Threads

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Need help find the right name for your newborn? Try our baby name generator.

Thoughts on Lupin for a boy?

MaggieMama · 14/05/2022 09:56

My husband and I have loved this name since conceiving our first son. We really love flower names for boys, Lupin is edgy and unique it also has the more masculine meaning of 'pertaining to the wolf'. Could be shortened to Lu or Louie. We chickened out of using it last time because we got a few negative comments and thought it was a bit TOO unusual but on the other hand it could be paired with a very ordinary middle name that he could use if he preferred when older. I found a post on here from a few years ago with horrendously negative feedback so I'm not expecting much here but I thought I'd put it out there again anyway to test the waters! So what d'ya reckon? Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

StillWeRise · 14/05/2022 09:58

I think he is the son in Diary of a Nobody which is a very funny book but it's not an association I'd want with my son

Please
or

AdamRyan · 14/05/2022 09:59

I'd think you were harry Potter fans
I like it though

Please
or

Costacoffeeplease · 14/05/2022 10:00

You are joking?

Please
or

A580Hojas · 14/05/2022 10:01

No.

Please
or

godmum56 · 14/05/2022 10:01

Really not.

Please
or

DefiniteTortoise · 14/05/2022 10:01

Potter People

Please
or

Anonnnnnnm · 14/05/2022 10:02

I don't want to come across rude but it sounds like an illness? I don't think it's a good idea personally. It just doesn't even really feel like a name.

Please
or

Eranzer · 14/05/2022 10:02

I absolutely love it!!!! I wouldn't have the balls to use it though. Obviously I immediately think of Remus Lupin.

Please
or

DinosaurOfFire · 14/05/2022 10:02

I like it, I would assume you were Harry Potter fans rather than anything to do with plants.

Please
or

toastofthetown · 14/05/2022 10:03

I’d think you are massive and slightly cringy Harry Potter fans. Yes the flowers are lovely, but I think the Harry Potter connection is still way too strong. Lupin is also a common allergen which is off putting to me as well.

Please
or
Please
or

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 14/05/2022 10:04

The vast majority of people will connect it with the garden flower, not with any scary animal that ate Little Red Riding Hood’s granny.

I certainly wouldn’t saddle any innocent little baby boy with it.

Please
or

Babdoc · 14/05/2022 10:04

You know that Johnny Cash song “Boy named Sue” - where the boy had to learn to fight his whole life through, being picked on for his girly name? Well….

Please
or

TheBermudaTriangle · 14/05/2022 10:04

It's the name of a fairly major character in Harry Potter (and a lupin flower) - does not come across as edgy at all. It just seems like the sort of name two Harry Potter obsessive would give a child. Also not keen on the inevitable nicknames associated with loos / pinhead etc.

Please
or

splishsplashsploshsplish · 14/05/2022 10:05

Absolutely not. It's just awful. I can't believe you are even considering it (esp more than once!).

What about Rowan, Cedar, Juniper, Oleander, Ash, Florian, Kunal, Laurel or Jared, if you are absolutely stuck on a floral theme?

Please
or

Unwaxedlemons · 14/05/2022 10:05

Sorry but it made me think of lapin.. french for rabbit. I dont know the HP reference but im not keen.

Please
or

SpaceJamtart · 14/05/2022 10:05

I'd assume you were super into Harry Potter

Please
or

Lindisfarne1 · 14/05/2022 10:06

Just no....poor kid will be made fun of

Please
or

SpiderVersed · 14/05/2022 10:06

Don’t do it, he’ll be battling because of it for years.

Please
or

SoupDragon · 14/05/2022 10:06

Lupin is edgy

it really isn't.

Please
or

splishsplashsploshsplish · 14/05/2022 10:07

Unwaxedlemons

Sorry but it made me think of lapin.. french for rabbit. I dont know the HP reference but im not keen.

It's also very close to lutin (elf) which was actually my first though after the plant!

Please
or

starrynight21 · 14/05/2022 10:07

I think of Arsene Lupin, gentleman thief , or lupin the flower. I'm not a fan of the name, certainly wouldn't saddle an innocent little boy with it.

Please
or

riverpebbles · 14/05/2022 10:08

Absolutely sounds like a Harry Potter reference.

Please
or

SpaceJamtart · 14/05/2022 10:08

I don't think its bad as a name, but it's not edgy, it sounds small and feminine

Please
or

Amdone123 · 14/05/2022 10:10

My first thought was lupus, then wolf.
Not for me.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.