Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Baby 5

gracex4 · 27/05/2020 21:21

Hiya I'm new to this like literally just downloaded the app 5mins ago 😬 but I wanted to see how many big families are out there and when I searched it on here so many negative comments it shocked me! I'd like to chat with mums 4 or more ☺️

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tsotofamily · 27/05/2020 22:20

Hi Gracex4

Im a mummy to 4. Do you have 5 or you expecting no.5?

Please
or

HotSince82 · 27/05/2020 22:57

I've got five children, however on MN that is tantamount to being wholly responsible for climate change. Oh and your kids will automatically have a shit and deprived existence because of your selfish fecklessness.
Have fun on here Wink

Please
or

FluffyPinkSocks · 27/05/2020 23:05

I have 5, all two years apart. Nothing to it (yet)! Obviously the washing pile got bigger but there wasn’t any real change except I was knackered for the first year or so. Mine all eat at the same time and go to bed/their bedroom at the same time, they are big into routine. All fine so far but I find they are definitely costing me more as they get older and I only have one teen so far. Tbh 5 is hard to beat, I’m very happy with my lot!

Please
or

gracex4 · 28/05/2020 10:31

I know this site is crazy and I don't no how to use it 🤣but the comments jheez so I have
B-12
B-10
B-8
G-6 so all two years apart and one on the way so a 6 year age gap #madeinthelockdown
We both work full time and I have a great set up
With my mum so I guess it's just another one to add to the team xx

OP's posts:
Please
or

HappyAsASandboy · 28/05/2020 10:37

Ha ha! The double whammy if a large family and using family for childcare! The Mumsnet double whammy Wink Please don't be put off by those that think leaving your kids with your parents is ditching your responsibilities and taking the piss out of your parent. If it works for you and yours, then how brilliant is that!

I have 4 children - 9 year old twins, a 5 year old and a 2 month old. So quite big gaps. It's wonderful to see them growing together (most of the time!) and during lockdown I have been so so thankful that they have each other to play with.

Welcome to Mumsnet, and congratulations on your pregnancy Thanks

Please
or

gracex4 · 28/05/2020 11:06

Aww thank you, yeah I have seen 😬but I think half of the commenters should have more kids so they have less time on there hands 🤣 I was lucky my mum actually got made redundant when I was pregnant with the 6yo so she child cares as a job. Drum roll please... yes I actually pay my mum is that gonna get pulled up as well? You can't win can ya. ☺️ lock down hasn't been the worst for us because we are key workers the children have been at school it's been abit of normality up until two weeks ago when I found out I was expecting. My eldest is to cool to be around us most of the time and the youngest drives everyone mad but the middle two play lol x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Viviennemary · 28/05/2020 11:12

Not many. I dont approve of larger families but you don't have to take any notice of anybody else. Not even me. Grin

Please
or

gracex4 · 28/05/2020 11:28

This is what I don't understand if you don't approve and you aren't a larger family then why did you feel the need to comment 💁🏼‍♀️

OP's posts:
Please
or

Viviennemary · 28/05/2020 13:46

Because I was trying to point out to the OP that people will disapprove but she need take no notice of them. I hate threads where somebody decides only certain replies will be allowed

Please
or

HotSince82 · 28/05/2020 14:32

Honestly OP you don't need to meet with anybody's approval.

I disapprove of lots of things, why should anybody care?

Please
or

gracex4 · 28/05/2020 15:14

I'm not really fussed about approval just wanted to speak to some mums in the same position. Me and hubby are happy kids are happy I don't see anything wrong with that 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

HappyAsASandboy · 30/05/2020 02:26

One thing I've really noticed since lockdown has lifted a bit and I've been out with all four kids is that slightly older people who have larger families talk to me and tell me how great having 4 is and how lovely my family is. I sort of feel like I've entered a "larger families club"! It's been really lovely to speak to people who have been there before me!

Please
or

gracex4 · 30/05/2020 11:38

I love that! Because for generations before us having a larger family was the norm and I think it's amazing to have so many people connected. Like my maiden name would have died off but my boys are going to carry on my dads name and I think that's amazing (I wasn't married when I had the boys) I'm sure that's against all rules but who cares 😎

OP's posts:
Please
or

Gunpowder · 30/05/2020 11:46

I’ve got four! It’s nice they have siblings to play with during lockdown. I’ve had climate change comments in real life and ‘haven’t your heard of contraception?!’ from a very rude young man on the bus. It’s not like I can change anything now so I try to ignore the negativity. I agree with pp that slightly older people are overwhelmingly positive and complementary about big families!

