Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Holiday addicts!

99 replies

Mumtoboyscanterbury · 21/03/2022 17:55

I can’t stop looking at trips and getting excited about booking them. I already have a UK cottage booked for Easter and a European beach holiday for July but I am now obsessing over where to go after that. All our spare money goes into holidays (probably a bit silly - but then I’ve never regretted a single trip so maybe not) - I think it’s because both of us travelled a lot pre kids and now they’re older it feels feasible again. Anyone else spend a lot of time thinking about travel?!!

OP posts:
Please
or

FoodieToo · 21/03/2022 20:01

Yes CONSTANTLY !!! I have 16 flights booked this year ......
Family of 7 so it really adds up but we drive older cars , don't buy much clothes so other than kids' activites which we also splurge on we don't spend on much else .
It's a fun hobby !!

Please
or

gogohm · 21/03/2022 20:06

Me, we have a huge list of places to visit, as in more than we could ever manage! Got two overseas and 6 U.K. 2 nights. Most the U.K. ones involve the tent, one of the overseas is by motorbike

Please
or

RussianSpy101 · 21/03/2022 20:09

Me!!! I absolutely live for holidays!
This year we’ve already done Fuerteventura and have Cornwall in April, South of France in May, Greece in the summer and Cape Verde in October

I’ve also got some UK weekend breaks booked- we aim for 1 a month.

@FoodieToo I love this! I want to try for number 4 but I’m so on the fence.

I’ve informed DH I want a holiday each half term from now on 😂😂

Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 21/03/2022 20:13

I never stop thinking about booking trips away. Unfortunately I don't have the means Grin but it doesn't stop me looking.

Please
or

whoruntheworldgirls · 21/03/2022 20:18

Me, always looking on travel agent websites, normally have 2 or 3 lined up but at the moment only 1 at Easter due to the changing requirements. Almost all our spare money goes on holidays.

Please
or

Mumtoboyscanterbury · 21/03/2022 20:20

Oh you guys are making me feel so much better! Do you go back to the sand place more than once or try new places? I like taking my kids to places I went to years ago. I am close to booking a second summer holiday but I know it’s not entirely sensible and the money should go into savings…. I just LOVE that feeling of all setting off together as a family - it’s such a cool way of connecting.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mumtoboyscanterbury · 21/03/2022 20:20

Same not sand

OP posts:
Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 21/03/2022 20:23

Quite often go back to the same places but like trying new places too. Also like to mix it up - I love UK holidays but I like to camp, Air BnB, stay in a lodge, stay in a posh hotel, stay in a pub with rooms, stay in a Premier Inn 🤣 I'm not fussy!

Please
or

Mumtoboyscanterbury · 21/03/2022 20:26

Yes I enjoy different types/levels of accommodation too. 😄 We’re both teachers with lots of holiday so that doesn’t help my addiction. 🤣

OP posts:
Please
or

Mumtoboyscanterbury · 21/03/2022 20:27

I sometimes wonder if it’s because I’m trying to escape from reality but I do like my day to day life, I just love having something to look forward to to break it up. I bet as much pleasure from the anticipation before hand as the actual trip!

OP posts:
Please
or

CornishGem1975 · 21/03/2022 20:29

@Mumtoboyscanterbury

I sometimes wonder if it’s because I’m trying to escape from reality but I do like my day to day life, I just love having something to look forward to to break it up. I bet as much pleasure from the anticipation before hand as the actual trip!

Sometimes it is definitely an escape. I WFH 5 days a week, so I relish the change of scenery!

And I'm the type of person who needs something to look forward to. I actually feel quite low when I don't have anything on the horizon.

I also just love the planning, researching where to eat, places to go.
Please
or

livyaz · 21/03/2022 20:33

Absolutely yes!!!!
So glad places are opened up again, plans so far...
Malta in Feb
Greece in May
USA in August
Italy in November
Oh and Scotland in September!!

Please
or

AnyFucker · 21/03/2022 20:37

Allll the time.

Life is too short. Before you know it your health is gone and travel is no longer an option. Covid travel restrictions were a killer for me.

We managed to get away in August 2020. Then again in Jan 2022 which was a holiday already postponed twice.

This week we are off again and have something else booked in June.

Please
or

Madrenetterhere · 21/03/2022 20:43

Meeeeee!!!!!
I've got two holidays abroad booked this year and honestly I am a miserable bastard if I don't have a holiday booked to look forward to. I am the least materialistic person ever, all my spare cash goes into holidays. I love the anticipation having something to look forward to and once it's all over the memories!!!

Enjoy your hol! Happy for ya!

Please
or

bert3400 · 21/03/2022 20:49

I've found my people Grin. I love holidays and will gladly eat baked beans on toast to afford another trip away . So far this year we've done Barbados and we are off to the Maldives in April and the kids went to Dubai with the GPs at half term We are lucky as we live overseas in a gorgeous part of the world but I still love taking the kids ( teens) on a new adventure. What shall I book next Grin

Please
or

RussianSpy101 · 21/03/2022 20:54

Enjoy your holidays guys!!! So nice to have people to share holiday excitement with 🎉

Please
or

BlackLambAndGreyFalcon · 21/03/2022 20:57

Me too! Got a trip to Germany booked for Easter, a 3-week road trip in the Baltic states for the summer and skiing in Austria for Christmas! Can't wait! Already thinking about 2023 trips.

Please
or

Mumtoboyscanterbury · 21/03/2022 21:02

Me too @BlackLambAndGreyFalcon - desperate for the airlines to release their flight schedules for summer 23!

OP posts:
Please
or

Hawkins001 · 21/03/2022 21:04

I'd love to, especially the memories and the photography aspect, I'd be like a national geographic, person, but my limits are £, so in the mean time, it's usually YouTube or google

Please
or

FoodieToo · 21/03/2022 23:34

We do a real mix of holidays .
Ski every year ( apart from Covid ) and go luxury on that .
Tend to return to the same place in Austria.
Just back from a 5th trip to Duinrell.
Cruft's last weekend ( live in Dublin !). Also go there every year . Love a Premier Inn too !!
Heading to Ikos in Corfu with friends over Easter . Back to same all inclusive in Rhodes with the family in the summer.
Mix it up more with city breaks.
We love all types of holiday - theme parks, active , pool ,ski etc.
I should really save some money but life is too short and unpredictable ........

Please
or

FoodieToo · 21/03/2022 23:37

I have a 5 year holiday plan spreadsheet ..............

Please
or

babbi · 21/03/2022 23:41

I have found my people 😊
I live for holidays and all my sisters money goes in deals … I’ll go almost anywhere !!

Please
or

babbi · 21/03/2022 23:42

All my spare money 🤣

Please
or

Lovinglife45 · 21/03/2022 23:59

Wow - some great holidays planned - I am envious! I have never never been on more than one holiday in a year.

Hoping for a short break in the summer, perhaps in the UK.

Please
or

PAFMO · 22/03/2022 06:15

Me. Constantly.
I love planning itineraries and researching hotels. Bloody love it.
I am currently sorting out where to rebook this summer for all the trips cancelled over the past two years. Got so many flight vouchers I lose track.
I book flights (easyJet my airline of choice) when they are released and pay something like £30. Then I start researching the rest.

I own one pair of winter shoes and 1 pair of summer. Shoes cost more than an easyJet flight is the way I look at it. But I'm not going to lie on my deathbed remembering those shoes/handbag am I? The 3 days in Lisbon, possibly. Grin

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?