Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Airbnb owner keeps texting me WWYD

162 replies

Marniemo · 21/01/2024 21:24

Rented a cottage for a week and the owner is a lovely very kind woman. She keeps wanting to come over and meet my kids. I’ve been here two days and she has texted me every single day since. I have now agreed to Wednesday evening.

AIBU to think this is odd? Im sure she is very nice but it feels full on. I’m wondering if she just wants to check on her property?

OP posts:
calexico · 22/01/2024 11:26

We stayed ina lovely cottage in Wales once, everything was perfect apart the host who texted 3 or 4 times to check if everything was ok. It was quite annoying as I felt obliged to give him regular updates. In his review he said I was an 'easygoing' guest. Maybe other guests made more demands, I don't know.

Skigal86 · 22/01/2024 11:26

That’s madness! I have a holiday property and we had our first guests from airbnb over new year and I was fretting about texting once the morning after they arrived to make sure everything was ok! 😂 funnily enough she’s text me as I’m writing this post!

Maddy70 · 22/01/2024 11:26

Just say you are on holiday and without being rude yoh are tryi g to get away from meeting people and enjoy some alone time with your children

Haydenn · 22/01/2024 11:28

I stayed in an Airbnb (a room in a house) and it became apparent that each day the owner was coming into the room when I was out to check on things. It made me feel really creeped out. I get that having a stranger in your home or rental can make people anxious but if they can’t get over that then they shouldn’t be renting it out. They also shouldn’t be texting you beyond checking you’ve settled in ok and making sure you don’t need anything else

LoobyDop · 22/01/2024 11:30

Don’t offer excuses or explanations, that’s just an invitation to keep coming up with new ways for her to meet you. Just say unfortunately that isn’t going to work as you now have plans, and you’ll let her know if you need anything. Honestly, some people make it so easy for others to boss them around and take up unwanted time and space.

Pookerrod · 22/01/2024 11:36

We had an Airbnb host unpack our suitcases!

It was in Dartmouth during the regatta. The owner met us at the property with the keys and to show us how everything worked then told us to go quickly to the harbour so we didn’t miss anything and she’d lock up.

When we got back to the property later, she’d emptied all our cases and put our clothes away, including folding up my underwear and putting them in a little drawer next to the bed.

It freaked me out. She also turned up with breakfast bits most mornings which was lovely but she wanted to eat breakfast with us on the terrace.

NotMyFirstChoiceofName · 22/01/2024 11:37

newusername2009 · 22/01/2024 11:20

I pulled out of an Airbnb booking this summer because the owner asked for my linked in profile, wanted a full run down of my family life and what our plans were during the holiday - these I gave her but when that was not enough and she kept asking for more including a phone interview I pulled out.

Please report this to Air bnb. I assume you communicated through the app so they will see that she has asked for this. Even if you cancelled ( which I don’t blame you ) , the exchanges through the app will still be there in your inbox.

It’s a huge privacy concern, she should not have asked for any of that.

I use air BnB a lot and the only information hosts have on me is what’s in my profile and my reviews.

My profile is just a photo and something generic like “ Hi I’m Jane, I live in the north of England with my partner and children and I work in financial services. We enjoy travelling and exploring new cities “.

ACynicalDad · 22/01/2024 11:39

I'd complain to AirBnB HQ

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 22/01/2024 11:41

We had an air bnb where it turned out the owners lived above and could therefore look down on us from above whenever we were outside. And would come and look around when we were out.

Really ruined the holiday.

It put me off the whole air bnb concept tbh

Alicewinn · 22/01/2024 11:43

Yeah that's really weird. You have a right to privacy! Don't feel obliged if you don't want to make excuses. Good luck!

Caroparo52 · 22/01/2024 11:48

Dear owner
Everything is fine. We know how to contact you if need to.
Will text when leaving.
Bye

Mothership4two · 22/01/2024 11:51

I’ve been here two days and she has texted me every single day since. I have now agreed to Wednesday evening.