Please
or

justanotherneighinparadise · 30/05/2020 11:48

Large families used to be the norm for societal and cultural reasons. Obviously times have moved on for many.

Please
or

gracex4 · 30/05/2020 12:06

I've never had rude comments to my face. I get the don't you own a tv or you got your girl now thought you was done, people trying to be funny kinda thing. I love to hear of big families Our house is a noisy but happy one and they all have each other which is great.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NotIncandescentWithRage · 30/05/2020 13:13

@Viviennemary

Not many. I dont approve of larger families but you don't have to take any notice of anybody else. Not even me. Grin

Why are you even on this board then? Get yourself over to AIBU and start a thread on your disapproval.
Please
or

gracex4 · 30/05/2020 16:34

Thank you ^
That's what I thought

OP's posts:
Please
or

EsmaeDe · 01/06/2020 17:02

Hi Hun
I’m a big family mum 😆
I have DS 18 (from previous relationship)
Then .. wait for it..
DD 5 in July
DS 4 in July
DD 3 in Sep
DS 2 in October
DD 2 in October

AND ANOTHER DUE ANY DAY NOW 🤣

Yes we’re mad and crazy but we wouldn’t have it any other way! I get comments all t he time about age gaps, how many, and even their names! I just joined her to find some other big family mums I could chat to but now I’m scared 😁 x

Please
or

Kezmum14 · 01/06/2020 17:17

I’ve got 4 and due number 5 at the end of the month 🥰 very excited to be having our 5th and id like one more if possible!
I had a comment the other day saying ‘is it really necessary to have a 5th’ just makes me laugh. 🤣

Please
or

EsmaeDe · 01/06/2020 17:20

People just have to comment don’t they!? I take no notice. We love our big family. Congratulations btw ! I’m really excited too, can’t wait to meet him/her

Please
or

gracex4 · 01/06/2020 17:57

@EsmaeDe you are like the devil of MN 🤣I love it you brave woman. I would keep going but our house is just to small 😆

OP's posts:
Please
or

gracex4 · 01/06/2020 17:58

Do neither of you no what you are having?
Obvs a baby🤣

OP's posts:
Please
or

EsmaeDe · 01/06/2020 18:45

Haha 😂 I’ve noticed!! No comments yet about my mini entourage!
We didn’t find out this time round, hubbie reckons it’s a girl but I’m not sure 🤔
It is hard having a big lot. But we’re very lucky as we have the room. We didn’t to begin with though !

Please
or

mathanxiety · 01/06/2020 19:19

I think half of the commenters should have more kids so they have less time on there hands

Grin Grin
I like the cut of your jib, @gracex4.

I have five, aged from almost 19 to just turned 30 now. Just over eleven years from oldest to youngest. There is an average of almost three years between them though actual gaps differ.

One of the nicest parts of a larger family is when they are older and they have formed a little tribe for themselves. It makes for lovely Christmases and other celebrations. They're all more or less single still, though a few prospects have been dragged home to meet me over the years. DD1 has found herself someone who might be a keeper, so we will see. It will be interesting to see what the next phase of our lives brings. Families never stay static for long. Enjoy each phase while you're in the thick of it Smile.

It was noisy and hectic when they were all small, and I remember trips to the zoo and the beach and even shopping for school supplies when I spent the entire time doing mental headcounts. The crunch of crumbs underfoot in the kitchen all summer, the list of Summer Rules which I stuck on the fridge (#1 - ASK FOR SNACKS) - ahh, memories.. I used to send them all up to bed at the same time, no faffing about with individual bedtimes that took up the entire evening. That one bedtime that fit all was shockingly late by MN standards (between 8.30 and 9) but we always ate late, and who cares what anyone else thinks if something works for you.

Then it turned noisy and hectic in a different way as they entered the teen years and then suddenly it quieted down and I missed them terribly as they headed off to university and then away to start careers. I have DD4 left at home now but soon DD3 will return as she is transferring to a local university offering a degree pretty much tailor made to her interests that she can commute to and save $$$ on room and board.

We are in the US where larger families are not openly scorned, though there are pearl clutchers here too, and people who gave us a sharp look when out and about, possibly pigeon holing me as some sort of fringe fundamentalist. The vast majority smiled and many even offered a compliment, which was very nice especially on a day that had me doubting my sanity.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.