strong in maths, VR and NVR, which comes naturally to him. English/creative writing is my concern.
I am trying my best to keep it quite light and nothing heavy really, just a little practice on the weekend around exam technique, how to answer questions, time management etc.

How about you, are you prepping much?

OP posts:
LoveBlueCheese · 14/09/2023 21:22

We are concerned about the creative writing element too as school has not done much in Y4 around it. We prepped over summer, but not sure how prepped he is around it. It's very hard at 10plus to look at their essays and start critiquing esp when it comes to persuasive writing.

DS is an academic boy. But I think the stress is getting more to me than him! It's never easy.

expatinmys · 21/09/2023 17:12

Hi. We are in the process of registering DS for the 10+ exam. We are based in the middle east currently and I called admissions to check if we can sit for the exam in the school here. So will know next if the school can accommodate the exam.
We are preparing for the Kent test so we will just do that. Mainly using bond papers and other GL type assessment. Not sure if this is sufficient though...
The creative writing part is a worry. DS is not strong on writing. Will probably focus on creative writing more from October.
If the school here cannot accommodate the exam, will have the rethink if we want to fly down for the exam. So still a few things to consider but trinity looks like an amazing school.

SunshineandRainbowMum · 30/09/2023 15:13

LoveBlueCheese · 14/09/2023 21:22

We are concerned about the creative writing element too as school has not done much in Y4 around it. We prepped over summer, but not sure how prepped he is around it. It's very hard at 10plus to look at their essays and start critiquing esp when it comes to persuasive writing.

DS is an academic boy. But I think the stress is getting more to me than him! It's never easy.

Yes I am pretty concerned about the creative writing. I feel that DS will be fine with the other elements of the test. He just finds creative writing so challenging. Any tips on how to prep for this would be appreciated 😊

OP posts:
SunshineandRainbowMum · 01/10/2023 12:32

LoveBlueCheese · 14/09/2023 17:32

Hello! We are down for Trinity! Due to visit the school next week :) How has your prep been going?

@LoveBlueCheese How was your visit to Trinity? Did you like it? Are you also visiting Whitgift?

I took DS to the open day at Whitgift last Saturday and Trinity yesterday, he liked both but loved Trinity, he was in his happy place in the math department and spent about an hour there doing all of the puzzles and worksheets.

I love the traditional feel of Whitgift and I had a long chat with some of the boys in their learning support department which was great to hear first hand the kind of support that they receive.

Trinity has always been my favourite of the two and after taking DS to visit both, I feel that it is the better fit for him too, although I would not turn down Whitgift as an option lol.

OP posts:
LoveBlueCheese · 02/10/2023 12:03

We liked it, particularly headmaster's ethos for the school. I went for an earlier tour before the whole school open day and I liked their very personalised, earnest approach. It isn't the easiest for us to get to and recent news of the poor girl who was stabbed made me wonder about the area.

We aren't doing the exam for Whitgift purely because we know Trinity has the better music department (DS is a chorister). Our other exam is City which DS prefers.

Moresleepandwine · 04/10/2023 06:06

We are also in the process of registering for the 10+ at Trinity, Whitgift and City of London. DS hasn't seen Trinity because we visited on a school day but he loved Whitgift. We loved Trinity and so decided to try for the 10+ instead of waiting for the 11+ like we originally planned.

We are scrambling to do some Atom practice in the next few weeks before the test! Hopefully it will work.

Does anyone know if children who enter at 10+ are eligible for the 11+ scholarships? I read in previous years that there are more scholarships on offer at 11+ and I am wondering if we are giving up on a potential scholarship by going in for the 10+.

SunshineandRainbowMum · 04/10/2023 07:39

Hi @Moresleepandwine

I have just completed the 10+ application form for both Trinity and Whitgift.

All children who sit the school entrance exam are considered for an academic scholarship, you do not need to apply for this separately.

In addition to that the non academic 10+ scholarships on offer are:

Trinity - Sport, Drama Art, Music, DT (you can apply for a maximum of 2 non academic scholarships)

Whitgift - Sport, Drama, Art, Music (you can apply for a maximum of 3 non academic scholarships)

OP posts:
Moresleepandwine · 04/10/2023 08:30

Hi @SunshineandRainbowMum , thank you! If DS doesn't get a scholarship at 10+, will he get a second chance at 11+? Or does he then miss out on one?

LoveBlueCheese · 04/10/2023 09:29

@Moresleepandwine you'd probably have to ask admissions on whether internal candidates can be considered for 11+ scholarships. Trinity mentioned about 50pc of the boys are on some form of scholarship or bursary, so I don't think they are less generous at 10+ altho best to email.

I'm not amused City had changed exam format and this year's batch are essentially the guinea pigs but looks like we just have to roll with it.

Moresleepandwine · 04/10/2023 10:36

Thanks @LoveBlueCheese !

I didn't know City have changed their exam format. What's the new format for this year? As I said, our focus until yesterday was solely on the 11+. I am just starting our research now!

