My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Whether you're interested in Roman, military, British or art history, join our History forum to discuss your passion with other MNers.

History club

Wolf Hall discussion continuation thread

751 replies

AKnickerfulOfMenace · 11/02/2015 13:10

Continuing the thread from Telly Addicts, just in time for episode 4

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/telly_addicts/2288038-Damian-Lewis-fans-line-up-for-Wolf-Hall-tonight?msgid=52500336#52500336

OP posts:
Clawdy · 11/02/2015 22:47

TC remarked near the start of the episode that he remembered seeing More for the first time, TC was a pot-boy serving More and More was reading.....it was a flashback in TC's head as he watched More die.

florentina1 · 11/02/2015 22:50

Maimed I, That was a memory. When Cromwell was a boy he served Moore. He told him earlier that when he went into the room he was reading a book. He asked him what it was and he said "words". Moore said that he did not remember the meeting.

magimedi · 11/02/2015 22:51

OK - but the flute/lute player???????? (Who shuts the window & obv doesn't watch?)

Clobbered · 11/02/2015 22:54

The recorder player is a young More.

Loving the way TC looks more flashy in each episode - last week a fur collar, this week, fur-lined shirt.

magimedi · 11/02/2015 22:58

Am going to have to re watch it tomorrow - what a hardship!!

Travelledtheworld · 11/02/2015 23:00

magimedi that was the Young More again, playing the recorder ( which was a popular instrument in those days). Young TC was watching him and wanted to make friends.
TCs uncle worked in the kitchens in the big house at Greenwich. TC would go and help there, hoping for food and to avoid another beating from his own father.

ExitPursuedByABear · 11/02/2015 23:08

I can play Greensleeves on the recorder.

magimedi · 11/02/2015 23:08

Flowers to all of you - I can go to bed happy now.

And I will watch it again tomorrow.

And the scene where Holbein is painting TC - how did TC manage to look so like the portrait we know? Just so outstanding - the whole series.

Only two left - I am already starting to feel sad.

Trills · 11/02/2015 23:12

Is he going to get to see the finished portrait and ask "why didn't you tell me I look like a murderer?" or whatever it is?

JoanHickson · 11/02/2015 23:14

Argghh, I still haven't caught up from planner. Place marking for when I do.

Pantah630 · 11/02/2015 23:27

I rewatched episode 3 beforehand so have had a mini feast this evening. It's exsquisite, highly addictive, pretty sure two more episodes will not be enough. I have questions popping up all the way through, it's a great writer that can give so much and leave you searching for more information because they've tickled your senses.

I'm intrigued by Thomas More, those that have studied the period, is this true to known facts or has Mantell skewed history. He comes over as both a vulnerable martyr to his true beliefs and an unfeeling man determined he was right and hell to those that disagree. I've not put that properly, struggling for the correct words, hopefully you know what I mean.

On a more superficial note, loving the sets, acting, lighting, even music has grown on me. Rylance gets better week on week think I've a bit of a crush now

hesterton · 11/02/2015 23:32

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Travelledtheworld · 11/02/2015 23:35

Exit Greensleeves is often attributed to Henry VIII though it is probably an older tune. Lots of recorder music was composed during the Renaissance.

There was a scene where the baby Princess was in her cradle in front of Anne Boleyn and then taken away because she was crying .
The tune the recorders and lutes were playing brilliantly in the background was called " My Lady Careys Dompe" . A dance written for harpsichord and lute which may refer to Mary Boelyn who wife of William Cary when he died in 1528.

Here is a brilliant performance on the harpsichord. hope the link works.....

m.youtube.com/watch?v=uJvucBDevyw

flashystars · 11/02/2015 23:42

I'm in

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 12/02/2015 09:24

OK, my verdict on last night.

Some brilliant moments.

Loved the Holbein scene and how they'd recreated the wall coverings behind him so it was exactly the same as the painting. It did underline how different he looks from actual Cromwell, though.

Henry VIII is getting fantastically terrifying, like no other film/tv Henry ever. Great stuff.

More - loved the way it felt like egotism, and you just wanted to give him a slap, rather than admiring his integrity. Actually I do admire his integrity but the Man for All Seasons version is so idealised that we needed a corrective. Loved Alice More's outfit.

BUT

THEY ARE DOING THE HAT THING!!

The hat thing is where you give the 'just like us' characters fairly reasonable headwear and give the authentic strange-looking hats to the people who you're not meant to sympathise with or whose mindsets are alien. (The White Queen was very bad for The Hat Thing.) In RL, men wore black wool coifs under their hats. These can look a bit weird to modern eyes. So they made More wear his coif all the time, and Cromwell never except for the portrait scene, where given that he was wearing one in the actual portrait they couldn't have quite got away with leaving it off. With the women, they are putting the Catholic-sympathising women into gable hoods (mostly really massive ones, too) and the others into the much less silly French hoods. Anne DID prefer French hoods, so that's not all wrong, but going by portraits the women of the court wore a mixture.

Tiredemma · 12/02/2015 09:33

I recorded and have a days annual leave today (ALONE!!) so going to get on teh sofa later and watch

Quenelle · 12/02/2015 10:00

I just love it. I too am already sad there are only two episodes left. Although I think they're going to be stonking.

I like DL, his Henry does a nice line in impassive with a hint of menace which is quite frightening. He also has a slightly spoilt, petulant way about him. He's very believable.

And TC's pose for Holbein was so immediately recognisable. Brilliantly done.

I love MR's performance, I think Mark Rylance is a superb actor,

Quenelle · 12/02/2015 10:01

Whoops, posted early there, was in the middle of correcting my last line. Who knew ctrl+return is a shortcut for post?

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 10:13

Pantah I think HM uses a lot of Artistic Licence, but then she's only reflecting TC's likely POV. I'm sure TC would have happily given him a clump

I think that trial bit was inaccurate tho so will go off to google it look in my extensive library

we missed the execution! I'd heard that there were going to be Graphic Scenes, so I put my fingers in my ears and shut my eyes

was shouting to dp HAVE THEY DONE IT YET while he was yelling I DON'T KNOW I'VE GOT MY EYES SHUT

we are dicks

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 10:15

love the Hat Thing, countess

it did cross my mind- when I saw Lady Alice- but I didn't know it was an actual thing

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 12/02/2015 10:20

Travelled, thank you for the harpsichord link - that's beautiful.

I am loving the music. Do you think they'll bring out a cd?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 12/02/2015 10:20

Ooh, they are!

MuddhaOfSuburbia · 12/02/2015 10:21

Henry VIII is getting fantastically terrifying, like no other film/tv Henry ever

what was that More line again, when (??) he was made Chancellor- 'if my head could get him a castle, it would not fail to go'?- or sth along those lines

chilling

gallows humour-years before the event

Quenelle · 12/02/2015 10:37

HM referred to the hats at the end of BUTB didn't she? Jane Seymour was wearing a gable hood when TC went to meet her at Wolf Hall. As a calculated move to look less trendy and with-it to Henry I think?

Travelledtheworld · 12/02/2015 10:38

Thanks Countess' will look forward to that.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.