My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Middle name for Hero

238 replies

BoldandBright · 15/02/2023 12:40

Expecting a baby girl and we’ve decided on first name Hero. Our other children have unusual but not unheard of names with more traditional middle names but struggling to find a name that flows nicely with Hero. Our first mn pick was Emilia but gone off it a little now, any suggestions?
Our last name is rare but not ‘weird’ or able to be turned into a joke, and begins with an S.
thanks 😊

OP posts:
PrimarilyParented · 15/02/2023 20:20

StarbucksSmarterSister · 15/02/2023 14:25

OP, it's a lovely name.

This thread makes it obvious schools need to teach more Shakespeare and the classics though. 😂

Well actually we do teach Much Ado About Nothing, but as Hero is a character who barely speaks or has an opinion around men and then marries a man who publicly defames her at the altar, it’s not really a name which Shakespeare has strengthened the love of. In fact her being called Hero is pretty ironic in the context of the play as she is meek and subservient throughout.

Orphlids · 15/02/2023 20:45

Hero is a beautiful and very cool name. Love your choice, OP. Sorry you’ve had to encounter so many comments on here from people who have been so enthusiastic in displaying their ignorance by saying it’s a boy’s name. I hope they haven’t put you off.

Hero Delphine
Hero Celeste
Hero Eliza
Hero Quinn

midsomermurderess · 15/02/2023 21:26

heldinadream · 15/02/2023 12:42

Hero is bad enough but Hero for a girl is rubbish.

Oh, mate. Yet another silly Mumsnetter proudly displaying her ignorance.

MyCatIsAnnoyinglyCute · 15/02/2023 21:37

I don’t think Rose or Rosalie works at all, as it’s the same sound repeated. Ro Ro.

Greenfairydust · 15/02/2023 22:00

Hero is a dreadful name for any child, boy or girl.

You are just setting them up for endless ''jokes'' being made about their name by other kids then colleagues.

I just wish parents would think first before saddling their kids with this type of names just because they think they must pick something with a greek or latin root just because it is the middle-class thing to do...

MegaManic · 15/02/2023 22:04

It isn't a name I would personally choose but it's definitely a girls name and it's really not out there as some people are suggesting!

Hero Ellen
Hero Marie
Hero Rose

MegaManic · 15/02/2023 22:06

One more - Hero Grace

Graciehere · 15/02/2023 22:17

Is this a joke?

Luredbyapomegranate · 15/02/2023 23:48

heldinadream · 15/02/2023 12:42

Hero is bad enough but Hero for a girl is rubbish.

It’s a girl’s name. Has been for centuries. Brush up on your Shakespeare / Start quoting him now.

Speaking of Shakespeare, weirdly, I think all these work well OP

Hero Rosalind
Hero Juliet
Hero Katharine
Hero Imogen

or something like

Hero Francesca
Hero Rosamund
Hero Matilda
Hero Sabrina
Hero Marguerite

You want something feminine, but also quite strong - anything too light will jar, and something that is interesting enough to stand up to it, but not too unusual as Hero is already doing that job.

marblemad · 16/02/2023 00:36

Hero Anais
Hero Avril
Hero Dove
Hero Maeve
Hero Esther
Hero Faye
Hero Jade
Hero Luna
Hero Dae
Hero Lex
Hero Aspen

Ziggyzagg · 16/02/2023 00:38

Why in earth would you do that to your child?! Hero? I mean seriously?

CallieQ · 16/02/2023 00:40

Suggest you change the first name choice

Fraaahnces · 16/02/2023 03:05

Hero Queenie
Hero Magdaléne
Hero Claire
Hero Lena
Hero Greta
Hero Juliette
Hero Titania
Hero Therésa
Hero Celeste

HeroIsAGirlsName · 16/02/2023 05:36

I just asked my own Hero, who is now a teenager, and she is utterly baffled by this thread.

