I’ve been having a horrible time of it periods wise for years. After trying other things and waiting for a very long time, I finally saw a gynaecologist and she’s agreed to do a procedure under general anaesthetic and of all looks good they’ll go ahead and give me an ablation.
which means no more periods, and no more babies. I’m fine with that. We have a five year old DS, who is honestly a total little gem, maybe I’d have objectively liked more but I’m now 40, we are in a two bed flat that has decreased in value, I’m only just starting to think about the fact that I can work a bit more and have some more of my own income, and DH was fairly crap in the early years in terms of shared parenting, we had huge rows about it.
Anyway the date for the op has come up quicker than I thought it would, for a month from now. I’ve told DH and he says ‘well it’s time to have a proper discussion about it then, whether you want to go ahead or not’ I said I do. He is saying it’s not ‘just’ my decision to completely close off the possibility of having another baby and how would I feel if he ‘suddenly’ had a vasectomy without telling me? I said it’s not the same thing because my main motivation is I’m sick of writhing around in pain for three days out of a month and bleeding through my clothes. And ultimately, my body, my choice.
He says that not what marriage is about and it needs to be a mutual decision.
I don’t know what I’m asking really but I’m feeling pretty incredulous to be honest that he’s taken this line. I feel like I’m sort of betraying him in a way of I go along with the op as planned but that’s pretty ridiculous isn’t it?!