Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Parents of adult children

Graduates returning to the nest, a new start for all!

459 replies

VanCleefArpels · 01/07/2022 23:08

Carrying on from the 2019/20 Uni students thread let’s talk about what it’s like to have our fresh graduates home, for some of us invading our nice empty nest, for all of us creating a new household dynamic…….

OP posts:
Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 10/08/2022 18:06

Yes, it’s one friend in particular, the others would compromise but one is earning almonds double the others and one is subsidised by Bank of M&D. DD is now looking at 2 bed places just in case I’ve suggested they sit down and talk which is tricky as they’re all in different places at the moment.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 10/08/2022 18:06

Almonds??? Almost!

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 11/08/2022 01:45

@LouisCatorze, I moved to Clapham North in 87 - wasn’t even up and coming, more gritty and edgy! I ended up living in different parts of Clapham for 12 years, last 6 in the Old Town and it was quite cool then. Now it is very white monied, with nice bars and restaurants. Definitely the ex-Durham types 😉😃

Peckham is much cooler than Clapham now 😃

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 11/08/2022 01:48

@Benjispruce4, very tricky. Same happened to my friends DD, but she decided that she would find her own place and moved into a shared house in Streatham. Says she’s glad she did as it means she can still see her friends for nights out, etc, but isn’t tied down to doing everything with them.

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 11/08/2022 10:31

Yes, I was thinking that it's very unrepresentative (culturally) of SW London now really. A bit like Islington and Notting Hill, in terms of 'up and come ness'. The Old Town is where Vivienne Westwood lives, isn't it? I bet she started living there when it was gritty and edgy! I wonder what she thinks of its gentrification? Yes, Peckham has some great (Georgian) housing stock but a bit more difficult transport-wise without London Underground.

Please
or

VanCleefArpels · 11/08/2022 13:21

@bigTillyMint i lived in Notting Hill in the early 90’s - most definitely very edgy (dodgy!) in those days. We moved out before Richard Curtis abd artisanal bakery became a thing 😂

OP posts:
Please
or

bigTillyMint · 11/08/2022 14:41

@LouisCatorze, Peckham has the overground and trains straight into LB and Victoria do not too bad these days!
I never bumped into VW in the old town - maybe I was before her time?!

@VanCleefArpels We used to venture over to Notting Hill sometimes - market, bars and to Subterrania - clubbing occasionally as well as Carnival which was much smaller back in the 80s and early 90s!

Please
or

FayeGovan · 11/08/2022 23:17

Ds's room fell through....

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 12/08/2022 02:10

Oh no @FayeGovan - so sorry. Has she got a plan B/C/D?

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 12/08/2022 07:37

@FayeGovan so sorry to hear that.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 12/08/2022 16:17

Sorry to hear that @FayeGovan. Was this a share with friends or strangers?
DD thinks they have a place in Clapham. Friends have agreed to pay a bit more ( and get biggest bedrooms) so that DD can share with them. She’s still paying an eye watering £900 excl bills 😱 which I hate to see her pay but it’s very close to CC tube and all that the area has to offer.

Please
or

FayeGovan · 12/08/2022 19:05

It was with strangers. He's still looking. I feel helpless to help him...

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 12/08/2022 20:02

In the past somewhere like a YMCA would have been your DS's friend @FayeGovan (short-term) but I have a feeling they've all gone over to accommodating single, jobless men in recent years :-(.

I don't suppose you or your DS goes to church? Only asking because I bet church networks are a good way to find a flat/house share?

Please
or

RampantIvy · 12/08/2022 20:20

Local Facebook pages are good for finding accommodation.

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 12/08/2022 21:28

Yes, that's true @RampantIvy . And although it doesn't seem positive at the moment, something better than the fallen-through flat could be just around the corner for our DS @FayeGovan .

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 12/08/2022 21:33

your DS even Hmm

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 13/08/2022 00:44

@Benjispruce4 🤞🏼 - used to live close to CC tube myself!

Thats a good shout about local Fb groups, or forums. I know our local ones advertise for people to share @FayeGovan

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/08/2022 09:32

Really @bigTillyMint ? It looks like a nice street. When you leave outside of London , the prices are mind boggling.

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/08/2022 09:32

*live

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 13/08/2022 10:53

I had a flat in the Old Town, less than 5mins walk to the tube. DH was all for us renting it out when we moved, but I couldn’t face it (heavily pregnant with DD) - worst mistake I ever made - we would have made a mint in rent and it would be worth a mint 😩

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 13/08/2022 11:20

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Please
or

LouisCatorze · 13/08/2022 11:53

@bigTillyMint what a shame.

Please
or

bigTillyMint · 13/08/2022 15:14

Yep! And most of my local friends have the same regret. It was just before buy to let’s took off.

Please
or

FayeGovan · 13/08/2022 17:46

Thanks, he's still trying 🤞🤞

Please
or

Benjispruce4 · 15/08/2022 09:12

We ended up driving to Dorset yesterday and had a proper old fashioned day out at the seaside with both girls. It was like we’d gone back in time as we went somewhere we’ve spent numerous holidays. Both girls fell asleep on back seat on the way( left v early y and late home) and it was nice to feel a bit of suspended reality for a day. Everything is changing so quickly, I found it comforting to do something nostalgic and together.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?