My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it's impossible to lose weight as an older woman (70)

201 replies

DoraSpenlow · 08/02/2024 10:52

OK I've been daft. December was a really social month for us with Christmas get-togethers, special birthdays and anniversary celebrations with lovely friends. Lots of eating and drinking without much thought for the consquences. Basically just had a great month.

Weighed myself on Boxing day and had put on 8 lbs from my usual weight to bring me to 10 stones exactly (I'm 5' 3"). Decided to take drastic measures before it got any worse. Joined a gym for 2 PT-led sessions a week, one Pilates class, Zumba Gold and I try to walk 2-3 miles a day. I also ride twice a week but I have been doing this for years so that's not new.

Eating wise I never eat breakfast anyway but a normal day is now a black coffee around 8.30 and another at 11.00. For lunch something like porridge, homemade vegetable soup or two eggs one slice of wholemeal from a small loaf. Dinner is chicken or fish with vegetables, maybe one small potato or a spoonful of rice, a plain two egg omlette or ham salad. Dessert is an apple or an orange. If we go out I will have a really boring salad. Oh and I've been drinking loads of water (up 6 times in the night last night).

Since Boxing Day I've not had any cake, biscuits, crisps, sweets or alcohol. DH has been eating his usual sized portions, but cutting out cake, crisps and chocolate (no exercise, apart from he will sometimes walk with me) and has lost 6 lbs. I weighed myself this morning. 10 sodding stones. My PT says I'm not eating enough which is ridiculous. So, people. What else can I do? I've been hungry since Christmas and nothing to show for it. Oh, and my bicep and thigh measurements are the same, my waist is 1" bigger, so I've not gone entirely on weight.

Sorry for the essay!!

OP posts:
BigfootAficionado · 08/02/2024 10:56

You sound a bit obsessive!

I weigh about 11 stones and am 5ft 3, I am 54. I just eat what I want and enjoy myself, life is too short to be constantly hungry😄

I think people look better with a little weight on when older and its healthier too.

Menopants · 08/02/2024 10:57

It just takes longer. Stick at it. As you build muscle your metabolism should rise a little. Drink lots of water. I’m in a similar position at 50. I’m doing weight based training 3 times a week, running Pilates and yoga and the weight is being stubborn but I’ll keep going

DoraSpenlow · 08/02/2024 11:53

BigfootAficionado · 08/02/2024 10:56

You sound a bit obsessive!

I weigh about 11 stones and am 5ft 3, I am 54. I just eat what I want and enjoy myself, life is too short to be constantly hungry😄

I think people look better with a little weight on when older and its healthier too.

But I have never been this heavy and I can already feel a difference in the way my knees feel when climbing stairs. I've also now got a muffin top when wearing trousers, it looks awful. I'm determmined to not just buy bigger clothes as that will be a slippery slope for me. NB, this is for me not what other people think about how I look.

OP posts:
DoraSpenlow · 08/02/2024 11:56

Menopants · 08/02/2024 10:57

It just takes longer. Stick at it. As you build muscle your metabolism should rise a little. Drink lots of water. I’m in a similar position at 50. I’m doing weight based training 3 times a week, running Pilates and yoga and the weight is being stubborn but I’ll keep going

I am drinking lots of water. Hence being up so many times in the night. But I will stick at it for anther month but I'm not sure I can keep this up with no results for encouragement.

OP posts:
leilani83 · 08/02/2024 11:57

Chill. I'm over 20 years younger, about your height and just under 10 stone after more than a year of dieting with Ozempic/Wegovy - and I consider myself to be a great weight now!

When does it end for women, the obsessing over our body image, if people are still at it at 70?

HeadNorth · 08/02/2024 12:04

I think you need to give it more time. I am late 50s and losing weight is harder and slower, but not impossible. I agree you want to nip this in the bud rather than allowing your weight to drift upwards to the detriment of your health.

What I have found helped is working out with hand weights - I don't use heavy weights, just 5kg, but it has helped me maintain muscle mass (which we all start to lose as we age) and thus kept my metabolism revved.

I noticed you ride, so a drastic suggestion is to start competing - when I am competing my horse I get so nervous before events the weight falls off me Grin

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g · 08/02/2024 12:06

FWIW, the NHS BMI calculator says you have a BMI of just under 25, so in the healthy range, but only just. I am well into the overweight range, so watching with interest. I do think it's a lot harder to lose weight in later life. My body seems to have the same attitude to calories as Smaug did to his hoard of gold in The Hobbit. Not a single gram of fat can be spared! My knees would thank me if I could get a bit of weight off, so I sympathise with your plight. Good luck!

