My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Covid

Over 70s to self isolate

962 replies

Dodie66 · 14/03/2020 21:36

Over 70s are going to be told to self isolate even if they don’t have the virus and this will be coming in 5-20 days and last 4 months
www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-coronavirus-over-70s-told-21694397?fbclid=IwAR2k9MqPf7vOzNcnqfVroLXVp0sQjYRmihHKBiL9pvdhSi5780WpYkgFNnI

OP posts:
PerkingFaintly · 14/03/2020 23:24

And yes, I agree it will be no fun at all , but the alternatives are looking worse.

BTW, for anyone thinking "Oh but you don't understand how hard it will be," this is already my life. Not for a mere four months, but for years.

Nanny0gg · 14/03/2020 23:25

I've had no contact whatsoever with anyone who might possibly have the virus.

How on earth can you possibly know that now?

Cinammoncake · 14/03/2020 23:25

Many people in London have no links to their neighbours, let alone older people.

I don't think that's specifically a London thing though, it's more of a general countrywide problem unfortunately. My experience of London is that it's more friendly and community minded than when I lived in suburbia.

wheresmymojo · 14/03/2020 23:26

@walkingtheway

@wheresmymojo it's very easy to quote facts when you're detached from a situation. But when you glibly talk about stats for over 70s for me you're talking about the man that I love with every fibre of my being. My husband, my soulmate

I'm not detached from the situation, several people I love very much are over 70 and I'm doing everything I can to keep them safe which means they are isolating themselves in the house.

What I don't understand is how you can profess to love him and then say 'to hell with this, we're not going to isolate'

MotherOfDragonite · 14/03/2020 23:27

This is completely unworkable, as anyone with elderly parents knows.

If elderly people are already infirm, they are already in care homes (breeding grounds for coronavirus spread by staff the first deaths in the US were among care home residents). They are not safe, because they are not in fact isolated there is a constant influx of carers, most of whom are badly paid and temporary.

If elderly people are at home, then they generally also need some level of support. They will need groceries. They may need care. They may need company. They are highly likely to need medical care or check ups.

And finally, vulnerability is not about age alone. How about those of working age who are not being protected in any way? How about the simply 'unlucky' -- the 35 year old anaesthetist who died in Italy? The many people in their 50s and 60s who will die? What is the government doing to protect society as a whole?

MotherOfDragonite · 14/03/2020 23:28

My mum is self-isolating already, so I do think it is a good idea in theory, but I'm also conscious of the reality -- it won't work for most.

How about those who live with their children and grandchildren?

ViciousJackdaw · 14/03/2020 23:28

Most of us on this thread will lose someone we love

Oh for fucks sake...SOME people MIGHT. Scaremongering does nobody any good. Let's just be sensible and cautious.

PerspicaciaTick · 14/03/2020 23:29

I think this will lead to a huge peak in suicides.

MaxNormal · 14/03/2020 23:29

I'm not sure what people actually want?
Any measures to contain this are going to be painful, disruptive and financially difficult.
Yet I've seen multiple complaints about the government not doing enough.
Do people mean they should do something just not something that effects them personally?
There are no good options here.

wheresmymojo · 14/03/2020 23:29

The fact of the matter is that the whole of the population cannot be protected from this virus.

Elderly people who have to have carers in will be at a higher risk and many of them will die.

Neither BoJo nor any other PM can stop that now.

Again, I'm not saying this to be mean. I'm having to prepare myself that my Gran will die.

Pluckedpencil · 14/03/2020 23:30

Yes, I think @Fredafrogspawn has hit the nail on the head.

This isn't a prevention policy for the elderly, it's not protection. It's a threat, a warning shot: go into a bunker because you will receive no healthcare from the state, there will be no respirator for you and it's your fault if you get it by not taking the correct precautions.

It also massively underestimates how big this virus can get. We haven't seen what it does yet when a whole population goes unchecked. It devastated China despite a draconian lockdown.

WHO chief:
Stigma, to be honest, is more dangerous than the virus itself. Let’s really underline that. Stigma is the most dangerous enemy,”

Very very relevant with this policy. Dangerous to think you're ok because you are not in the high risk group.

Dinosauratemydaffodils · 14/03/2020 23:30

I don't understand what people are missing.

Lots and lots of people are going to die. Most of us on this thread will lose someone we love.

Yes, it may be unworkable. Your loved one probably won't survive. I don't know how to make that any clearer. You need to start preparing yourself for it.

People die all the time. In the past two years I've lost my dad and both my grandmothers. At some point in the fairly near future we'll probably lose my mum and my inlaws plus assorted aunts & uncles. I've lost friends (car accidents, drowning, cancer etc). The only certainty in my own life is that it will end at some point, maybe tomorrow, maybe a few years down the line, maybe I'll even last to 98 like my Grandmother did.

Not all of us have the same attitude towards death. I think the British attitude in general is fairly unhealthy when it comes to it and perhaps that needs to change as well.

That however doesn't change my feelings that 4 months isolation is unworkable for a number of reasons. It's not the mechanics of it, food etc is easy to organise assuming the country hasn't run out...it's the human contact side especially for those who are widowed/alone.

