Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

What does everyone think about the banning of the unvaxxed in Germany?

Katieandthekids · 02/12/2021 21:33

I'm just interested in opinions. I personally believe that no one should ever force anyone to put something in their body.

Just as a side: I had both vaccines during my pregnancy and still not 100% sure I've done the right thing but in balance and after lots of my research believe 99% that it is fine. Totally respect the reasons people are nervous about it though.

OP's posts:
Please
or

MrsSkylerWhite · 02/12/2021 22:19

Would you feel the same way were it malaria?

Vaccines are a gift.

Please
or

userperuser · 02/12/2021 22:21

What a shock a lot of you are in for when covid is yesterday’s news and it something that actually affects you. Too late.

Please
or

XenoBitch · 02/12/2021 22:22

@Yika

I think it’s fine, mandatory vaccination isn’t a new thing, it’s a public health measure not some dystopian totalitarian nightmare.

Are you referencing the smallpox vax? It was for babies only. It was not mandated for adults.
Please
or

Battenburg77 · 02/12/2021 22:23

twitter.com/richimedhurst/status/1460724538480775169?s=20

Being stopped in the street for your green pass while you're minding your own business shopping. Absolutely dystopian.

Please
or

headintheproverbial · 02/12/2021 22:26

I'm not in the least concerned about it and would welcome it here.

Please
or

Mantlemoose · 02/12/2021 22:27

Terrifying. I am glad I being CEV have less than 20 years left on this planet because this is just the start. All you supporting this remember you did when you need your papers to leave your home. Not a conspiracy theorist but very very scared of the clearly visible route this is leading to.

Please
or

SaltedCaramelHC · 02/12/2021 22:30

@Lostinacloud

I will think something very strange is going on *@tilder*. It wasn’t that long ago that we went through a winter season where barely anyone was vaccinated and yet the hospitals did manage to cope. Over 75% of all eligible people are now vaccinated and suddenly the hospitals won’t be able to cope with the last few unvaccinated? That’s not including some of the unvaccinated who are young healthy adults or teens or those who’ve now had covid and have natural immunity.

Additionally I will be angry that the government appears to have found a money tree for years of expensive vaccines for all but isn’t spending any of it on the NHS.

hospitals haven't coped. My local one had people dying in ambulances, and huge queues into the car park in freezing weather.

to the extent they have survived, it has partly been because everything else has been cancelled. That's not coping, and it can't last indefinitely.

and this new wave could mean that lots more people end up in hospital if it's more transmissible, or more serious, or more people get it twice, etc. So anything that might help prevent that is good, and the more people who get vaccinated, the better for everyone. Even if you don't think that you are going to get covid, you might get something else, and want a hospital bed to be available.
Please
or

Lostinacloud · 02/12/2021 22:31

Those who see nothing wrong with it, why does everyone of all age groups need a vaccine when the overwhelming number of people suffering severe disease are over 65? And why does someone who’s made antibodies against Covid through natural infection instead of through vaccination need a vaccine?
The fact most countries want all over 5’s to have the vaccine plus regular boosters seems to go against all previous practice and all generally understood science. Something feels wrong. Add to that people being treated as second class citizens no matter their age or health or likelihood of ending up in icu and this is why so many find this sort of news quite chilling.

Please
or

ollyollyoxenfree · 02/12/2021 22:31

On these threads it always strikes me as wildly ironic that if anti-vaccine disinformation groups hadn't been so sucessful in coercing people into not being vaccinated, these kind of mandates (specifically targeted to increase rates) wouldn't be necessary.

Please
or

tilder · 02/12/2021 22:32

@userperuser

What a shock a lot of you are in for when covid is yesterday’s news and it something that actually affects you. Too late.

It will affect me if I need an ITU bed and there aren't any. If I need an operation but there aren't the beds (see ITU). I need to come to hospital but there are insufficient staff (covid) or beds (covid/care). I need an ambulance but they're all queuing to discharge patients but can't because (see previous).

Vaccination rates in Germany are different to here. They are in a precarious position. Plus the slight unknown of Omnicom.

It's not great whichever way you look at it. I just wish more people would have the the fucking vaccine.
Please
or

SaltedCaramelHC · 02/12/2021 22:32

it's not a 'last few' unvaccinated, either. 10% of 66 million is still a hell of a lot of people, and a small proportion of those getting very ill could overwhelm hospitals. And it wont' just be the unvaccinated getting ill; some vaccinated will too. But the more who get it, the better the chances of reduced transmission generally. It won't stop it, but it will lower it.

I always wonder why all you anti-vaxxers keep going on and on about it to other people - surely the best strategy from your own point of view is to convince everyone else that they SHOULD get vaccinated, as that is what gives you the best chance - less likely to get it if it's barely going around, but not having to have the vaccine yourself. the ultimate in selfish survival tactics, really.

