My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think it's impossible to lose weight as an older woman (70)

201 replies

DoraSpenlow · 08/02/2024 10:52

OK I've been daft. December was a really social month for us with Christmas get-togethers, special birthdays and anniversary celebrations with lovely friends. Lots of eating and drinking without much thought for the consquences. Basically just had a great month.

Weighed myself on Boxing day and had put on 8 lbs from my usual weight to bring me to 10 stones exactly (I'm 5' 3"). Decided to take drastic measures before it got any worse. Joined a gym for 2 PT-led sessions a week, one Pilates class, Zumba Gold and I try to walk 2-3 miles a day. I also ride twice a week but I have been doing this for years so that's not new.

Eating wise I never eat breakfast anyway but a normal day is now a black coffee around 8.30 and another at 11.00. For lunch something like porridge, homemade vegetable soup or two eggs one slice of wholemeal from a small loaf. Dinner is chicken or fish with vegetables, maybe one small potato or a spoonful of rice, a plain two egg omlette or ham salad. Dessert is an apple or an orange. If we go out I will have a really boring salad. Oh and I've been drinking loads of water (up 6 times in the night last night).

Since Boxing Day I've not had any cake, biscuits, crisps, sweets or alcohol. DH has been eating his usual sized portions, but cutting out cake, crisps and chocolate (no exercise, apart from he will sometimes walk with me) and has lost 6 lbs. I weighed myself this morning. 10 sodding stones. My PT says I'm not eating enough which is ridiculous. So, people. What else can I do? I've been hungry since Christmas and nothing to show for it. Oh, and my bicep and thigh measurements are the same, my waist is 1" bigger, so I've not gone entirely on weight.

Sorry for the essay!!

OP posts:
heyhohello · 08/02/2024 18:53

You can work out your TDEE and estimate macros for you on this website.

tdeecalculator.net/

Gwenhwyfar · 08/02/2024 18:53

BigfootAficionado · 08/02/2024 10:56

You sound a bit obsessive!

I weigh about 11 stones and am 5ft 3, I am 54. I just eat what I want and enjoy myself, life is too short to be constantly hungry😄

I think people look better with a little weight on when older and its healthier too.

11 stone at 5'3 sounds overweight, but I realise there is some evidence that it's better to be overweight as we age. I don't think it looks good though and I'm not sure this is helpful to op.

BobbyBiscuits · 08/02/2024 18:57

You are very determined and I admire you. But, you are not eating enough. Your body is holding onto your fat reserves at it thinks it's starving. Metabolism changes a lot when you age, but doing all that exercise you need more calories than that to fuel your muscle growth. Add more protein to your diet. Muscle weighs more than fat remember so it's about being toned and healthy, not skinny/low weight. That's bad for your bones. I should know I've a bone density of -4.7 and I'm 43.

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 19:08

@BobbyBiscuits a lot depends on your frame. I'm at the low end for BMI but small framed (not wide, hip bone to hip bone, narrow shoulders and wrists). If I put weight on it tends to go down as fat. I run and do some weights and have got visible muscle definition. I don't need a huge amount of food to maintain even though I run 10k a day and walk about 5k, I eat normal to small portions (about 500- 700 calls for main meal).

Workhardcryharder · 08/02/2024 19:10

I’d listen to your pt.

when I was running 50 miles a week and eating 1000 calories (I know) I was losing way less than I am now running 25 miles a week and eating 1600 calories a day. Your body goes into survival mode and gets used to the lower calories

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 19:15

@Workhardcryharder I love the running though!😁 Joking aside I eat more than 1000 a day calls tho. Not in 'survival mode' either. Not sure it's even that true. Don't suffer from many injuries or illnesses or tiredness. The body is an amazing thing. I think I maintain because I've got fitter! But I don't want to lose weight either. But if I did there's always stuff you can tweak. Harder running, heavier weights...

Gimmethemoney · 08/02/2024 19:29

Your meals are not appropriately balanced for your exercise. Eat more protein with every meal. Eat proper breakfast. Try something like Turkish eggs with tomato & chickpeas to give you a long boost in the mornings.

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 19:31

Not to sound glib though. I've been overweight in my life too. Thing is it is possible to lose it. You just have to find a diet exercise plan to suit. Working out your TDEE might well help as might tracking how much you eat and burn with a fitness tracker. I found that experience eye opening. My adult son and husband and husband can burn more than me running 10k and walking 5k on days they no exercise. Yet years ago I had the same portions as them at main mealtimes!

BobbyBiscuits · 08/02/2024 19:34

@heyhohello Your are not wrong. I guess it's really difficult to advise people with little info. I'm kind of apple shaped, so no hips, no arse quite wide shoulders though but all the weight goes straight to my belly, face and upper arms, with legs like sticks regardless! haha. You sound really healthy compared to me. I don't really exercise at all : (

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 19:39

@BobbyBiscuits, I haven't always been healthy. A few years ago I was overweight with a very bad back and then I got cancer. Needless to say I didn't exercise much. When I finished my treat I decided I wanted to something about my health! Don't give up!

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 19:43

Treatment not treat!😂 By the way ok now been discharged.

echt · 08/02/2024 19:47

OP, if you're looking at BMI, you need to use the calculator for older people.
Your current weight puts you in the healthy range, your original had you underweight.

