Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Rishi Sunak is working on tough new anti-strike laws

258 replies

Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 12:21

We don't have a government in this country any more.

We have a dictatorship.

OP posts:
Soothsayer1 · 08/12/2022 13:23

DuchessDandelion · 08/12/2022 13:15

I hate to bring Brexit into it but this was one of the political motivations.

Well yes, after we voted for it they all got busy spinning to see what they could do to turn it to their advantage and make a profit out of it, they try to find out what the people want and then they serve the people something that looks like what they want but is actually designed to make them richer
The rules are designed to entrench and further the power of those who lord it over us

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2022 13:29

It looks fairly split on YouGov although the question doesn’t exactly match re bringing in laws.

Op do you think Labour would meet all pay demands - How would they fund it?

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy · 08/12/2022 13:33

Im fed up of the strikes. People applied and got jobs knowing their salary.

It's like every single sector is now deciding to strike and guess what happens? We pay the price of that.
With the cost of living how can we cover the costs of companies increasing the costs of goods and services (which they will do to cover the increased salaries).
If all public sector workers got a pay increase in line with inflation it would cost every single UK household £1000 a year. This was on the news last night.

I don't think people fully think through the consequences of higher salaries. Either a company will reduce their workforce to pay for the increase, or they will increase the cost to you.

1000yellowdaisies · 08/12/2022 14:00

It's like every single sector is now deciding to strike and guess what happens? We pay the price of that.
With the cost of living how can we cover the costs of companies increasing the costs of goods and services (which they will do to cover the increased salaries).
If all public sector workers got a pay increase in line with inflation it would cost every single UK household £1000 a year. This was on the news last night.

I don't think people fully think through the consequences of higher salaries. Either a company will reduce their workforce to pay for the increase, or they will increase the cost to you.

So a nurse who started in the NHS years ago could know that years down the line she'd be getting a below inflation pay rise year after year (effectively a pay cut) and she just accepts it? Your argument is nonsense.

Grimchmas · 08/12/2022 14:01

Hungrycaterpillarsmummy

I don't think you've been paying attention to what's been happening to the lowest paid workers pay for years, and where this last few years of inflation has come from.

When the highest in the chains of command take below the rate of inflation pay rises for the same number of years, maybe then it will be tolerated better.

Our politicians consistently give themselves many times the rate of inflation pay increases year on year. The house of Lords votes to not even switch to a cheaper brand of champagne for their jollies ffs, while postal workers, NHS and all the rest of us struggle to survive on salaries that were once considered decent enough to live on. It's not even just the lowest paid workers any more, it's the middle, too.

Miajk · 08/12/2022 14:06

PortiasBiscuit · 08/12/2022 12:22

I do think striking around Christmas is just mean though!

I think what's more mean is useless greedy bosses and shareholders that could have prevented and solved the problem immediately but didn't.

Instead they stay greedy and pit working people against each other.

MooseAndSquirrelLoveFlannel · 08/12/2022 14:11

I would love for everyone to be paid exactly what they're asking for, but the purse just doesn't have the money because it was pissed up the wall during covid

I saw on the news we would need to find an extra £26 billion. I cant pay anymore tax to fund this!

Police havent had a decent payrise in decades and arent allowed to strike. I got my first payrise in 3 years and it worked out to an extra 48p a month and we cant strike either.

Not to mention the very real risk of increased wages means more spending, which means more demand, which means higher inflation, which means more demands for increased wages etc etc.

It's disgusting that we can no longer live a decent life on our incomes, but I'm not sure endless strikes are any good really. We need to be grateful for any offers of increased pay if we can get it.

Soothsayer1 · 08/12/2022 14:11

Either a company will reduce their workforce to pay for the increase
do you think the NHS will reduce their workforce? They already can't get enough people to work for them because the pay & conditions are so bad, there are lots of jobs going unfilled because of pay and conditions so bad it's not worth doing them

midgetastic · 08/12/2022 14:14

Money is available when they want it
This is country spending not household budgeting

There is some taxation that isn't income tax that could also be raised - I'm thinking inheritance for example as well as energy sector windfalls

TooBigForMyBoots · 08/12/2022 14:21

The Tories destroyed the economy and they think destroying Workers' Rights will fix that? The Tories are a fucking disgrace who have wrecked the UK.Angry

AdamRyan · 08/12/2022 14:23

What are you even talking about?
Before 2010 public sector pay used to rise in line with inflation roughly (exH public sector). Then it was "frozen" due to austerity- no pay rises for 2 years, then max 1 % until 2018
So 4 years of some limited pay rises and now its back to "we can't afford it"
Meanwhile private sector are offering better pay and perks due to resourcing challenges. So low paid public sector staff are leaving to do less pressured/better paid private sector jobs.

