Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Rishi Sunak is working on tough new anti-strike laws

258 replies

Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 12:21

We don't have a government in this country any more.

We have a dictatorship.

OP posts:
blackalert · 08/12/2022 14:54

Soothsayer1 · 08/12/2022 14:11

Either a company will reduce their workforce to pay for the increase
do you think the NHS will reduce their workforce? They already can't get enough people to work for them because the pay & conditions are so bad, there are lots of jobs going unfilled because of pay and conditions so bad it's not worth doing them

Our NHS trust has. The payrise that was given last year had to come out of existing budgets - it's didn't come as extra from the government so vacant posts were cut completely to fund it.

blackalert · 08/12/2022 14:55

RottingAutumnApples · 08/12/2022 14:42

I dunno. There are so many people who would absolutely love to have the pay, pensions and excellent terms of conditions of those who are striking.

I don't disagree. But why aren't people entering these professions in their droves then? There's tons of vacancy's.

antelopevalley · 08/12/2022 15:05

Because no one wants to work these jobs.

EmmaAgain22 · 08/12/2022 15:07

I dunno. There are so many people who would absolutely love to have the pay, pensions and excellent terms of conditions of those who are striking.

I don't think there are. How do you explain the staff shortages in so many areas? Who are the people you're thinking of? We had the Great Resignation, predictable, and as antelope says, people who can live on savings are doing that.

I presume the hope of govts everywhere is that the cost of living will drive all these people back to work.

what are Labour up to atm? We really need them to step up.

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2022 15:08

I don't disagree. But why aren't people entering these professions in their droves then? There's tons of vacancy's.

There’s vacancies in many sectors post pandemic it’s why unemployment is so low. Same in other countries with shortages

CourtneeLuv · 08/12/2022 15:15

1000yellowdaisies · 08/12/2022 12:24

The strike has to affect people though. Other times of the year it might not be so impactful.

No it doesn't.

They could do payment strikes.

I heard of somewhere (can't remember where now) that just doesn't take payment on their public transport instead of disrupting service.

Win win, it hits the fat cats where it really hurts while not inconveniencing the public.

They had a lot more support from the public.

AdamRyan · 08/12/2022 15:18

No it doesn't.

I heard of somewhere (can't remember where now) that just doesn't take payment on their public transport instead of disrupting service.

Win win, it hits the fat cats where it really hurts while not inconveniencing the public.

I think if you did that kind of strike, you'd be breaking the terms of your employment contract and could be sacked. Whereas its legal to strike by withdrawing your labour under certain conditions so you can't be sacked.

blackalert · 08/12/2022 15:26

antelopevalley · 08/12/2022 15:05

Because no one wants to work these jobs.

So you need to make the jobs super attractive with even more perks if you want a functioning public service for all.

Hence the strikes.

TooBigForMyBoots · 08/12/2022 15:30

The conditions are stressful and dangerous with unsociable hours. And if the pay was so great our hospitals wouldn't have posters telling staff how to access Foodbank vouchers.

The Tories have spent 12 years treating nursing staff like shit. It's no wonder staffing is at crisis level. Removing the Right to Strike will not fix this.

Leemoe · 08/12/2022 16:07

Mainly because to qualify as a nurse you need A levels in the region of BCC to ABB depending on the particular university, then you accrue student debt whilst completing a degree and working approx thirty hours per week as a student nurse. You do not have the holidays and study leave of other undergraduates.

You then start on approx 25k and will be on about 32k after five years.

That is without factoring in the dangerous working environment.
Nursing degrees have some of the highest attrition in the country because kids with a good set of A levels see the writing on the wall pretty quickly and change course to something easier and more lucrative.

If I had my time again I wouldn't do a nursing degree, nor would I let a child of mine within sniffing distance of one and I left the NHS to work in pharma years ago.

MissyB1 · 08/12/2022 16:32

Only people who have never worked in the NHS say that.

Miajk · 08/12/2022 17:30

qpmz · 08/12/2022 14:30

The train strikes are a joke. Far too many of them disrupting many thousands of people.

Their demands are ridiculous. Guaranteed no redundancies etc. companies have to move with the times to be successful. They can't keep staffing ticket offices when technology is more efficient!

What a stupid comment.

Were paying stupid prices for tickets, meanwhile the number of workers is reducing and their wages are stagnant.

It's all going into shareholders pockets. In my country it would cost me £5 to get a train cross country, for the longest possible journey.

It should have never been privatised in the first place.

It's sad that people like you think workers demand too much but you're happy to pay way too much for train tickets just so a few big bosses can roll in it. Wake up.

Miajk · 08/12/2022 17:33

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 08/12/2022 13:33

Im fed up of the strikes. People applied and got jobs knowing their salary.

It's like every single sector is now deciding to strike and guess what happens? We pay the price of that.
With the cost of living how can we cover the costs of companies increasing the costs of goods and services (which they will do to cover the increased salaries).
If all public sector workers got a pay increase in line with inflation it would cost every single UK household £1000 a year. This was on the news last night.

I don't think people fully think through the consequences of higher salaries. Either a company will reduce their workforce to pay for the increase, or they will increase the cost to you.

Or... They could just stop prioritizing shareholder profit. Why isn't this the first sensible option?

I don't want to pay £60 to go to London, while the service is understaffed and people are underpaid, just for some white middle aged twat boss to benefit.

