Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Graduates returning to the nest, a new start for all!

459 replies

VanCleefArpels · 01/07/2022 23:08

Carrying on from the 2019/20 Uni students thread let’s talk about what it’s like to have our fresh graduates home, for some of us invading our nice empty nest, for all of us creating a new household dynamic…….

OP posts:
Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 05/07/2022 17:15

@BigSandyBalls2015 That’s exactly what DD wanted to do but her housemate all have grad jobs or internships that require them to move.
Hi @MissConductUS. DD is meeting up with uni friends for a weekend away on Friday so I think that helped with saying goodbye.
@simbobs hope your DD is ok.

Please
or

simbobs · 05/07/2022 17:24

Thanks @Benjispruce4 , unfortunately she has a particularly bad case of ME/CFS and has had to defer for a second time, only 3 modules from the end of the course. She is my older DC, not the one that brought me to our original thread. She is going through a particularly bad phase at the moment, but I hope for better days.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 05/07/2022 17:28

Oh what a shame @simbobs. Better that she gets well obviously and in the long run, an extra year is nothing, but, a big disappointment for her. Sending well wishes f 💐

Please
or

RampantIvy · 05/07/2022 17:48

DD said she needs a year of no studying and working without much deep thought, interspersed with fun and hopefully a bit of travel. Then she’ll either do a masters or look for a graduate job

That is exactly DD’s plan. She needs a break for her mental and physical well-being. She is looking for part time work because she just isn’t well enough to work full time.

You are very welcome @MissConductUS. It’s good to know how things fare on the other side of the pond.
I’m sorry that your DD isn’t doing so well @simbobs Flowers. I have thought of you often. So many people just don’t understand how debilitating CFS can be. My BIL had to give up work because he suffers from it as well.

Please
or

simbobs · 05/07/2022 18:55

@RampantIvy i know that you understand the challenges. My DD is worse affected than yours and may never manage to finish her degree due to the brain fog, but if sh could just get well enough to live independently and have some quality of life I would be so relieved. She really wants to go back to Newcastle. Taking a year out and focusing on self care could be just the thing for your DD, and good luck to her.

Please
or

DrMadelineMaxwell · 05/07/2022 21:01

When do your graduates get their results? Dds graduation ceremony is 2 weeks tomorrow and she hasnt told us when she is getting her results! She's gone all secret service on us and I'm wondering if it is just because she doesn't want e pestering her to find out until she has processed her results for herself first!

Please
or

icanbewhatiwant · 05/07/2022 21:11

@DrMadelineMaxwell ds's graduation is 2 weeks tomorrow too (UEA) he hasn't had his final grades yet, he has all the results of the exams, dissertation etc. just not the actual grade. He's currently in the USA on holiday. His mate with him had his grades a week ago.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 05/07/2022 21:25

@DrMadelineMaxwell Durham’s results and graduations have been and gone.

Please
or

DrMadelineMaxwell · 05/07/2022 21:40

Dd is in York..she has some results but waiting for some to be verified by the exam boards and for the overall results to be finalised..

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 05/07/2022 21:41

We had results last week, graduation next week

OP posts:
Please
or

RampantIvy · 05/07/2022 22:00

Newcastle biomed department hung on to all the marks and released the final results on Friday 1st July. No-one got them piecemeal like so many others on here seem to have had.

Graduations are from next week, and DH and I are hibernating so that we don't get covid. My boss has even let me off going into the office this week to reduce the risk. It is raging round here right now.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 05/07/2022 22:46

@DrMadelineMaxwell How has your DD found York? DD2 has applied.

Please
or

DrMadelineMaxwell · 06/07/2022 00:18

She has liked it a lot. Especially the flexibility of choice in the modules she could do which is what Durham wasn't offering when we did all the uni visits.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 06/07/2022 06:07

Thanks @DrMadelineMaxwell that’s good to hear.. We visited in October and felt the campus would suit her. Some concerns about distance in to York but probably just comparing to little Durham.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 07/07/2022 19:24

DD had her Zoom into this afternoon and feels it went well. Her degree parchment/certificate arrived bent and creased and it £35 for a replacement. Trying to claim from Royal Mail but website is glitchy.

Graduates returning to the nest, a new start for all!
Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 07/07/2022 21:56

Spent the evening going through DD’s contract with her - eg explaining what pro rata holiday entitlement means! Difficult to remember when all this was completely new to me 👵🏻.

OP posts:
Please
or

atiaofthejulii · 07/07/2022 23:02

DrMadelineMaxwell · 05/07/2022 21:01

When do your graduates get their results? Dds graduation ceremony is 2 weeks tomorrow and she hasnt told us when she is getting her results! She's gone all secret service on us and I'm wondering if it is just because she doesn't want e pestering her to find out until she has processed her results for herself first!

Ds thought it was the 6th, but actually got them a day early. Which was a nice way of doing it I thought! Got his hoped-for result, very happy 😊

Have been away for a few days with dds 2 and 3 - the 24 year old reverts a bit too easily to acting like a child in a French supermarket when she can't find the vegan food immediately 🙄- a problem which she is well aware of, she has spent plenty of time in France since becoming vegan, so really not our fault! She's back in France for a week and a half for work at the end of the month - I imagine she won't be throwing a tantrum with her work colleagues 🙄

Please
or

blametheparents · 08/07/2022 07:41

VanCleefArpels · 07/07/2022 21:56

Spent the evening going through DD’s contract with her - eg explaining what pro rata holiday entitlement means! Difficult to remember when all this was completely new to me 👵🏻.

We did exactly this too! DS said he wouldn’t be taking any holiday before Xmas, until I pointed out that he will have accrued about 8 days, but will only be allowed to carry a max of 5 through to next year.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 08/07/2022 13:57

@blametheparents are you me 😉😂

OP posts:
Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 08/07/2022 16:41

DD has got a second interview so fingers are crossed for that next week. She’s just off for a weekend away with lots of uni friends for one of their birthdays.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 08/07/2022 17:28

Oooh fingers crossed @Benjispruce4!

DS is off there too 😂

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 08/07/2022 17:47

Hahaha @bigTillyMint I did wonder. It sounds very extravagant.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 08/07/2022 18:36

Yes - way beyond our means 😀I bet they’ll have a great time!

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/07/2022 16:22

DD just finished second interview. She felt it went well but said the sign off sounded negative and is convinced she hasn’t got the job. The interviewer said there are a few others in the process and so she will speak to the other manager and arrange feedback. Does that sound like rejection?

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/07/2022 16:43

Would be odd to use the word feedback to mean unsuccessful at the end of an interview without actually saying you’ve been unsuccessful wouldn’t it?
I’m thinking maybe she meant response rather than feedback.Wishful thinking?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?