Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Politics

Rishi Sunak is working on tough new anti-strike laws

258 replies

Emotionalsupportviper · 08/12/2022 12:21

We don't have a government in this country any more.

We have a dictatorship.

OP posts:
RosesAndHellebores · 10/12/2022 16:36

I agree @Notonthestairs but school is 8.45 to 3.45. Even 5.5 hours a day is 27.5 a week. Notwithstanding that some shifts could be worked around partners where necessary.

Notonthestairs · 10/12/2022 16:37

FT Exclusive: UK ministers blocked a possible deal to call off this month’s rail strikes by preventing the industry from offering unions higher pay deals and adding tough new conditions at the last minute on.ft.com/3BlQgc0

twitter.com/financialtimes/status/1601192466622857216?s=46&t=Mfdv68YuyB04Ctlnht21tw

Soothsayer1 · 10/12/2022 16:41

There has been a huge failure in workforce planning over the last decade
even though the population is getting older and sicker...I suppose the 2 are related, we are all to old and sick to look after the old and sick, no-ones up to doing that kind of grueling work any more, we all need it, none of us want to provide it, and even if we did the gvt wont pay enough to make it worth our while!

Soothsayer1 · 10/12/2022 16:43

is this what our 'managed decline' looks like?
Britannia unchained? sinks beneath the waves more like

Emotionalsupportviper · 10/12/2022 16:43

Notonthestairs · 10/12/2022 16:37

FT Exclusive: UK ministers blocked a possible deal to call off this month’s rail strikes by preventing the industry from offering unions higher pay deals and adding tough new conditions at the last minute on.ft.com/3BlQgc0

twitter.com/financialtimes/status/1601192466622857216?s=46&t=Mfdv68YuyB04Ctlnht21tw

And this is the govt which has been insisting that it isn't interfering/ influencing the talks.

LIARS!

Every last one of them

OP posts:
Alexandra2001 · 10/12/2022 17:39

Emotionalsupportviper · 10/12/2022 16:43

And this is the govt which has been insisting that it isn't interfering/ influencing the talks.

LIARS!

Every last one of them

Govt want strikes, they see it as a way to drive a wedge between the public, Labour and the workforces involved.... and they 'll do it again with the health service... pleading to end the strikes/patient suffering... whilst behind the scenes making sure it continues.
“The more I think about it … I’m a woman negotiating for a 90% female profession that is trying to operate with a government that’s particularly macho and tends to operate with a bullyboy tactic. Perhaps that’s the reason why we can’t get moving forward. By refusing to negotiate Steve Barclay is ignoring nurses and ignoring me

I think there’s an issue here with us being female. I ask myself, would that [refusal to negotiate] be different if it was a 90% male profession and I was a male? I truly believe it would be. I think we’d be treated differently,” said Cullen, whose union represents 500,000 nurses across the UK.

In a direct attack on Rishi Sunak and his government, she added: “And that links back to the value of caring and it being female work. Nurses showed the importance of care during the pandemic, the importance of being with a patient at their real hour of need, the importance of being there to hold their hand and see them leave this world and say: ‘It’s OK, we’ll be here.’ That’s all perceived by those people, by those men, as female jobs, female work, and that they can treat us like that.”

More than a grain of truth in her statement.

Miajk · 10/12/2022 18:40

RosesAndHellebores · 10/12/2022 12:16

The proportions required to carry a strike vote are deeply flawed. They are based on the percentage of the membership voting which takes into account the no votes. If the no voters abstained the motion would not be carried. I don't think the unions share that with their members so I question who meets the definition of a dictatorship to be fair.

Every NHS employee I meet tells me the NHS is marvellous. And yet they are striking due to their pay but dressing it up as being about patient care. Surely it can't be both. I'd have more time if there were more honesty.

Train drivers on £60k, Lecturers on £50k with generous hols, fantastic pensions and sick pay.

Reaches for mop for bleeding heart.

Train drivers pay is not a part of the current railway strike.

It's pay for other (very low paid) staff. Seems like you should learn a bit more about what's happening rather than making silly comments.

Alexandra2001 · 10/12/2022 18:53

Its also a load of shit this 16hr thing.. most carers are on ZHC with agencies... are older.. & have partners that work, so don't even qualify... + many EU carers left the workforce... but the main reason is its a min wage job.. done by women.. thats the issue that no one in Govt wants to address.

Hence Johnsons "we fixed SC" never considered pay...or why Steve Barclay will not talk pay with the RCN... they'd rather look at why we don't have enough bankers in the UK & continue the strikes.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.