Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Films

REALLY scary films

332 replies

StrattersDD · 23/01/2016 20:02

Anyone got any recommendation of good scary films? I haven't seen one that's actually scared me for a long time.

OP posts:
DixieNormas · 30/01/2016 20:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DixieNormas · 30/01/2016 20:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KeepitDown · 30/01/2016 22:54

"Antichrist", before it goes completely beyond-the-pale-crazy toward the end.

Despite the title, it has absolutely nothing to do with the antichrist, and is about a woman spiralling into depression/madness (after the death of their young child) while being "treated" by her ineffective husband in the middle of the woods instead of being taken to a psychiatrist.

I had post-natal depression/psychosis after my firstborn, and the movie captures some of that experience perfectly. Not a pleasant experience though! Disturbing and plays on your mind for a long time.

WaitrosePigeon · 31/01/2016 08:15

If you can bear it, The Seasoning House will damage you forever.

pocketsaviour · 31/01/2016 09:05

I watched It Follows last night. I liked the idea and there were good scares, and I thought all the young actors were very good. However, the point that this thing started following you because you had unprotected sex with someone just turned it into a giant PSA. I was expecting to see "Sponsored by Durex" on the end credits Grin

SecretLocker · 12/02/2016 17:51

Returning to the thread to report that I bought and watched 'Martyrs' after it was mentioned by a few posters.
OH MY GOD!!! Horrible, brutal, unwatchable in places. I made it to the bitter end and threw it in the bin as I didn't want it in my house.

lizzydrippingsghost · 12/02/2016 19:01

as anyone seen the house on pine street, supposed to be really scary

heslimedme · 12/02/2016 23:16

Mark Kermode was asked this on his film show recently. He said that the 'tent walk' scene from a field in England really creeped him out. I googled it on you tube and got 4 seconds in to the clip before having to turn it off, I was so freaked out I couldn't even look at my phone and just stabbed at buttons till it went away. It is the creepiest, weirdest thing I've ever seen and i would like to unsee it. I imagine the rest of the film is pretty unsettling if that little bit is anything to go by.

suzannecaravaggio · 13/02/2016 01:04

I just watched the tent walk clip, I dont understand Heslime
I mean it didnt really work for me in terms of creepyness

I might give the film a go

heslimedme · 13/02/2016 09:25

Sorry Suzanne, here's a synopsis review with no spoilers.

www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/10157059/A-Field-in-England-review.html

Basically I think he's been in the tent with the devil doing unspeakable things. There's the screaming then him emerging with the maniacal grin on his face. It disturbed me but then I was home alone!

suzannecaravaggio · 13/02/2016 10:37

Oh right, I'm thinking that you read the synoptics first and so the clip was creepy because you had some context....so it wasnt just a man wandering out of a tent with a weird look on his face😉
Thanks for the link

suzannecaravaggio · 13/02/2016 23:53

just watched 'a field in England'
I thought it was good
weird yes but freaked out I am not remotely

dodgeballqueen · 27/02/2016 21:12

Resurrecting this just to say that Event Horizon has just started on movie mix. They're in stasis on their way to somewhere. Haven't seen before so glad to catch it for free!

suzannecaravaggio · 27/02/2016 23:06

oooh errShock

CherryDrop24 · 28/02/2016 00:21

Another vote for the strangers..... Its a more realistic scary then ghosts and demons

gingerboy1912 · 28/02/2016 00:27

Insidious
The conjuring
28 weeks later

Thought event horizon was crap.

SandyMumsnet · 02/03/2016 12:36

Hi eveyone,

We're just sweeping up this great thread into Films so it doesn't disappear. OP, please do get in touch if this is a problem Flowers

summersweetpeas · 02/03/2016 13:28

I am such a wimp when it comes to scary films. I've not really watched one since I was in my early twenties, but weirdly I fancy being massively distracted from life, so I'm going to give one of these a go.

ChameleonCircuit · 04/03/2016 08:14

It's ancient, but "When a Stranger Calls" creeped me out.

HildegardVonBrixham · 04/03/2016 08:56

The original Vanishing. Horrendous nightmare set in ordinary places and with ordinary people. Stuff of nightmares.
Also, classic b and w film Day for Night. Truly scary.

angielou123 · 04/03/2016 09:06

Crowsnest is one that scared me and I love scary films. Another good one is Creep.

abigail12 · 04/03/2016 10:01

Redannie118, you've actually mentioned a film I've never heard of! Silent house...I've looked it up but can only see links to the remake. I'll keep looking, I'm excited. My personal favourite is The Haunting - the old black and white one NOT the totally guff remake. No blood, guts or monsters but just plain eerie. Love it!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

abigail12 · 04/03/2016 10:08

I loved the babadook but found it sad rather than horror film scary. It's real life scary. My brother thought it was terrible until I explained it to him, he immediately watched it again with fresh eyes and he loved it.

juliemparker · 04/03/2016 16:52

Babadook, very scary and really disturbing as so close to home. Watched it with my partner who's a horror film buff and he felt the same. Stayed with us for days.

newlabelwriter · 04/03/2016 16:58

Tale of two sisters, Korean and horribly frightening. Blair Witch Project also scared the B'jeezus out of me.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.