Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Films

REALLY scary films

332 replies

StrattersDD · 23/01/2016 20:02

Anyone got any recommendation of good scary films? I haven't seen one that's actually scared me for a long time.

OP posts:
bookwormish · 04/03/2016 18:48

Return to Oz. Scared the crap out of me as a child. Had a quick scan of the thread & don't see Nosferatu mentioned here. Its a silent one and fantastic.

tutorwho · 07/03/2016 00:20

I would definitely recommend the original Rec film.. it scared me! lol.

echt · 16/03/2016 08:07

Last night DH and I watched Ju-on - the Japanese original of The Grudge.

Bugger me, it had some well scary moments.

ClaudiaApfelstrudel · 16/03/2016 09:24

I think the scariest film I've seen is probably 'the Shining' but there are lots Blair Witch was very scary, funnily enough I also thought the second one was scary too although not many others did

abigail12 · 16/03/2016 10:51

I thought Blair witch 2 was terrifying, had to sleep with the light on! I did see it in the pictures though and that always helps.

RuggerHug · 18/03/2016 15:40

Haven't RTFT but if no one has said it yet, Threads. Beyond terrifying and I love to be scared.

oliviaclottedcream · 18/03/2016 17:39

I didn't find Blair Witch even slightly scarey and I'm a real fraidy cat... The Exorcist is flipping disturbing still. Isn't it over 40 years old now?

PestilentialCat · 18/03/2016 18:56

I don't find gory horror films scary - it's Suspense wot does it for me Grin

The Birds
Don't Look Now
Woman in Black
Cape Fear - the original one

OhYouBadBadKitten · 19/03/2016 22:19

the new 10 cloverfield lane was pretty scary!

cbigs · 21/03/2016 15:20

the forest is shit. Don't bother Hmm

abigail12 · 21/03/2016 16:29

Downloaded a few to watch over next few days, When the lights went out and As above so below. Either any good? Watched Unconscious (wes Bentley) today, what a pile of crap!

cbigs · 21/03/2016 19:25

I thought as above so below was wank. But they get samey don't they. Descent type claustrophobic disorientated jump scare stuff with a very very ropey explanation usually. but dear god if I see another mocumentary style horror I will scream ironic really . Blair witch was ace but now it's been done ffs.
Don't think have seen when the lights went out.. Report back??

Abigail12 · 21/03/2016 20:53

Will do, cbigs. Quite fancied as above because I really enjoyed the descent- but it was a long time ago and I saw it in the pictures... I think most horrors, even crap ones, are quite scary at the pictures.

cbigs · 21/03/2016 21:05

Yes I saw woman in black at the cinema which is quite a standard horror really and Blair witch twice and it definitely adds something

HooseRice · 21/03/2016 21:08

I remember being haunted by the film Audrey Rose as a child. It is on Netflix right now and DD1 (11) and I watched it the other day. Not even remotely scary or haunting.

HooseRice · 21/03/2016 21:10

I like to watch "What Lies Beneath" now and again. Beautifully set and jumpy rather than out and out scary.

cbigs · 21/03/2016 21:13

Yeah I really enjoyed what lies beneath. Would watch it again anyway in the same vein for me as the hand that rocks the cradle somehow... Maybe a stronger narrative? Or acting?

FireandBrimstone · 21/03/2016 21:33

LOVE a good horror film, have quite a high scare-threshold. It's been mentioned already (just once I think) so popping on to make sure 'Sinister' doesn't get missed, it's definitely worth a watch. I enjoyed it a lot first time round, but I chanced on it on Sky subsequently, and really appreciated the second time around how haunting it is.
Also just watched 'Unfriended' recently - not the most horrific horror out there but a neat idea and absolutely gripping.
Oculus was also really good.
Now watching this thread... thanks for the other suggestions, my Netflix list is getting a good boost here!

FireandBrimstone · 21/03/2016 21:38

Bahaha, just read this thread back and realised lots of votes for Sinister already. Soz.

cbigs · 21/03/2016 21:40

Aw fire I thought oculus was plop.. Blushloved the idea of unfriended but wished they'd made it a thriller not supernatural if that makes sense?

FireandBrimstone · 21/03/2016 21:52

Yeah cbigs I normally hate a supernatural slant, such a cop out. DH agrees with you on Oculus. Think sometimes horrors are v dependent on the mood you're in when watching - maybe I was just more susceptible for Oculus and Unfriended!

Abigail12 · 21/03/2016 22:11

I've actually not seen Sinister, I had it downloaded for ages but I wussed out didn't get a chance to watch it. Wish my DH liked horrors too...

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Abigail12 · 21/03/2016 22:15

Really don't get what people like about What lies beneath- I saw that in the cinema but still thought it pants. I was pretty miffed though that the trailer gave away the ending though..

Abigail12 · 21/03/2016 22:16

Might give oculus a try.

HelenF35 · 21/03/2016 22:29

Glad others have mentioned Rosemary's baby. Brilliant, proper creepy, sinister and chilling. Not in your face scary but really disturbing. Great book by Ira Levin and fantastic film with some amazing performances. Wish some of the other film adaptations of his books were half as good.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.