My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it's impossible to lose weight as an older woman (70)

201 replies

DoraSpenlow · 08/02/2024 10:52

OK I've been daft. December was a really social month for us with Christmas get-togethers, special birthdays and anniversary celebrations with lovely friends. Lots of eating and drinking without much thought for the consquences. Basically just had a great month.

Weighed myself on Boxing day and had put on 8 lbs from my usual weight to bring me to 10 stones exactly (I'm 5' 3"). Decided to take drastic measures before it got any worse. Joined a gym for 2 PT-led sessions a week, one Pilates class, Zumba Gold and I try to walk 2-3 miles a day. I also ride twice a week but I have been doing this for years so that's not new.

Eating wise I never eat breakfast anyway but a normal day is now a black coffee around 8.30 and another at 11.00. For lunch something like porridge, homemade vegetable soup or two eggs one slice of wholemeal from a small loaf. Dinner is chicken or fish with vegetables, maybe one small potato or a spoonful of rice, a plain two egg omlette or ham salad. Dessert is an apple or an orange. If we go out I will have a really boring salad. Oh and I've been drinking loads of water (up 6 times in the night last night).

Since Boxing Day I've not had any cake, biscuits, crisps, sweets or alcohol. DH has been eating his usual sized portions, but cutting out cake, crisps and chocolate (no exercise, apart from he will sometimes walk with me) and has lost 6 lbs. I weighed myself this morning. 10 sodding stones. My PT says I'm not eating enough which is ridiculous. So, people. What else can I do? I've been hungry since Christmas and nothing to show for it. Oh, and my bicep and thigh measurements are the same, my waist is 1" bigger, so I've not gone entirely on weight.

Sorry for the essay!!

OP posts:
kkloo · 11/02/2024 17:53

DoraSpenlow · 11/02/2024 15:45

@GreyCarpet

Thank you. I have tried low carb in years gone by but it really didn't suit me. I felt very lacking in energy and shaky. The first time I tried it I thought it was just a coincidence but I tried again a few months later and felt the same.

When I have lost weight before I just ate the same things but much less of it and exercie more and it seemed to work. Nothing happening this time though. Yet. Never been this heavy though. It seems impossible that I can put on about 8lbs in a month but diet for 10 weeks with no change. Will keep slogging on.

It might have just been that you needed more electrolytes on the low carb diet. A lot of people don't know that.

GreyCarpet · 12/02/2024 07:57

Yes, I definitely agree about the electrolytes.

Electrolytes are stored in the water in your body. Your body retains water if you eat a high carb diet (hence bloating and puffiness). If you eat low carb, you retain less water and so your electrolytes are lower. It makes sense when you consider electrolyte imbalance is one of the side effects of diarrhoea due to water loss.

The recommendation is that people have 1tsp of good quality pink salt or sea salt (not table salt) a day plus good quality magnesium. Without these, the low energy and shakiness will occur.

I'm not going to evangelise for low carb/keto way of eating but there is a very good fb group which has guides to read explaining how to do it properly. I'd be happy to PM you the name if you're interested. Esp as you've tried it a couple of times previously.

There's no requirement to participate if you just want to get a feel for it or more information.

For clarity, there are a lot of women who post there in their 60s and 70s. Including one woman who I believe is in her 70s poss 60s. She occasionally posts before and after photos of herself. She's been doing it for 10 years. She has not only lost weight but looks younger now than she did when she started because of the overall health benefits and reduced inflammation in the body.

soupfiend · 12/02/2024 08:04

Ace56 · 08/02/2024 12:07

Honestly at 70, why bother? Unless you’re chronically obese and it’s affecting your health.

Lol
Why, is OP nearly dead, not worth working at her health and (why not) her appearance?

OP others will have said this by now but its just a waiting game, keep on doing what you're doing and in another few weeks you'll see the numbers come down if you are in calorie deficit

GreyCarpet · 12/02/2024 08:06

Also, your body doesn't actually need a huge amount of carbs. If you have a high carb diet, it will utilise that as its energy source because it's easier than using fat. It's more readily available for the body to use.

While your body is using carbs as its primary fuel source, it isn't going to burn fat because it's a different process. This is why you can cut down on your overall food intake and not see much of a difference in your weight/size.

Your body just becomes more efficient at using the calories you are consuming.

There's a documentary that is currently on YouTube called The Magic Pill. It's about 90 mins long but it's well worth a watch.

After that, I really would recommend Dr Jason Fung.

GreyCarpet · 12/02/2024 08:14

The calories in vs calories out model is flawed and views the body as a simple machine.

It's not.

It works for some people, yes, but generally in the short term which is why people on SW or WW put weight back on if they stop.

I lost 2 stone overall doing low carb and kept it off easily.

I'd previously tried low calorie diets, keeping my intake to 1200. Wasn't losing weight. I switched to low carb, upped my calorie intake to 1600, focused on eating 'proper' food and the weight fell off. I did keto for a short while (now low carb). I lost weight eating 135g of healthy (including animal) fats a day. My skin, sleep and energy evels all improved.