No, nobody has ever teased her. No, nobody sings the song. Yes, she's pleased it's her name. Yes, she is happy with her name. No, she doesn't think she will ever use her middle name.

She's also not come across much in person rudeness about it. I once had a checkout operator say something rude, but that's it.

Mamalamadrama · 16/02/2023 06:41

Louisa4987 · 15/02/2023 12:59

There's not much that sounds right with Hero to be honest (because it's hideous especially for a girl) but I'd focus on giving her a nice middle name if you're that set on such an awful first name so she can go by her middle name as soon as she's old enough.

This sorry OP

BellePeppa · 16/02/2023 07:02

HeroIsAGirlsName · 16/02/2023 05:36

I just asked my own Hero, who is now a teenager, and she is utterly baffled by this thread.

No, nobody has ever teased her. No, nobody sings the song. Yes, she's pleased it's her name. Yes, she is happy with her name. No, she doesn't think she will ever use her middle name.

She's also not come across much in person rudeness about it. I once had a checkout operator say something rude, but that's it.

We also have a Hero in the family and there’s never been anything negative.

AGoldenNarwhal · 16/02/2023 08:41

Hero is not my cup of tea, but neither is Artemis (which gets a lot of MN love), Clementine, Agatha, Mabel, Ella-May, Wren, Luna and Aurora, which all seem very popular presently. I'm not sure Hero is really 'worse' than any of these... it's a question of personal taste.

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 16/02/2023 08:50

Hero is a fantastic name. I would choose a middle name beginning with a consonant and with at least three syllables.

Hero Juliet (if you want to lean in to the Shakespeare theme)
Hero Beatrice (likewise)
Hero Natasha
Hero Margaret
Hero Penelope

Samzzz · 16/02/2023 08:50

I like Hero but for a boy. I've recently come across Halo and love this for a girl?
Middle name I would go with a classic long name. Elizabeth, Felicity, Victoria, Charlotte, Catherine, Juliet.

fairypeasant · 16/02/2023 09:58

Hero is a classic girl's name. Calling a boy Hero would be like calling a boy Sue.

Goingcrazyimsure · 16/02/2023 10:18

I'm a teacher and have heard kids being bullied with racist, sexist, homophobic slurs and bullied through attacks on the way they look or their clothes or their parents or their parents' car. The list is endless. But I have never once heard anyone bullied because of their name!

Bullies pick victims because that person is isolated in some way or because they will react in a certain way. They will then find a easy target in that person and use that. Kids are not bullied because of their qualities - their qualities are used to bully them.

There is a serious lack of understanding of bullying on this thread! If a bully wants to pick on someone they will find a way! We shouldn't be encouraging people to conform to avoid bullying - we should be helping children NOT to be the bully!

StopGo · 16/02/2023 10:27

Stay with the Classical Greek vibe, Hero Alexandra (or Alexandria)

HeroIsAGirlsName · 16/02/2023 10:31

I'm a teacher and have heard kids being bullied with racist, sexist, homophobic slurs and bullied through attacks on the way they look or their clothes or their parents or their parents' car. The list is endless. But I have never once heard anyone bullied because of their name!

Bullies pick victims because that person is isolated in some way or because they will react in a certain way. They will then find a easy target in that person and use that. Kids are not bullied because of their qualities - their qualities are used to bully them.

There is a serious lack of understanding of bullying on this thread! If a bully wants to pick on someone they will find a way! We shouldn't be encouraging people to conform to avoid bullying - we should be helping children NOT to be the bully!

Thank you for saying this!

They are exactly my thoughts.

Judgyjudgy · 16/02/2023 10:39

Not to be mean ... but ... naming children names like these are very risky. What if she grows up to be the opposite of this, I feel you are setting your poor child up

ZoyaTheDestroyer · 16/02/2023 10:39

Well said. I am also a teacher and my experience is exactly the same as yours. I have mentioned this on this board before but I once taught a Vietnamese boy called Phuc in a multicultural London school and no-one turned a hair.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.