SunshineandRainbowMum · 20/10/2023 08:45

Hi everyone,
Just wondering how the exam preps are going? I have decided to start DS on some practice papers throughout the half term, just so I can see where the gaps are to focus his study over the coming weeks. I have downloaded a few past papers from some school websites and I'll get him to do some under exam conditions. I don't plan on going too heavy with the prep work just more of a focus on exam technique.

OP posts:
LoveBlueCheese · 20/10/2023 08:50

Hello! I'm chasing DS to finish the personal questionnaire 😅 music teacher is in the middle of the music scholarship application and then we are done with all the admin. Same here with the prep over half term - practice papers and exam technique.

SunshineandRainbowMum · 20/10/2023 12:03

We are all done with the admin side now, DS has just completed his candidate questionnaire this morning, which was the final thing outstanding. I had to leave the room when he was writing it because I was getting tempted to comment and offer some guidance, but I wanted it to come completely from him. Although I'm not entirely sure if that was a good or bad decision lol.

OP posts:
Moresleepandwine · 23/10/2023 13:19

We are done with the forms as well. I planned to apply for a music scholarship because there's nothing to lose, but DS's piano teacher laughed when I asked. 🙄So I guess, we are not doing that!

We are focusing completely on Atom practice + mock tests and creative writing for the moment. Will start paper practice tests next week.

LoveBlueCheese · 23/10/2023 16:39

@Moresleepandwine actually Trinity might not be as competitive with music scholarships as some others. Their grade levels seem lower than some I've seen. However DS would never get it on flute alone as he's only G3. We're applying on strength of his chorister background for Voice.

Moresleepandwine · 23/10/2023 17:26

@LoveBlueCheese , DS is only grade 4 but the admissions lady said Grade 3 was the minimum standard expected and encouraged me to apply. I know there's nothing to lose by doing so but I don't want to be that mum with completely unrealistic expectations!!

LoveBlueCheese · 23/10/2023 18:15

@Moresleepandwine I think just apply anyway. So that Trinity knows it's not just about the scores but will see ur DS in a more rounded way regardless of scholarship application.

I dislike atom very much but adaptive exams seem here to stay

Moresleepandwine · 24/10/2023 04:16

@LoveBlueCheese , I am not sure if we can apply without the testimonials from his music teachers. Let's see.
Trinity and City use the Atom tests so it's been great for DS who has done no exam prep until now.

SunshineandRainbowMum · 24/10/2023 07:26

Moresleepandwine · 23/10/2023 17:26

@LoveBlueCheese , DS is only grade 4 but the admissions lady said Grade 3 was the minimum standard expected and encouraged me to apply. I know there's nothing to lose by doing so but I don't want to be that mum with completely unrealistic expectations!!

Well that was quite rude and unhelpful of the piano teacher to laugh. I agree with lovebluecheese, and think you should apply anyway and ask the piano teacher for a reference. It's not really about whether she thinks DS is good enough it's more about what Trinity thinks and if they have said Grade 3 or above and have encouraged you to apply then I would definitely give it a shot, you've got nothing to lose.

OP posts:
SunshineandRainbowMum · 24/10/2023 07:27

Regarding Atom learning can I ask if you purchased a package and if so which one?

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RockaLock · 24/10/2023 07:43

Moresleepandwine · 04/10/2023 08:30

Hi @SunshineandRainbowMum , thank you! If DS doesn't get a scholarship at 10+, will he get a second chance at 11+? Or does he then miss out on one?

If you accept a 10+ place without a scholarship, then I've never heard of anyone being given an 11+ scholarship the next year. They are given out on the basis of the entrance exams, which your DS wouldn't be sitting! He might do very well in his end of junior year exams, but by then the scholarship pot will already have been given out to boys who sat the 11+ earlier in the year.

If you can't manage the fees comfortably without one, then your only option would be to decline the full fees place and try again at 11+, I think. This isn't without risk, though - a friend of DS1 got 5% at 10+, but declined the place and then only made the waitlist when he reapplied at 11+...

We did get a (very) small scholarship when DS1 went up into the sixth form last year, though, as he aced his GCSEs.

Moresleepandwine · 24/10/2023 09:26

@SunshineandRainbowMum , that makes sense, thank you. I need to be more pushy with the piano teacher, I think!

We bought the most expensive Atom subscription, Exam Prep Plus I think it's called. It really suits us because it allows for unlimited mock tests and DS needs a lot of practice since we have only 5 weeks to go.

@RockaLock , eek! Thanks for sharing that feedback. We will not turn down a place if DS doesn't get a scholarship. But they have one of the most generous scholarship schemes in London so I am just being greedy. 😀

expatinmys · 26/10/2023 16:20

We are done with the forms. We are mostly using Examberry for the preparation as it suggested by a tutor.
Biggest worry is the writing. Does atom have good resource for writing and sample answers?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.