Please
or

Viviennemary · 02/12/2021 22:32

Good. If they dont want to be vaccinated then they can live under permanent self isolation at home. Problem solved.

Please
or

Lostinacloud · 02/12/2021 22:33

Isn’t that the case every winter though @SaltedCaramelHC? Sad but true.

Please
or

userperuser · 02/12/2021 22:35

tilder

Once the government have this kind of control they can turn it on anything.

Everyone vaccinated, still cases? Hmm let’s turn on those who have deliberately put themselves at risk, those who are unemployed etc, I don’t know know why this is so hard to see.

Please
or

Postdatedpandemic · 02/12/2021 22:36

Have you read this www.gov.uk/government/publications/phe-monitoring-of-the-effectiveness-of-covid-19-vaccination @Lostinacloud ?

7,151,000 infections prevented and 27,200 deaths prevented by the vaccine program. The unvaccinated have gladly volunteered to be the control group.

Please
or

tilder · 02/12/2021 22:36

And for the record. Yes, if you are young, the risk of serious illness is small. A small %. However the number of people who are young is very big. A small % of a very big number is quite a lot of people. We don't have ITU beds for quite a lot of people.

So yes. The young who are less likely to be seriously ill should also be vaccinated. Otherwise the hospitals will run out of room.

Please
or

Lunaduckdrop · 02/12/2021 22:39

It seems morally wrong but I think you have to see it as a damage limitation strategy. They are running out of ICU beds so have to do something to have less people admitted to hospital. As the unvaccinated comprise 80% or more of Covid admissions, curtailing their mixing is just a move to address the problem. It's a shame it has come to this but what would you do?

Please
or

tilder · 02/12/2021 22:39

@userperuser

tilder

Everyone vaccinated, still cases? Hmm let’s turn on those who have deliberately put themselves at risk, those who are unemployed etc, I don’t know know why this is so hard to see.

Maybe because I'm not that paranoid? Maybe because I believe in democracy? Maybe because this is a crisis and needs unusual things?

I agree its disturbing. Equally I was very disturbed by the images that have come out of countries where healthcare was overwhelmed. Italy. The US. Brazil. Pretty horrendous.
Please
or

XenoBitch · 02/12/2021 22:41

@Viviennemary

Good. If they dont want to be vaccinated then they can live under permanent self isolation at home. Problem solved.

Should apply to the CEV who cant get vaccinated too.
Please
or

userperuser · 02/12/2021 22:41

Didn’t realise so many people had zero faith in these vaccines to protect them. Madness you have actually taken one of you think that way.

Please
or

blameless · 02/12/2021 22:41

I have taken every vaccination as soon as offered and am triple-jabbed, I despise anti-vaxxers, but have sympathy for the vaccine hesitant.

Segregating parts of the population that you disagree with and limiting their freedom of movement has been done before in Germany in living memory - whether you agree with the decision or not, it will be seized upon as the thin end of a wedge. If the new coalition feel that they have a mandate for authoritarian rule, it may not end well.

Please
or

supermoonrising · 02/12/2021 22:43

If the weight of the science still shows that unvaccinated people catch and spread Covid more easily and hospitals can't cope then it isnt necessarily an unreasonable step to ban unvaccinated from certain public events (for a duration).

The line should be drawn at mandating vaccination through fines/imprisonment. No-one should be criminalised for objecting to something being put in their body, certainly not a drug. Austria has overstepped for sure.

Please
or

cherin · 02/12/2021 22:44

@userperuser

tilder

This sound so much as a conspiracy theory, you’ve got no idea how much you sound like a stereotype.
This government in the U.K. today looks to me as keen to have anything BUT control. So they can blame anyone else.
That worries me much more than your theory, personally
Please
or

Lostinacloud · 02/12/2021 22:44

I’ve been polite up to know but that is utter bollocks @SaltedCaramelHC.
Considering almost 12 million of the 66 million population are under 16 that’s not really that many unvaccinated adults.
In addition, why can’t you “antivax labellers” ever understand that Covid is a mild illness for many demographics? Therefore not every person who chooses not to be vaccinated or have another booster vaccine is going to end up in icu.

Please
or

Lorriestakingppe · 02/12/2021 22:44

ITS NOT ABOUT PROTECTING OTHER PEOPLE, ITS ABOUT KEEPING THE UNVACCINATED OUT OF HOSPITAL BECAUSE THE HOSPITALS CANT COPE.

Fuck me it’s not difficult, and they wonder why anti vaxxers are called thick.

This 100 times over....^^^

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.