Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Medicine 2019 - Part 2

Monkey2001 · 24/02/2019 22:35

Oops, looks like none of noticed the old thread was full!

@HostessTrolley @Hoodiemum @4catsham @mamamedic @medicmom @mimiasovitch @Nightowlpossibly @ProfessorLayton1 @Tinkobell @Weaverspin @Itsthekissing @Sluj @Mumneedswine @Movingmountains

Apologies to any regulars I have missed

OP's posts:
Please
or

hoodiemum · 24/02/2019 23:09

Thanks, Monkey. Glad you understood what had happened!

Please
or

Tinkobell · 25/02/2019 07:06

DD has just 2 weeks of tabled lessons remaining, that's it. I'm breaking into a cold sweat thinking about it. Next few months will be tough ...feeling torn between that fight or flight impulse right now - flight is winning! 😕 Gulp!

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 25/02/2019 08:50

Goodness Tinkobell, that is an early stop. DS keeps going to 24th May - 2 of his Physics A level exams are during the last timetabled week.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Monkey2001 · 25/02/2019 17:53

Newcastle rejection today (but that was his worst interview). He is saying he can't face going through it all again next year at the moment and will go for chemistry or engineering instead. However, there is still the chance of an offer from Leeds. At least the uncertainty ends on Thursday!

He may feel less worn down by the horrible process of applying to medicine and more able to face it all again when the A levels are over.

OP's posts:
Please
or

HostessTrolley · 25/02/2019 18:03

Argh sorry to hear that monkey :-(

Please
or

4catsham · 25/02/2019 18:35

Monkey2001 thanks for the heads up about part 2 of this thread!Sorry to hear about Newcastle, keeping everything crossed for Leeds now! This is such a tough year and its hard to lose sight of the fact at the end if it all those A levels need to be done, in the midst of the epic application process .

Tinkobell,gosh thats an early finish but lots of time for revision plans I guess.We have until the middle of May. Currently having a Biology nightmare as one of Dds teachers has left and replacement doesnt seem to be getting things covered in class etc etc,Appreciate its hard to fill a fantastic teachers shoes..but OMG!

If it isnt one thing its another!!

Still awaiting news here....patiently ..ish!🤪

Please
or

Tinkobell · 25/02/2019 18:45

So sorry to hear @Monkey .....I know he doesn't want virtual mum hugs but sending them to you and him anyway. Do get the feedback if you can face it. You never know, Leeds might come good. We met many undergrads on open days and asked "so why did you choose here?" - response "well it was the only offer I got". You just need one.

Please
or

Tinkobell · 25/02/2019 18:47

4catsham ....what a bad time to bail on students. ☹️ I think DD plans to go into school and use the libary and lunch with mates...she works better with peer pressure and a joint goal each day.

Please
or

Nightowlpossibly · 25/02/2019 20:36

Monkey2001- So sorry about Newcastle, I know you were kind of expecting a rejection, but it is still tough on your DS.

This is a gruelling process, with so many highs and lows, his feelings are understandable. Maybe he will rally after A levels, and a summer break, and decide to give it another try. Or hopefully he won't need to because he will get that offer from leeds! I am keeping everything crossed for you both. Good luck.

Tinkobell- that is an early finish for your DD ! So is that officially finished school apart from exams? Scary! My dds school haven't set a date yet for finishing but the first exam is on 23rd may. These exams and required grades are starting to feel very real now!

Good luck to those still waiting to hear about offers. And anyone else still with an interview to attend.

Please
or

Weaverspin · 26/02/2019 13:58

Ah, here you all are!

Monkey2001 I'm sorry to hear about Newcastle. I hope Leeds comes though with a positive. Just so frustrating.

Please
or

Tinkobell · 26/02/2019 17:09

She got the finish date wrong....thank goodness! Lessons finish 2 weeks post Easter not half term 😬 Talk about not knowing your arse from your elbow - great attributes for a doctor!

