My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. You may wish to speak to a medical professional before starting any diet.

Low-carb diets

Ongoing Low Carb Bootcamp Chat Thread

999 replies

BIWI · 08/07/2013 08:52

Well done everyone who completed the Summer Bootcamp!

here is the Spreadsheet of Fabulousness if you want to continue adding to it

Obviously there are many of us who want to continue, either to lose more weight or just for general support to help with this WOE, so here is a brand new, shiny chat thread.

As for me, having slipped a lot a little when I was away, I'm firmly back on the wagon today.

And can I remind you, that if you haven't completed the survey we would be very grateful for your views/thoughts on how we can improve Bootcamp.

OP posts:
CheeseAndFriedMushrooms · 01/08/2013 10:03

eglute just a suggestion but to stop myself from snacking, I brush my teeth, after my main evening meal. I am a terrible comfort eater - DH is working away three weeks out of four at the moment and with a 3 year old and 4 month old, I would comfort eat in the day to get me through it then reward myself once they're both asleep in the evening with lots some chocolate, wine, pear cider etc. then would feel awful in the morning when I felt so full and bloated. I'm really craving biscuits too, and once a packet is open in this house, it's game over. Anyway once I've brushed my teeth it really stops me thinking about snacks, as they would taste minty anyway!

StuntNun · 01/08/2013 10:13

I saw a number on the scales this morning that I haven't seen since 2011 iykwim. Very happy to have taken control of my eating and my weight is moving in the right direction at last instead of creeping up over time.

I know what you mean about the oily feel in your mouth Eglute, I don't think I could face a bulletproof coffee for that reason. I think the biggest challenge of this woe is establishing a new menu for yourself. When we're tired or in a hurry or bored then it's too easy to grab something carby because that's the way we ate for so long.

Eglute · 01/08/2013 10:29

MrsPoirot - I will try and eat more veg. but as my kitchen is being refurbished at the mo. I cannot cook at home so I only eat salad and i want some hot and cooked food. I am dreaming about mash.. i will probably have celeriac and turnip or swede mash all week next week.

Cheese - I can imagine how frustrating it can be with 2 little ones. As my kids are away for few weeks I think I will start having really early nights instead :)

Nun - you are my inspiration this morning Flowers

NewStartNewStory · 01/08/2013 10:35

Eglute, i don't eat much meat. it might feature in one meal but often i will get through the entire day without it. I used to eat a fair bit of meat. But then i used to eat virtually no veg and that is pretty much what i eat on a good day.

I know i am not going to lose much weight this week i took a pretty hard tumble or two during a training session and there is rather a lot of inflammation going on. Also the early nights haven't been happening. So today i am allowed 2 cups of normal coffee and then the rest has to be de-caff. I am only drinking it to try to keep myself going and tbh the decaff does have a placebo effect so I probably don't need it just the motivational boost it gives me.

must drink more water.

QueenQueenie · 01/08/2013 11:01

Someone gave me a packet of "Teapigs" brand liquorice and peppermint tea yesterday. It is divine! Only ingredients are those two. Please tell me liquorice isn't forbidden?

Mouseface · 01/08/2013 12:11

Afternoon all - Hope you are all doing great and feeling fab.

I thought I'd weigh myself today (now that I have the better foods in to a degree, I'm still working on it and checking things out) and I weighed in at 10st so that's 140lbs? :)

BIWI - half an apple was all I had to hand, we hadn't been shopping and it was that or nothing or toast so a one off as had to take car in for a service and was in a rush with a poorly Nemo :)

Lily - thank you for the explanation re the fruit. I'm just getting to grips with everything and trying my best, today I think I have a good food plan in place?

Re the ketchup, it was a tsp just to give the mayo a bit more flavour, carbs wise it's 20.3g per 100g and I reckon I had between 5-10g on a teaspoon? But thank you, I am trying to read everything before buying it, I look like a bloody shoplifter!! Grin Grin Grin

Breakfast this morning was 2 scrambled eggs with two med sized mushrooms, sliced and cooked with butter.