People will tell you that low carb is no different to low fat and you're just creating a calorie deficit through different means.

In reality, if you do low carb/keto properly then there is no calorie deficit.

soupfiend · 12/02/2024 08:18

Just reading the thread properly, all the people saying OP isnt eating enough, she hasnt set out any portion sizes or calorie amounts or her expended calories so its impossible tell if she is in calorie deficit or not

She could be, but could be retaining water due to the increase in exercise, particularly as she has troublesome joints

She wont be 'building muscle' this early on, she isnt a body builder, it takes a long long time to do that, not since Christmas

Theres no such thing as 'starvation mode'.

But she might be fluctuating and as another poster says, 2 measurements 6 weeks apart tells you nothing, our weight fluctuates a lot.

midgetastic · 12/02/2024 08:25

The reason people put weight back on again is still calories in calories out

They put less in and diet and lose weight

And then go weeeheee back to normal and eat too too much and gain weight

GreyCarpet · 12/02/2024 08:34

Well yes, it doesn't matter what food you eat, if you consume more calories than you expend, you are going to put on weight.

But achieving a calorie deficit through a low calorie diet of 1200 or less when your BMR is higher than that only works in the short term. It is unsustainable in the long term. People get hungry and their weight loss plateaus. If low calorie was always the answer, this wouldn't happen.

Your body becomes more efficient at running on fewer calories but it becomes unhealthy in the process.

quisensoucie · 12/02/2024 08:36

I think people look better with a little weight on when older and its healthier too.

No, it isn't healthier. That's a ridiculous statement

soupfiend · 12/02/2024 08:51

quisensoucie · 12/02/2024 08:36

I think people look better with a little weight on when older and its healthier too.

No, it isn't healthier. That's a ridiculous statement

I think there is some research that sets out that there are some health benefits and protective factors for being slightly overweight as we are in elderly years, not sure if 70 is categorised as that or not

However it always needs to be balanced out with any health risks of being overweight for that particular individual. If OP is feeling the extra weight around her joints (which is why I personally wouldnt be exercising in a way that puts pressure on them until I had lost weight because exercise isnt that great for losing weight) then thats a balance she needs to make too.

BIossomtoes · 12/02/2024 09:04

quisensoucie · 12/02/2024 09:02

One study? That's it?

No, it’s just one example. You’ll find plenty more if you look.

Lampzade · 12/02/2024 09:06

Up your protein
IF is great for peri/post menopausal woman
Vary your exercise, mixture of cardio, strength and flexibility - exercise moderately .

Dont be a slave to the scales- particularly if you exercise a lot.
You need to eat more

soupfiend · 12/02/2024 09:11

quisensoucie · 12/02/2024 09:02

One study? That's it?

Its fairly common knowledge, has been for some years, its not new or unexpected when you think about how the human body works anyway, slowing metabolism means that as people age they may gain a little weight. Obviously in an obesity focused world that causes problems but back when there was no fast food, constant eating, high calorie access it served a purpose

But each person needs to work out for their individual circumstances whether that is right for them or not

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 12/02/2024 09:23

Last winter (as an over 70) I lost over 5 kg in 3 weeks.
However I wouldn’t recommend that particular ‘diet’ - it was down to that period in hospital with pneumonia, followed immediately by pleurisy, and all the ABs I was on (presumably it was down to that) made everything taste and smell so horrible, I couldn’t even enjoy a cup of tea.
(Not that I wasn’t grateful for all those ABs - I most certainly was.)

Should add, I pretty soon put it all back on again!

stayathomer · 12/02/2024 10:32

43 here and have taken note of your excercise op, sounds so enjoyable! (Haven’t ridden for 15 years but making it a goal this year)

Mumaway · 12/02/2024 10:34

leilani83 · 08/02/2024 11:57

Chill. I'm over 20 years younger, about your height and just under 10 stone after more than a year of dieting with Ozempic/Wegovy - and I consider myself to be a great weight now!

When does it end for women, the obsessing over our body image, if people are still at it at 70?

Why on earth would you be using Wegovy at that weight/height/BMI??

BIossomtoes · 12/02/2024 10:37

Because she wasn’t that weight/height/BMI when it was prescribed. That’s the after, not the before. 🙄

Tomatina · 12/02/2024 11:07

Ace56 · 08/02/2024 12:07

Honestly at 70, why bother? Unless you’re chronically obese and it’s affecting your health.

Why bother? Maybe because people of all ages are allowed to take an interest in their health and appearance?

WirKindervomBahnhofZoo · 12/02/2024 11:21

Just keep going OP! I think there's an unwritten rule that it takes longer to lose the weight than it does to put it on in the first place.
It's very easy to put weight on but not so easy to shift it!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

leilani83 · 12/02/2024 13:28

Because I was over 13 stone when I began.

GreyCarpet · 12/02/2024 13:31

Do some people just never engage their brain?

BIossomtoes · 12/02/2024 13:34

GreyCarpet · 12/02/2024 13:31

Do some people just never engage their brain?

It would appear not.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.