Why are we so happy in this country to give lots of wealth to a small number of people and complain that working people are asking for too much when they're not?

EmmaAgain22 · 08/12/2022 17:36

Miakj "Or... They could just stop prioritizing shareholder profit. Why isn't this the first sensible option?"

the usual reasoning is that shares support pensions. It all shows up a lot of issues with financing.

I miss the mixed economy days - some private, some not.

Soothsayer1 · 08/12/2022 17:38

Nursing degrees have some of the highest attrition in the country because kids with a good set of A levels see the writing on the wall pretty quickly and change course to something easier and more lucrative
exactly, the gvt thinks people will get themselves into significant debt for the 'opportunity' to be driven into the ground by the failing NHS, what's the point in working at all for young people, many will never be able to afford a decent home to live in, never mind have a family, might as well just 'lie flat'

EmmaAgain22 · 08/12/2022 17:38

No it doesn't.

They tried this at one Tube station. You get a surge of travellers on a jolly and overcrowding issues.

it's a shame we can't rig the system so one day, everyone gets a refund after they've travelled.

Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 19:35

Quveas · 08/12/2022 12:58

And nobody voted for Rishi Sunak... or these policies. Call an election on the policies and see what the public think!

Thank you Quveas - I was about to say something similar but more sweary! You have stopped me from showing myself up.

This vile, corrupt cabal is at the beck and call of big business. None of them has ever had a job - they've gone from private schools to university to internships to politics or jobs in mummy's/daddy's business and then to politics. It's just a gravy train for them and hey intend to ride it for as long as possible.

The people who heated their stables with public money will allow old people to freeze to death and children to go hungry.

We need a general election now! (Actually, we probably need a revolution - the whole system needs to be updated. There's no way that Johnson should have been able to just ignore the "gentlemen's agreements" that seem to for a lot of parliamentary "law".)

OP posts:
Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 19:41

Just because there are vacancies, and there are people wanting jobs, it doesn't mean that there is a fit between the two.

And at present the govt is interfering in the negotiations - they are propping up the rail companies which are not losing money in the strikes. It's the same as it was with Thatcher and the pits. The govt is determined to break the unions. It's personal for them.

They don't give a damn about the people who use the services, or who work in them -they are purely concerned with letting the workers know who's boss, and keeping their mates in millions.

OP posts:
Reugny · 08/12/2022 19:43

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2022 15:08

There’s vacancies in many sectors post pandemic it’s why unemployment is so low. Same in other countries with shortages

There is a demographic problem in lots of developed countries. Lots of skilled jobs but not enough workers with the correct skills to fill them.

Lurkerlot · 08/12/2022 19:44

KnittedCardi · 08/12/2022 12:51

I think there needs to some measures in place to stop the wholesale holding of the country to ransom. You talk about democracy.

Only 25% of workers belong to a union, and maybe only 50%, let's be generous, 60% of those voted to strike. So say a generous 15% of workers are holding the majority 85% to ransom, and that's only workers, not to mention everyone else in the country, children, teens, the elderly, those that are not working due to illness or disability. Less way less than 15% of the population, 5% (?) making everyone else lives a misery. Very democratic.

There May only be 25% of workers in a union, but when they win, they also win for non union members, and other industries.

2 day weekends
8 hour working days
paid maternity leave
paid holidays
retirement age
occupational health
Work place pensions
Equality laws
The right not to be sacked because you got married or had a baby or became ill
minimum wage.

can’t think of anymore

Happygirl79 · 08/12/2022 19:44

Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 12:21

We don't have a government in this country any more.

We have a dictatorship.

You're spot on there. Make a law to make sure the workers have to continue regardless to make the rich even richer. We're going back to medieval times where there were Lords and surfs. This is the Conservative government for you

workiskillingme · 08/12/2022 19:44

PortiasBiscuit · 08/12/2022 12:22

I do think striking around Christmas is just mean though!

Mean? Oh Christ yeah because people wanting to be able to afford to live let alone have a nice Christmas are so unreasonable 🙄

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 19:45

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 08/12/2022 13:33

Im fed up of the strikes. People applied and got jobs knowing their salary.

It's like every single sector is now deciding to strike and guess what happens? We pay the price of that.
With the cost of living how can we cover the costs of companies increasing the costs of goods and services (which they will do to cover the increased salaries).
If all public sector workers got a pay increase in line with inflation it would cost every single UK household £1000 a year. This was on the news last night.

I don't think people fully think through the consequences of higher salaries. Either a company will reduce their workforce to pay for the increase, or they will increase the cost to you.

Their salary when they started the job was worth considerably more than it is now. Effectively most people have lower salaries (less spending power) than they did even 5 years ago let alone 10, 15, 20 years go.

And should this not apply to MPs as well - didn't they vote themselves a well-above-inflation pay-rise?

As well as their perks, expenses, consultancies, directorships etc etc etc

OP posts:
Alexandra2001 · 08/12/2022 19:54

At this rate, all the unions currently striking on the occasional day will just walk out indefinitely.... people wont take these changes lying down.

Sunak uses a private GP, schooling, his own leisure facilities at home and would only use a train for a photo shoot and £720m in the bank.

He is just another politician who is out of touch.

Pythonese · 08/12/2022 19:56

Good for him.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.