Ace56 · 08/02/2024 12:07

Honestly at 70, why bother? Unless you’re chronically obese and it’s affecting your health.

hungryhiphop · 08/02/2024 12:08

You seem much more image focussed than health focussed. Try to change your mindset and work with your PT on fitness.

The only thing you've said that is in anyway concerning is if your knees struggle when you climb stairs, and the answer to that is working/ building your leg muscles with your PT.

You're not obese, you're 10 stone - your weight is fine.

Algorhythum · 08/02/2024 12:09

you wont lose weight because if you are exercising you are gaining muscle. I started PT last year and have put on half a stone but can see that what was once fat or loose skin is tightening up.
it takes time after menopause to see the results, but keep at it…you are doing all the right things and your shape will change eventually.

PerfectTravelTote · 08/02/2024 12:11

It takes time. Stick with it. All that exercise is doing you a world of good.

Menopants · 08/02/2024 12:14

Older women don’t magically stop wanting to take pleasure in looking nice and wearing nice clothes. You don’t turn 50 and suddenly start buying elasticated slacks from Lakeland

MuddlerInLaw · 08/02/2024 12:15

Honestly at 70, why bother? Unless you’re chronically obese and it’s affecting your health.

Really curious to know what you mean here?

The OP has said she’s not comfortable at her current weight - in terms of fitness and appearance and clothes fitting. So why should she not try to alter that?

CherryogDog · 08/02/2024 12:20

@DoraSpenlow I lost a massive amount of weight (5stone) 10 years ago by low carbing, lifting light weights (2kg), HIIT routines and c25k.
I kept it off for 4 years then got complacent, I've put a stone of flab on.
I'm 60, 5'3 and 10st3.
I've had to buy new clothes ffs! And it's depressing when you're buying bigger rather than newer 😁
Anyway, just sharing what worked for me.
Plus since using Vagifem most days I've gone from being up every hour for a wee to lasting 6/7 hours.

BardRelic · 08/02/2024 12:21

I would try Tai Chi. I do a combination of Tai Chi and HIIT. I'm early 50s and have found the combination does help me drop weight. The great thing about Tai Chi is it has all sorts of other, proven, health benefits, including reducing stress and increasing muscle mass. It will help with your riding as well because it's a lot about balance, core strength and coordination. And because it's slow, deliberate movements it's suitable and sustainable as you age.

CherryogDog · 08/02/2024 12:26

@Menopants you made me laugh!
My weight crept back because I wear lots of stretchy/ lycia clothes (also a horse owner so live in riding tights) and I've been looking at elastic waist slacks, just that they're black and called yoga pants 😅

NecessaryNC24 · 08/02/2024 12:33

OP I think you'd be better off moving this to Weight Loss chat for like-minds and advice.

Otherwise, as you can see, you'll just get people having a go or saying you're fine as you are when it's quite obvious you're not happy with the post-Christmas gain. Neither would I be.

Good luck 🤞🏻.

mooncloud1 · 08/02/2024 12:35

Not sure exactly what to say this, but what a thoughtless comment. I imagine you're one of those people who think 30 is old. Wait until you're 70 and see if you think 'why bother' 🙄

Bookworm20 · 08/02/2024 12:40

Have you tried Joe Wicks body coach?
I think I understand where the not eating enough is coming from, from the PT. I did the Joe wicks program and felt like it was an insane amount of food, way more than I was eating before I started and yet I lost weight easily. I only tried it because a friend was on it and had lost weight when pretty much everything else she had tried had failed.
Its apparantly when and what you eat and in order to lose weight you need to eat enough of certain types of food at certain times. It maximises your metabolism or something sciencey like that. I couldn't get my head around how it could actually work, but it worked and I definitely wasn't hungry. I also wasn't knocking myself out with the exercise and did less than you are doing now!
May be worth a try?

saraclara · 08/02/2024 12:42

I put on weight more easily, I find (I'm 68} but I can definitely lose it. Back in late summer/autumn I lost a stone. But I religiously counted my calories, and made sure I did at least a decent brisk walk every day.

saraclara · 08/02/2024 12:45

I missed this earlier. Good grief.

Belovedbagle · 08/02/2024 12:49

I agree with you. I've never had a weight problem but now in my 50's I have to starve to lose weight. Exercise is great but doesn't help!

CointreauVersial · 08/02/2024 12:54

Yes, let's all give up. Women are invisible at that age anyway.....🙄

TimeforZ · 08/02/2024 12:58

Eat protein at every meal. If you're still hungry, it because you're not eating enough protein. It's also possible all the extra exercise is causing your muscles to retain water for repair.

baileybrosbuildingandloan · 08/02/2024 12:59

@DoraSpenlow your knees feel worse with an extra 8lbs? That's not possible.
Just aim for a small loss each week and it will come.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.