MotherOfDragonite · 14/03/2020 23:33

@Ginnymweasley "People complaining the govt are not doing enough but when it gets suggested that they want to do something. "

The thing is, the government isn't suggesting that THEY do anything. They are suggesting that people over 70 should do something. Which, frankly, if people over 70 want to be doing, they can easily be doing on their own.

What is the GOVERNMENT going to do here? Because I see nothing yet beyond a bit of smug posturing about hand washing (which I totally agree is important, but also know is nowhere near enough).

The laughable advice the government gave to over 70s two days ago: "don't go on cruises". Most over-70s with knowledge of what was going on are already isolating and found that "advice" insulting and patronising. Why didn't they even bother to advise vulnerable people to take some social distancing measures then?

They are making it up as they go along!

wheresmymojo · 14/03/2020 23:33

Oh for fucks sake...SOME people MIGHT. Scaremongering does nobody any good. Let's just be sensible and cautious.

Really...some might?

How obvious do things have to be for you to get the clue that this is what is going to happen?

Do you think countries close their borders, lockdown their entire populations and spend billions as well as risk the global economy which is crashing around our ears because a few people might lose someone?

The mortality rates for over 70s are extremely high. Most people will lose someone if they have loved ones over 70 (which is what this thread is about).

walkingtheway · 14/03/2020 23:33

@wheresmymojo I have not said to hell with this, we're not going to self isolate.

This is difficult for us all.

But many people on Mumsnet need to realise that life doesn't end at 70. People may be be older and more at risk, but they are still people.

Alsohuman · 14/03/2020 23:34

Do the 'rebellious' over 70s described in this thread think that they ought to be allowed to come and go as they please whilst everyone else should isolate themselves in order to protect the elderly
or are these rebels refusing to even acknowledge the need for self isolating/measures in general?

That assumes we want to be protected. I don’t. I’d rather die from corona virus than dementia. I’m happy to take my chances. We’re the generation that rebelled in the 60s and 70s, we’re not just going to roll over now, inconvenient as that might be.

PerkingFaintly · 14/03/2020 23:34

it's the human contact side especially for those who are widowed/alone.

So, make sure you're phoning people then. They might prefer you to be there in person, but a phone call is better than nothing.

AmICrazyorWhat2 · 14/03/2020 23:35

If the over 70's are confined to their homes, I think the govt. should definitely organise a 'Meals on Wheels" type service for everyone who needs it.

Dowser · 14/03/2020 23:35

I’ve just had a solid osteopathic workout from my 73 year old Russian osteopath.
He’s as strong as an ox and twice as fit.
He’d be apolypticwith rage at the thought of being cooped for 4 months.
He works 6 days in a week in a very physical profession.

I think it’s rather cheeky.
Does that mean Stanley Johnson has to stay indoors..I doubt it

MyDcAreMarvel · 14/03/2020 23:36

@Alsohuman That assumes we want to be protected. I don’t. I’d rather die from corona virus than dementia enough to give up that ICU bed?

AngelicaKauffman · 14/03/2020 23:37

On every other thread people are going mental saying we should be on full lockdown, the government isn't doing enough, we should follow Wuhan's example where people barely left their homes!

Then when there's a suggestion that those at risk do jut that, everyone says "oh but my parents have social things, they can't possible self-isolate"

Errr.. the full lockdown you were all demanding would have included your 70+ parents too you know?

Ginnymweasley · 14/03/2020 23:38

Everyone is making it up as they go along cause nobody actually knows what will work tbf.
What do you want the government to do exactly? I cant imagine if this actually does get suggested that it will be the only thing they do.
My dh works in an industry where a lot of his customers are elderly, he has seen a slight decrease in people coming in but not as much as you would expect, and even though they have made hand gel available at every desk etc he says he has not had one single customer use it.
I just don't understand what people want to happen? I'm not saying I in anyway agree with what the government has done so far but I just don't know what most people seem to want to happen.

Pluckedpencil · 14/03/2020 23:38

Can I also remind you this man convinced a huge swathe of people to leave Europe at massive cost that they now regret.

This coronavirus policy is not a regret you want to have. There is a lot the uk can still do. There are still lots of people who don't have it who you could save at a certain economic cost to very rich people. The bottom dropping out of the economy will not change your daily life that much if you are a normal person. Your life changes very drastically when your parents die. The policy of the conservatives is about looking after the people in govt. They don't give a shit if your parents die. In fact, your retired parents dying is a help.

The world health org have given him and the whole world a very clear strategy. He is literally the only leader in the world ignoring it. He is yet again a dangerous maverick.

DoubleAction · 14/03/2020 23:38

"They are making it up as they go along!"

What else are they supposed to do, Google the instruction manual?

wheresmymojo · 14/03/2020 23:38

@walkingtheway

Actually I really don't think life ends at 70, my MIL has just turned 70 and I don't think of her as being old at all. Ditto my FIL who is 78.

Hence why I'm so keen that they isolate because they have so much to live for. I don't want to lose them this early.

If the tables were turned I'd be self-isolating already (and in fact am actually staying in most of the time now because I don't want pneumonia and I'm concerned that I'm not very healthy and could get a bad case).

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.