The shortened news is being underweight is not good for older people.
I'll be 70 this year so sympathise.

Sorry for the hideous title Grin

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/geriatric-bmi

Geriatric BMI Calculator | BMI Calculator for Seniors

The geriatric BMI calculator is designed for older individuals over 65 years of age. It calculates BMI and determines if the person is underweight, overweight, or a healthy weight.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/geriatric-bmi

Motheroffourdragons · 08/02/2024 19:48

I am 10 years younger, and was really p*ssed off to be 10 stone.

I reached that milestone last year before I got covid, then I lost about 10lbs, so apart from the covid bit I was really happy. (4 months ago)

I weighed this morning and am now 9 stone 12, so annoyed, because I am still not eating the way I was pre covid, but it is just turning up again.

I also agree that 8lbs makes a huge difference - i am well within my BMI at 10 st but I feel rubbish, whereas at 9 st 4-6 I feel absolutely fine

BobbyBiscuits · 08/02/2024 20:02

@heyhohello I'm sorry to hear you had health issues, and it's great you have stepped up! You are a credit to yourself. My issue is more on the other end of the weight scale, I have anorexia but I'm doing well right now. TBH this site has helped me feel better and eat more for some reason : )

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 20:10

@BobbyBiscuits take it easy on yourself. I'm really quite ordinary and I started off very slowly (with exercises for the elderly and infirm!). Came across technique videos on YouTube for the running which made it easier, didn't think I could run before. My health issues were years ago now. Sounds like the sort of exercise that would be good for you would be strengthening and toning but you need to eat enough too for these to work well.

BobbyBiscuits · 08/02/2024 20:18

@heyhohello Thank you! : )

heyhohello · 08/02/2024 20:20

@BobbyBiscuits, you're welcome.🙂

Tiredalwaystired · 09/02/2024 20:54

Im in my 50s and have lost 8lbs since new year (got about another stone to go).

definitely possible, but have added a lot more exercise into the mix.

DoraSpenlow · 10/02/2024 20:01

Tiredalwaystired · 09/02/2024 20:54

Im in my 50s and have lost 8lbs since new year (got about another stone to go).

definitely possible, but have added a lot more exercise into the mix.

Would you mind sharing exactly how please? Not sure how I can add very much more exercise.

OP posts:
SallyWD · 11/02/2024 07:56

My mum's nearly 76 and has been doing Slimming World for a couple of months. She has lost about 12lbs. Although she's active in the house she doesn't do much exercise at all as she's a carer for my dad.

GreyCarpet · 11/02/2024 12:37

OP, you could try low carb. It has the added benefits of regulating hormones and being anti inflammatory if you eat clean.

Its primarily at 'for health' woe but a lot of people see quite dramatic weightloss with it.

You get a lot of people saying it's faddy and it's unhealthy to cut out an entire food group. Firstly, you're not cutting it out, you are reducing your intake of it and secondly, people see low carb as faddy but low fat as common sense.

Which is bonkers really.

Look up Dr Jason Fung's Obesity Code podcasts (you can listen on Spotify without having an account).

DoraSpenlow · 11/02/2024 15:45

@GreyCarpet

Thank you. I have tried low carb in years gone by but it really didn't suit me. I felt very lacking in energy and shaky. The first time I tried it I thought it was just a coincidence but I tried again a few months later and felt the same.

When I have lost weight before I just ate the same things but much less of it and exercie more and it seemed to work. Nothing happening this time though. Yet. Never been this heavy though. It seems impossible that I can put on about 8lbs in a month but diet for 10 weeks with no change. Will keep slogging on.

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

RM2013 · 11/02/2024 15:55

First of all well done on the exercise. Im
heading towards 50 and have learnt a lot about the benefits of exercise as we get older. You may not be eating enough - as crazy as it seems. Can your PT advise you how many cals is recommended and work on that? I use MyFitnessPal to track my food - not just calories but also to ensure I’m eating enough protein as this will help to keep you feeling full, is great for muscle repair etc essentially you need to ensure you’re in a calorie deficit to see the weight coming off.

weight loss can take longer as we get older but stick at it

Silvers11 · 11/02/2024 17:12

DoraSpenlow · 11/02/2024 15:45

@GreyCarpet

Thank you. I have tried low carb in years gone by but it really didn't suit me. I felt very lacking in energy and shaky. The first time I tried it I thought it was just a coincidence but I tried again a few months later and felt the same.

When I have lost weight before I just ate the same things but much less of it and exercie more and it seemed to work. Nothing happening this time though. Yet. Never been this heavy though. It seems impossible that I can put on about 8lbs in a month but diet for 10 weeks with no change. Will keep slogging on.

@DoraSpenlow How long did you try low-carbing for? And how many carbs were you eating in a day when you tried it? It can be normal to feel a bit lacking in energy, even shaky, for a few days? I can't do 30gms carbs a day because it makes me shaky etc, even for 3 weeks or so - But I am fine with 60-70 carbs a day, no problem!

Nanny0gg · 11/02/2024 17:19

Ace56 · 08/02/2024 12:07

Honestly at 70, why bother? Unless you’re chronically obese and it’s affecting your health.

Yes. Once you hit 70, just give up.

Who cares how healthy you are or how you feel about yourself?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.