Lunch - roast chicken salad - chicken, lettuce, 1 small rasher of fried bacon (in butter) and mayo. Like a wrap.

Dinner - tuna steak, with hard boiled egg, mashed up with mayo (2x tsp) and spinach wilted in butter.

Snacks I have on hand are - strawberries, cubed cheese chunks, (1cm sq) hard boiled eggs, I also have greek yog and double cream in now.

I'm looking at the list the whole time and trying to add things in. Need to get some prawns if they are okay?

Also, what's almond butter and do you just eat it on it's own like peanut butter on toast but without the toast?

I have been to physio this morning so I'm uber sore now, no exercise of any kind for me for the next few days, I'm shuffling like a 100 yr old!

Best dash, ILs are here! Good luck everyone xxx

hurricanewyn · 01/08/2013 15:36

Queen - I've had a nose at the teapigs website, and it says trace of carbs per 100ml so you should be fine.

I've had a very cheesy day today - stuffed flat mushrooms and 2 tomato slices with a little dab of pesto, a slice of pepperoni and cheese on top (I was reading the cheese on toast thread and that was the closest I could manage)

Everything was delicious though & I'm feeling very full now.

QueenQueenie · 01/08/2013 15:45

many thanks hurricane (feel dopey for not thinking of that myself!). I can thoroughly recommend them. It's hard to explain but they somehow have a body and a fullness to them which is very different from most herbal teas and mean I don't drink cups of tea with milk...

Mouseface · 01/08/2013 16:41

I love Teapigs teas :) I have to say that I got some free samples last year and that was it, I was hooked! We have the mao feng green tea and the lemon and ginger one, which is lovely on a hot day left to go cold, then packed to the brim with ice and a slice of lime :)

I'm melting hot and not at all hungry which is really odd because this is normally the time of day when I get really hungry, but not today :)

WireCat · 01/08/2013 17:45

2nd day going well.

Can I eat corned beef? I know were not supposed to have too much processed meat but was thinking of having it like a hash but using swede.

How do you make your cauliflower cheese?

hurricanewyn · 01/08/2013 18:34

I'd eat corned beef, I think you'll be ok if only eating processed meat occasionally. I've made hash with celeriac & that was nice.

When I make cauliflower cheese, I make the sauce by melting cream cheese & adding cream to thin it to a saucy consistency. I also add a little bit of mustard and a sprinkling of nutmeg. Add the chopped up cauliflower and mix, top with grated cheese and brown in the oven - lovely Smile

StuntNun · 01/08/2013 18:47

Does anyone have any alternatives to cauliflower rice as an accompaniment for curry? DH hates cauliflower and didn't like the idea of curry on lettuce. I was wondering about something with okra or aubergine like you get in Indian restaurants.

B: strawberries and Greek yoghurt
L: two chicken legs and one thigh
S: pork scratchings
Emergency glass of wine due to badly behaved children
D: sausages, Brussels sprouts and courgettes
There may be more wine later. Hmm

BerylStreep · 01/08/2013 18:48

I can't seem to get on to the spreadsheet to record my weight.

I am finally shifting downwards, and am now 89.6kg (197.5 lb).

Would anyone be able to fill it in for me please?

BerylStreep · 01/08/2013 18:53

Stuntnun I made IPD's lamb curry last week which is based on butternut squash and spinach. It is really thick, so doesn't need an accompaniment, although I also made a red pepper raita, with chopped red pepper (could also add cucumber or make it with green pepper which I think would be lower carb) and greek yoghurt. Then fry cumin and black mustard seeds in some olive oil until the mustard seeds start to pop, and drizzle over the raita.

I also have a nice recipe for baked aubergine in its skin until it is all mushy and then you add cumin. Will have a look to see if I can find the recipe, but aubergine is on the carboy side (as is butternut squash I suppose).

WireCat · 01/08/2013 20:19

Thanks hurricanewyn

My eating the last 2 days, could someone make sure I'm doing it right.

