to access all these features

Applying for uni in 2021 part 2

poppycat10 · 26/02/2021 10:14

OP's posts:
Please
or

SeasonFinale · 26/02/2021 10:22

Hi we have over 20 who have applied to LSE and not one has heard either way yet (offer or rejection) for a number of different courses.

We have had a fair few UCL offers through again for a variety of subjects including medicine.

Please
or

ShaunaTheSheep · 26/02/2021 10:47

Thanks for the new thread poppycat10.

Seasonfinale, interesting. I’ll let DS know he’s not alone.

Please
or

ChazsBrilliantAttitude · 26/02/2021 11:15

DS1 is waiting on Warwick that sent out an email a few days ago saying there would be a delay in offers.

Please
or

Bee0808 · 26/02/2021 13:59

Ds1 just had an e mail from Nottingham offering to reduce his offer...!
This has come at a great time for him as he's been SO stressed and anxious about his grades/awarding criteria.
So it looks like Nottingham will be his firm and Loughborough his insurance.

Please
or

LeiatheSchnauzer · 26/02/2021 16:32

Congratulations @Bee0808, that is such great news for him! How long has he had an offer from them?

Please
or

Bee0808 · 26/02/2021 16:36

Thank you! :)
He's had his offers for a while now but has been struggling to choose his firm...I think this has made his decision easier.
Loughborough was the last offer he received, quite a while after the others.
I know that one or two of his friends are still waiting for offers from St Andrews and Birmingham...

Please
or

Bee0808 · 26/02/2021 16:38

I think course choice makes a difference in offer times...
Ds1 has applied for history and politics

Please
or

SeasonFinale · 26/02/2021 17:41

Some Durham geography ones have been released this evening.

Please
or

storminasnowglobe · 26/02/2021 19:00

Thanks for the new thread Poppycat Smile.
DD has firmed her offer from Cardiff for Modern History & Politics and completed her accommodation application, so we can put it out of our minds now for a while thankfully after all the drama of her changing her mind about studying Law (after she'd already received 5 offers for that subject Confused). Anyway, we will just have to wait and see whether she does actually decide to go or not as now talking about a gap year again... HmmGrin. I'm really hoping that Wales will come out of lockdown at some point before August so we can nip over to Cardiff and get a feel for the uni and the city, even if not an official visit. I think it would help DD massively to visit in person.

Please
or

Bee0808 · 26/02/2021 22:20

Ds has firmed Nottingham
Loughborough as insurance
Phew!

Please
or

Beetlesand · 27/02/2021 01:00

Dd has also firmed and insured now. Smile

Please
or

BigWoollyJumpers · 27/02/2021 11:41

When you firm and insure, do the universities usually get in touch? DD hasn't had anything back from Exeter. UCAS track has updated, but nothing direct from them. They have opened up their accommodation link to register, but you need an applicant number. Anyone heard anything back from their firmed up offers?

Please
or

fayebebaby · 27/02/2021 12:48

My dd had e mails from her firm and insurance

Please
or

Beetlesand · 27/02/2021 13:01

Dd had a welcome to course (dept) email from her firm uni and an email from her insurance about what being insurance means .

Please
or

Bee0808 · 27/02/2021 14:40

Ds has had an e mail from his insurance choice

Please
or

LeiatheSchnauzer · 28/02/2021 07:27

How is everyone's dc responding to the a level grading decision? Dd1 was ok with it till she got a low mark in a fairly new module yesterday. She was pretty upset as now, of course, feels like every piece of work she does is the same as an exam. Or at least something that pulls down her average rather than being an anomaly.
Am really hoping she will get a chance to talk to her teachers about where they think she is, grades wise. She had been fairly confident that she would ultimately get her grades but this is now causing a wobble.

Please
or

Changedusernamehahaha · 28/02/2021 07:39

I’ve read there’s no cap on top grades and that the a-levels this year marked by teachers are due to be very high grades.

Please
or

Beetlesand · 28/02/2021 08:27

Dd has also had a wobble about a few lower grades... amplified by being at home I think.
Dd moved from a very low preforming school to this higher performing 6th form ( both state) and so there has always been a sense of having to prove herself a bit. She worries that the teachers don’t know her as well and that they might unconsciously mark her down somehow. I have assured her that there is no ranking going on this year (afaik) and no cap on top grades and that her teachers think she’s great ( they absolutely do)
It’s so tough on them. She will feel better once she’s back in school . Roll on the 8th and much sympathy to all wobbly dc and parents trying to hobby them along !

Please
or

Bee0808 · 28/02/2021 10:05

leia
Yes.
Ds is usually an A grade student but got a B/C in his last politics assessment... he struggles typing fast and our wi fi dropped out half way through so it wasn't really a fair assessment.
His teacher knows what he's capable of though so I'm not panicking yet.
He has been working towards an A* in one of his other subjects and is worried this awarding system will make that less likely, not more likely.
All the talk of grade inflation is over estimated imo.
No school/6th form worth its salt will do that.
A progress 8 score of 1.2 this year and then 0.7 next???
They would be crucified by ofsted!

Please
or

Bee0808 · 28/02/2021 10:11

Its the horror of geography coursework here today
God help me

Please
or

calculatorqueen · 28/02/2021 13:07

@Bee0808 Is it due in tomorrow? DS had his history coursework last week. I was so relieved when it was submitted on Thursday. I'm sure far more time was spent on it than was warranted for 20% of the A level. I think he was worried that now it could end up being considered for more than 20%.

There's lots of pressure on them for every piece of work / test. DSs mocks were cancelled after Christmas and no mention yet of them happening. His college does lots of continual tests and I'm hoping mocks don't happen in case he struggles and lowers his current mark.

Please
or

Bee0808 · 28/02/2021 13:14

Thankfully not! :)
He is pretty much done for history and that's got to be in in 2 weeks.
Geography has extended the deadline (I could write a lot about the geography provision or lack of but will forbear...) until end of march but ds doesn't have much more to do.
His last assessments are wc 12th April (we think)
No idea if he'll be done then...I'd assume so?
Once the curriculum has been taught and the last assessment done then?...
I'm hoping we might get some answers tomorrow

Please
or

Bee0808 · 28/02/2021 13:17

Yes, I agree that the coursework seems excessive for 20% of the mark...
Ds started his reading for the history nea last summer!
We are having a party when they are completed and handed in...😁🍰🎈

Please
or

SeasonFinale · 28/02/2021 13:20

Please don't expect answers tomorrow though. The schools will not be getting the information through as to what and how they are to assess until the end of this term so I suspect information will not be forthcoming from individual schools until Easter holidays or just before. I an sure they have a plan/scheme in mind but they will need to check it against the exam board advice.

Please
or

Bee0808 · 28/02/2021 13:33

Well...one can ask :)

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.