Police fined two people for travelling from London to Durham on 8 April
Vikram Dodd Vikram Dodd
Durham police today said they fined two people for travelling hundreds of miles from London to their area during the coronavirus lockdown.
The news comes as a fresh statement from Durham police is expected as soon as today, following their examination of claims of sightings of Dominic Cummings in the Durham area, and whether lockdown rules had been broken.
A spokesperson for Durham police confirmed the fines were issued on 8 April against two people from different households who travelled together from London to Peterlee, in County Durham. That trip is about 260 miles and came just over a week after the prime minister’s key aide decided to drive with his wife and child from his London home to his parents’ farm, fearing being struck down by coronavirus.
The trip by Cummings has led to no action by police, and its revelation on Friday by the Guardian and Daily Mirror led to calls for Cummings’ resignation, but he has maintained his actions were lawful and not in breach of the lockdown.
Cummings also admitted to a trip on 12 April to a beauty spot, Barnard Castle, with his wife and child. He said on Monday he had been testing his eyesight and fitness to drive after being struck down by the virus.
Durham police say since the original news stories, they have received further claims and complaints from the public and are examining that information.
Cummings said he travelled to ensure childcare in case he and his wife were struck down by the virus, and claims an exemption to the stay at home order issued by his boss, the prime minister, allowed him to make the trip. Many disagree and have called for his resignation. The new statement from Durham police is eagerly awaited.