Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Graduates returning to the nest, a new start for all!

459 replies

VanCleefArpels · 01/07/2022 23:08

Carrying on from the 2019/20 Uni students thread let’s talk about what it’s like to have our fresh graduates home, for some of us invading our nice empty nest, for all of us creating a new household dynamic…….

OP posts:
Please
or

bigTillyMint · 12/07/2022 17:02

Well feedback usually infers you haven’t got it, but I’m really surprised if they were making that decision at the end of her interview - must interview them all first surely. I think maybe it’s a slip of the tongue?

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/07/2022 17:09

Yes I agree but wondering if she’s last to be interviewed . Well we’ll know soon enough. She didn’t ask when she can expect to hear. I always ask that to stop myself going crazy. She’s all fed up now at why she can’t get a job as ‘everyone’ has walked into grad scheme and internships! I can’t seem to say the right thing…. Again!

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/07/2022 17:10

She thinks it was a Freudian slip.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 12/07/2022 17:12

@Benjispruce4 DS hasn’t, and she knows him!

crossing everything for her!

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/07/2022 17:16

Thanks @bigTillyMint . I know and from my friends and colleagues hardly any of them have walked into those type of jobs . 3 of her 4 housemates have and that’s who she’s comparing herself to. I think it’s the effort involved in preparing for these jobs that’s off the scale these days. I know you said your DS applied for lots. How is he feeling?

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 12/07/2022 17:18

I think he’s OK - just making the most of not studying atm. I think he’s going to reapply for internships (and work locally I think)

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/07/2022 17:32

That’s good. Sounds like a realistic plan. think she was really excited by this job and the first interviewer was very positive.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 12/07/2022 17:56

Yes DS found it hard when the interview goes well but just pipped at the post. But the right job will come along for them,

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 12/07/2022 22:58

I’m a great believer in fate as in the right job will turn up eventually. I also believe that any job these kids get at this point might not be THE job but it’s always easier to get a job from a job (does that make sense?!) and so even if it’s not ideal or they are not sure they want to be in a particular field it’s prob worth taking the job and seeing how things pan out. I know back in the dark ages hopping from job to job was frowned upon but it’s really not like that now - my older one is in the 3rd role since he graduated in 2019!

OP posts:
Please
or

LouisCatorze · 13/07/2022 07:13

@VanCleefArpels those are wise words. I recall DD doing a project in Yr 7 which indicated that portfolio working would very much be a feature of their generation's experience, and having jobs across more of a range of fields over the course of their lifetime.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/07/2022 16:44

Well guess what?

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 13/07/2022 17:42

She got it?

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/07/2022 17:56

Yes! Got a phone call at lunchtime. I’d written it off as she was quite sure. Silly girl!
She gets the contract tomorrow so will have a good look and if all ok she’s trying to move to London asap! It’s all happened so quickly.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 13/07/2022 18:33

Oh wow! That’s fantastic @Benjispruce4! Where in London is she looking to move to?

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/07/2022 18:39

3 of her housemates are looking to share wef September as they have jobs in London too . Not sure where yet but she’s always wanted to live and work in London. My family are from Bloomsbury, Camden and Kentish Town so she’s very familiar with it. The reality will hit when she sees prices. One housemate is there now sharing, not sure where.Don’t want to shatter her dreams though .It’s hybrid so 50% wfh and could commute for now as we are an hour away by train.

Please
or

icanbewhatiwant · 13/07/2022 18:46

That's great @Benjispruce4

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 13/07/2022 18:47

Rents round here in zone 2 are around £800, sometimes including bills.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/07/2022 20:09

Yeah she’s prepared for around £700 as that’s what her friend is paying. Crazy money but I think she needs to experience it.

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 13/07/2022 20:40

@Benjispruce4 congratulations to your DD!

Please
or

MargaretThursday · 13/07/2022 21:29

@Benjispruce4

Well done to your dd!

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 13/07/2022 22:20

Yes £700-£800 typical for a room in a shared house or a rabbit hutch sized studio. If WFH please encourage then to explore the broadband capabilities and think where in the house/ room they will work. A lot of my older ones friends really found working out of shared houses during lockdown truly miserable

OP posts:
Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 13/07/2022 22:20

And of course congratulations- she must be so excited!

OP posts:
Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 14/07/2022 06:26

Thanks @VanCleefArpels and yes we have had that conversation.

Please
or

Alltheseasonsaregreat · 24/07/2022 09:39

Our grad dd is back too.
Is anyone finding the adjustment really hard.??
She has decided( just for now) to put all her energies into job seeking for a grad job rather than a fill in job . She has savings and says she is willing to use those for now.
This means that she is around 24 /7 and its driving me mad.
She has no friends here as we moved recently.
So as well as being around 24 /7 she naturally seeks company. We do something nice with her every second day ish . And that is nice but the rest of the time it feels a big adjustment.
Her partner also comes at times for half the week as he remote works.
We said we wd like to support her by not charging rent for the first month.
She has applied for 4 jobs and not got them.
Its quite hard as you cant tell another adult what to do. But we have said its easier to get a job when you have one already
She disagrees that working for eg in a local shop would be to her benefit on her cv?.( she is not work shy . She has worked all way thro 6 th form and uni).
Any thoughts. ?

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 24/07/2022 09:52

@Alltheseasonsaregreat I’d give her a few weeks. She only needs one job. DD came home and was in a similar situation re friends as her main two from 6th form have stayed on in their uni towns either to work or are still studying. Luckily she had a wfh job 2 days a week to continue but then out of the blue got a job a couple of weeks ago. She starts on August and has plans to move to London to share with uni mates who also have jobs there. So, we were thinking she was here for a while and then all change. I know these grad job applications are quite time consuming. Is she on LinkedIn? That’s how DD got her job, as a company approached her.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?