I would ignore texts and would have made it clear when she first asked that we weren't having her visit. It's OK to say you have changed your mind. It's your holiday OP and you are paying her to stay there!

Some of the posts on here are quite eye-opening. Have done Airbnb and holiday cottages and never had anyone being intrusive.

Puzzledandpissedoff · 22/01/2024 11:56

Totally inappropriate, and while I suppose asking once might have passed the badgering just makes it worse

As nearly everyone's said, just refuse - and if necessary simply say you need the time on your own or something

TotalAbsenceOfImperialRaiment · 22/01/2024 12:01

mrsedgein · 22/01/2024 06:35

Very annoying behaviour and unprofessional. Be firm but kind and mention something infectious brewing that you want to avoid passing on. I stayed in a hotel and the owner visited me every day then burst out crying and said 'why does everyone end up leaving me' when I left - (maybe because it's a hotel?). You are probably too nice and the world is full of lonely people.

That's bizarre behaviour! It's surprising how many people in the hospitality business are either effusively over-friendly or deeply misanthropic.

Junipergray · 22/01/2024 12:01

How do posts like this get to over 100 replies (and counting) when the OP has never returned with a single response?

taxiforme · 22/01/2024 12:06

This happened to us. Went away with girlfriends- all in early 40's.

When she came round VERY early one morning with a cake (beautiful property on a farm) one of my friends had a heart to heart with the owner.

Turned out her daughter (who would have been the same age as us) was killed in a car accident a couple of years ago and she was missing her so much. Awful.

Sorry, that doesn't help you much but before we knew, we thought she was a bit OTT. It was also her first year renting out and she was a bit anxious, too.

Anyway, it seems she is overstepping the boundaries and you just need to be firm but kind as people have said.

LookItsMeAgain · 22/01/2024 12:07

You have given this person your details for the purposes of renting accommodation through AirBnB, or you gave AirBnB your details and they passed them along to this person for the purposes of you renting accommodation.
No other purpose.

This person should not be texting you to meet up as that is not what your details were for.

I would be very uncomfortable in how my personal details are being shared and used.

PeopleAreWeird · 22/01/2024 12:09

And this is why i would never use airbnb

Experincedhotmuminurarea · 22/01/2024 12:21

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

PanettonePudding · 22/01/2024 12:43

Junipergray · 22/01/2024 12:01

How do posts like this get to over 100 replies (and counting) when the OP has never returned with a single response?

Because we're chatting amongst ourselves. HTH.

beanii · 22/01/2024 12:46

Very weird.

I'd reply that you've got a lot planned for your holiday so not sure where you'll be 🤷‍♀️

Iloverockntroll · 22/01/2024 13:00

Happyinarcon · 22/01/2024 04:27

I dunno, I’m getting to that grandma age where I just want to spoil some random kids. I don’t have any grandkids of my own yet but I constantly have the urge to bake cakes and take them round to people. If I had an Airbnb with three kids staying I’d probably be on a baking frenzy.

Baking frenzy??

Without being asked? Or knowing if there are any dietary issues or allergies? How odd.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

candycane222 · 22/01/2024 13:38

alivio · 22/01/2024 11:00

we stayed in an air b&b recently where the owner lived next door and knocked on our door asking if we wanted to go for a dog walk! Nope. I'm here for family time and privacy. As nice as she was. I didn't mention in my review because I wanted a good one back in return. I don't always trust airb&b reviews now.

My kids have perfected the art of the sarky but unexceptionable review. "We really did live laugh and love!!!!!" (to describe the cheesy decor). In your cae you could put "Owners suuuuuper friendly and helpful!! Even invited us for a dog walk! Such a shame we didn't have time!!"

starfishmummy · 22/01/2024 14:11

PeopleAreWeird · 22/01/2024 12:09

And this is why i would never use airbnb

NOt just Air bnb. Our intrusive owner was not.

Lurkingandlearning · 22/01/2024 14:49

I’d text back and say…

To be honest my children are shy with strangers and they wouldn’t enjoy it. I was wondering if you are worried about how we are looking after your property. Would you like me to do a walk through video and send it to you?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.