Please
or

Starryskiesinthesky · 26/02/2019 17:30

Just heard that my son got an offer for Edinburgh. So pleased for him as he had his first interview in early December and has had to wait until now. Still hasnt heard from any of his others!

Please
or

HarryTheSteppenwolf · 26/02/2019 17:38

Talk about not knowing your arse from your elbow - great attributes for a doctor!

Makes pile surgery much less troublesome, but might be bad news for tennis-players.

Please
or

ItsTheKissing · 26/02/2019 17:39

Found you all! Congratulations to all offer holders..... still awaiting to hear from Bristol, Manchester and Brum...... I know people who have had offers and rejections for all 3 so trying not to get too disheartened. DSS says he is happy to have a gap year of no offers but I know in reality he will see it as a huge failure Sad. In fact, he talks about it less and less now. A gap year would actually do him good........

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 26/02/2019 17:56

Great news Starryskies, well done to your DS! Given that DS seems to be terrible at interviews, I am wondering whether he should have taken the chance on Edinburgh, but not quite having 8 A*s at GCSE made it a bit risky.

OP's posts:
Please
or

hoodiemum · 26/02/2019 18:55

Well done to Starry Junior. Edinburgh was always the dream uni in our household. Until GCSE results came in, anyway.
Oh, the waiting. I'd been good at being TSR-resistant, but now almost 4 weeks after the Bristol interview that was meant to provide some news after 3 weeks, I'm starting to obsess. Come on, Bristol!

Please
or

3catsandadog · 26/02/2019 19:43

To Monkey, Kissing and anyone else still waiting don't lose hope. I was you a year ago. My DS got his only offer after 3 rejections on 16 March.
Its quite common to get only one - sending lots of positive vibes!

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 26/02/2019 19:53

@3catsandadog - thanks, if only! Only 1 or 2 more days of suspense for us. Which one did your DS get?

OP's posts:
Please
or

3catsandadog · 26/02/2019 20:00

My DS is at Exeter which was his first interview back in December.

Please
or

Starryskiesinthesky · 26/02/2019 22:38

Thanks. I am still hoping he might get other offers so the same would be true for those who don’t have one yet - hopefully there will be an offer soon.

Please
or

CrunchingNumber · 27/02/2019 08:45

Congratulations Starry junior that's awesome news.

Please
or

dumbo1 · 27/02/2019 10:20

I've been reading this thread for some time. All your help and experience has been invaluable. My daughter applied to Newcastle and got a rejection pre interview as her ukcat was too low. She had an interview at Keele and is on hold (not sure what to make of that). She is waiting for Liverpool post interview. Last night she got a rejection from St. Andrews post interview, she was upset over that one of especially in the middle of her mocks.

The whole experience is quite stressful as parents and all we can do is support them.

Please
or

Monkey2001 · 27/02/2019 10:49

Oh dumbo1, I feel for you and DD, hope she is managing to stay positive.

I don't know what it means to be on hold for Keele, but if nobody else here can advise, if you or DD are on TSR, you could ask GANFYD, a GP mum who knows everything! You may know that last year Newcastle did a second round of interviews for people just below the initial cut-off, so if she was close, there may be another chance.

Hope Keele or Liverpool come good for your DD, but if not, those of us in the same situation can support each other through the next steps.

OP's posts:
Please
or

dumbo1 · 27/02/2019 11:05

Thanks Monkey good luck to your son too

I think the main thing now is just to focus on the a levels. Ive been in touch with keele and they say that there a number of applicants on hold who are around/near the cut off score. The last interviews are on the 12th and they will make decisions after that but before the 31st. She also said that they have rejected post interview too. So keeping everything crossed.

Please
or

Tinkobell · 27/02/2019 15:26

Thoughts to all posters and their DC’s sitting and waiting on offers, keeping it all crossed for everyone....this country so badly needs doctors, shame it has to be quite so hard.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.