If you got a job in 2008 and since then your pay had not kept up with inflation, so you had effectively taken a pay cut, would you be happy?

Also, many of those voting to strike are doing it because of the stress of the jobs/working conditions not pay. NHS staff are on their knees from the pandemic and there is no plan to make their jobs easier. They are watching heath trusts pay thousands per day for agency workers to cover staffshortages and then getting told there's no money for a pay rise.

I think our public services will just collapse more quickly if the government ban strikes as even more people will feel their only option is to leave. Its disgraceful in a supposedly affluent country.

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2022 14:24

midgetastic · 08/12/2022 14:14

Money is available when they want it
This is country spending not household budgeting

There is some taxation that isn't income tax that could also be raised - I'm thinking inheritance for example as well as energy sector windfalls

Borrowing is difficult due to market reaction. We already have WFT

But for inheritance tax what level are you thinking?

TooBigForMyBoots · 08/12/2022 14:28

Borrowing is difficult because of Conservative Party arrogance and incompetence.

qpmz · 08/12/2022 14:30

The train strikes are a joke. Far too many of them disrupting many thousands of people.

Their demands are ridiculous. Guaranteed no redundancies etc. companies have to move with the times to be successful. They can't keep staffing ticket offices when technology is more efficient!

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2022 14:31

Labour still wouldn’t be able to do it. That’s why all their policies suggestions are so minimal they can only find a bit here and there.

We already have WFT so that is no longer the saviour it was once thought to be.

Labour wouldn’t be able to pay up for all these demands either. They are pro union though so it wouldn’t be easy politically.

LolaSmiles · 08/12/2022 14:31

We're stuck in the UK (unless you are wealthy enough to get your visa out of here)
We're having our right to protest removed
We're having our right to strike removed
We're denying refugees safe routes
We're struggling to get the basic needs of the population met
Human rights are being torn up

This is all Political choice

This x100.

The sad thing is that there are some people so clueless that they will happily see other workers be trampled on in a nasty rush to the bottom.

MamaFirst · 08/12/2022 14:31

PortiasBiscuit · 08/12/2022 12:22

I do think striking around Christmas is just mean though!

Strikes are supposed to be disruptive!

Reugny · 08/12/2022 14:33

louisana1102 · 08/12/2022 12:36

Is Royal Mail in strike today?

No I just got a pile of mail - mostly bills.

Reugny · 08/12/2022 14:34

Chippy1234 · 08/12/2022 13:17

Labour are in the pockets of the unions. What will they do?

Some unions like the RMT aren't affiliated to Labour.

GetThatHelmetOn · 08/12/2022 14:36

How long would it take for the country to notice we have a dictatorship? If people do not have the right to strike, how on Earth are they going to be heard? This is just as bad as silencing the dissent.

People would not need to strike if we had not had a shit government interested only on they own gain and fools that keep them in power.

antelopevalley · 08/12/2022 14:38

If he does this more people will quit work. Without wage rises plenty of people are better off on benefits or with only one partner working. I will look into it myself.

RottingAutumnApples · 08/12/2022 14:42

I dunno. There are so many people who would absolutely love to have the pay, pensions and excellent terms of conditions of those who are striking.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2022 14:43

RottingAutumnApples · 08/12/2022 14:42

I dunno. There are so many people who would absolutely love to have the pay, pensions and excellent terms of conditions of those who are striking.

Former public sector are probably realising this. People can quit of course up to them but I doubt benefits is that great an option.

antelopevalley · 08/12/2022 14:49

I know a few people who have quit and living on savings until their state pension. This will only increase.

KnittedCardi · 08/12/2022 14:52

www.bbc.co.uk/news/55089900

Public sector v. Private Sector - Pay Gap

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.