Day 1.
B. scrambled egg & mushrooms cooked in veg oil
L. Tuna mayonnaise, lettuce, cucumber with olive oil, lemon & mustard dressing. Also small bit of feta sprinkled over.
D. Chicken thighs roasted with chilli & oil with creamy leeks (double cream, butter, mustard & grand pandano)
Snack, slice of bacon

Day 2.
B. Mushroom omelette cooked in butter & oil
L. Lettuce, cucumber, olives, feta with olive oil, lemon & mustard dressing
D. Corned beef swede hash with creamy cauliflower.

BerylStreep · 01/08/2013 20:33

WireCat that looks great! Are you drinking lots of water?

dollywould · 01/08/2013 21:19

StuntNun the spiced butternut squash recipe on the Bootcamp recipe thread is delicious. I added mustard seeds, fennel and coriander seeds and it was one of the best veg curries I've tasted. We're having it at the weekend with coconut chicken curry.

Breakfast at Dollywould: Greek yoghurt, a teaspoon on flaxseeds & some defrosted raspberries.

Lunch: a roast chicken quarter, olives and a handful of mange tout (Ran out of lettuce. My salad drawer was bare)

Dinner: BIWI's recipe of sausages cooked on a bed of courgettes, aubergine, red onion and garlic. With some goat's cheese on top of the olive oil I poured all over it. Really lovely.

Snacks: blue cheese mixed with Greek yoghurt and used as a dip for some French beans. And a small bowl of olives.

And enough water to fill a pool. Probably.

LilyAmaryllis · 01/08/2013 23:37

It is nice reading everyone's meal lists, good for ideas!

I am now officially on holiday!

Good luck for your Monday plan Eglute. I don't eat ANY meat. Also my consumption of vegetables has gone UP since I started this WOE.

I've horrified DH by looking forward to having my breakfast eggs with leftover swede mash from dinner tonight.

Secondsop · 02/08/2013 01:24

stuntnun when I have takeaway curry I have the dishes (1 meat dish, 1 mutter paneer without eating the peas) with veg that i've cooked myself eg steamed broccoli, stir fried Savoy cabbage. Sometimes I order a veg curry dish eg Aubergine bhaji, as well.

StuntNun · 02/08/2013 06:36

Many thanks for the curry tips. My older DSs are going to make pizza from scratch so DH and I will be able to indulge in some spicy food. GrinGrinGrin

Eglute · 02/08/2013 09:06

BerylStreep - I have filled spreadsheet for you. Well done for shifting downwards :)

Lily - have you finished all your tasks? HAPPY HOLIDAY for you :)
My kitchen will be sorted by tonight.. I cannot wait to make that mash for myself.. yum

BerylStreep · 02/08/2013 09:47

Eglute thank you. I know it is a tiny shift, but I have been hovering around the same weight for aaaages, so I feel the need to celebrate even tiny victories!

WireCat · 02/08/2013 10:01

I am exhausted.
Is it normal to feel like this?

Yesterday (day2) I had a horrendous headache. It had gone by kid afternoon after 2 lots of paracetamol & a nap!

I am not at all hungry.

Didn't eat much yesterday.

Have 2 hard boiled eggs in the fridge that I made yesterday but didn't eat.

I just feel a bit ill/sick & exhausted. Just want to know if it's normal.

Day 3 for me. Oh & no weight loss at all.

NewStartNewStory · 02/08/2013 10:09

Might be carb flu. Make sure you do eat the 3 meals and drink plenty of water otherwise it will get increasingly difficult. Good luck.

I am going to need a hand back on the wagon tomo. Have identified another wobble trigger. Gotta love that emotional eating nonsense. Sticking to plan as much as i can but know that there may be residual wobbling today. get to see the doc about pain meds that don't work and give fun side effects like insomnia later. can't wait Hmm

BIWI · 02/08/2013 10:16

WireCat - definitely carb flu. Drink plenty of water, keep your fat intake up and make sure you are eating plenty of salt. (Make a hot drink with an Oxo cube or some Marmite/Bovril) It will soon pass.

Re no weight loss you are only on day 3! Stop weighing daily if you are going to start obsessing about weight like this, it isn't good for you Grin

NewStart - good luck with the doctor Flowers

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.