My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're interested in Roman, military, British or art history, join our History forum to discuss your passion with other MNers.

History club

Wolf Hall discussion continuation thread

751 replies

AKnickerfulOfMenace · 11/02/2015 13:10

Continuing the thread from Telly Addicts, just in time for episode 4

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/2288038-Damian-Lewis-fans-line-up-for-Wolf-Hall-tonight?msgid=52500336#52500336

OP posts:
mammuzzamia · 12/02/2015 10:44

I love the programme so far. Love that there is no annoying background music, and that the main focus is on Cromwell.

I remember that ropey scene in The Tudors (one of many, then) where they have Henry humming Greensleeves, nodding, then putting it onto paper. Grin

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 10:44

I need a gable hood

my hair has been lying fallow for a while and now looks like Lesser's More's

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 10:47

that ropey scene in The Tudors (one of many, then) where they have Henry humming Greensleeves, nodding, then putting it onto paper

ROAR

there's a corny biopic of Cole Porter where he hears the clock ticking and then tosses off Night and Day. But that is dead old- Cary Grant is in it Grin

you'd think Great British Telly would have moved on from there

funnyossity · 12/02/2015 10:50

I did love The Tudors...

squoosh · 12/02/2015 10:58

Poor slightly uncouth Lady Alice didn't get a second thought from her husband, he was too busy enjoying his moment of martyrdom.

UptoapointLordCopper · 12/02/2015 11:40

I sat through the episode thinking Poor Anne! She thinks she has power, but she doesn't! This won't end well ...

Quenelle · 12/02/2015 12:48

I can't help it, I keep getting scenes from Blackadder flashing into my brain when I'm watching Wolf Hall.

Last night in the Lady Alice scene all I could think about was Lady Farrow begging Blackadder to let her see her husband before he was executed.

Quenelle · 12/02/2015 12:49

You'll be telling me his arm's grown back next.

Wolf Hall discussion continuation thread
TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 12/02/2015 14:22

Quenelle, yes, I think you're right about the gable hood reference. That must be why they're going to town on it, to make it really stand out when Jane does that.

Muddha, you can get a lovely gable hood pattern here.

They were selling off the actual ones they made for the programme with the christening procession the other week but I think they've all gone now - clearly there has been a run on gable hoods. Maybe female hipsters wear them.

FrankelandFilly · 12/02/2015 14:26

Lost you all for a while! Really enjoyed last night's episode.

Can anyone tell me, was Anne's SIL Jane (whatsherface from Call the Midwife) acknowledged as a bit of a cow? My only other frame of reference is Phillipa Gregory who certainly painted her as a scorned, vindictive character, but is that based in fact?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 12/02/2015 14:36

We don't really know an awful lot about Jane Rochford. People paint her as a bitch based on the fact that she gave evidence against her own husband and Anne, and as a bit salacious and creepy based on the fact that she seems to have helped the young Katherine Howard to meet her lover, but there's another view that she was just a bit of a people-pleaser who found it hard to say no to anyone, and that she might have been put under pressure in the interrogation over Anne (no-one is suggesting torture or anything, but it would be a scary situation and you might well agree to say things).

There was a biography of her a few years ago but the main criticism of it that I've seen is that because we know so little, it inevitably falls back on generalising most of the time in a 'as a Tudor woman, Jane would have done this...' sort of way because there isn't enough specific stuff to say.

UptoapointLordCopper · 12/02/2015 14:54

Quenelle Yes! That would be why the Lady Alice scene felt so familiar! Grin

FrankelandFilly · 12/02/2015 15:11

Thanks Countess, I had forgotten about her involvement with Catherine Howard as well. As you say, hard to know for sure if she was spiteful/liked to play games, or just naive/easy to manipulate.

squoosh · 12/02/2015 15:20

I loved the gable hoods the women in Principal Cromwell's office were wearing. One woman in particular was wearing a gloriously elaborate example which contrasted fantastically with her rather stark features, facially she resembled one of the Easter Island statues. (I honestly don't mean that in a bitchy way either).

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 12/02/2015 16:25

I wonder if Cromwell could have got any one of us to say anything he wanted. Or if some of us would have stood up to him and needed a bit of perjury from Richard Riche to bring us down.

Duckdeamon · 12/02/2015 16:31

I didn't understand the references by the painter to TC being in love with someone (and forgetting an old, foreign love?) and when he was ill. Is he meant to fancy Jane Seymour or be in love with his SIL who he was with last week? Have forgotten the (fab) book!

squoosh · 12/02/2015 16:37

Holbein (who seemed like a very jolly sort) was referring to the woman Cromwell fell in love with in Italy (?), the woman in the tapestry reminds him of her. I assumed the new someone else woman referred to his SIL although he does seem to have quite a fancy for Jane Seymour too.

He definitely likes the blondes.

Duckdeamon · 12/02/2015 16:38

Thanks squish!

Duckdeamon · 12/02/2015 16:38

Squoosh! Autocorrect grrr

magimedi · 12/02/2015 16:39

It was an Italian woman he was in love with - from the time when he left the UK a roamed around abroad, before the books really start. I think her name was Anselma & she looks like the woman on the tapestry that Henry gave him. And I think he lived with her in Antwerp - long before he married Liz.

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 16:47

Antwerp is lovely

I do like the idea of everyone shuttling to and fro with IDEAS and stuff

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 16:48

I think I'm a bit too banal for a history club thread

funnyossity · 12/02/2015 16:52

Oops did I admit to liking The Tudors in History Club? Blush

squoosh · 12/02/2015 16:52

Antwerp would have just loved your ideas Muddha!

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 17:04

first rule of history club:

NO LOLS
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.