Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask that fireworks are no longer available except for organised gatherings

163 replies

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:36

After another NY being woken by neighbours' fireworks, AIBU?
They are dangerous (every year someone is injured on Nov 5) and very anti social.

If they aren't banned for personal use, they could be made noiseless only.

I know people will think I'm a party pooper and come along with 'It's only one night of the year' (it's not actually as some neighbours let them off on birthdays and other personal anniversaries.)

People just don't seem to appreciate that not everyone is up at midnight, some people are ill and don't want to be woken up, (in my own family there is someone on treatment for Stage 4 cancer, others with Covid) some people have pets and babies who're disturbed, etc.

OP posts:
Gonnagetgoingreturnsagain · 02/01/2024 11:37

I agree. Low noise or noiseless. Apparently Japan only have noiseless ones now.

ExtraOnions · 02/01/2024 11:38

…not this one again .. same thread every Bonfire / NYE

Cue comments about pets, PTSD, waking children etc

NearlyHeadlessNick · 02/01/2024 11:39

YANBU. I was up with my 3 year old for ages as she was woken up by the fireworks and hated it.

roarrfeckingroar · 02/01/2024 11:40

Yawn.

Wednesdaysotherchild · 02/01/2024 11:40

100% agree - YANBU

MiddleParking · 02/01/2024 11:40

I’d ban them completely for personal use. Zero need for fireworks to be generally available to the public. In the wrong hands (which seems to be most of the people’s that buy them) they’re antisocial and so dangerous.

roarrfeckingroar · 02/01/2024 11:40

Sorry - at yet another thread, not being dismissive of your relative.

Gonnagetgoingreturnsagain · 02/01/2024 11:40

Well actually if it affects people then something should be done about it. My DCat is petrified and tries to hide. It’s no fun for her or me.

IGotItFromAgnes · 02/01/2024 11:41

I actually agree with making them available for organised displays only, for safety reasons. Or at least seriously restricted in what people can buy.

Doesn’t mean there will necessarily be less noise, though. The organised displays around here are worse than any back garden display from that perspective.

MiddleParking · 02/01/2024 11:41

Congratulations on figuring out the mechanics of discussion.

Oogieboogiewhoowoo · 02/01/2024 11:41

On NYE I literally asked myself why no one had petitioned for them to be organised only or noise less ones. I hate them

WhateverMate · 02/01/2024 11:42

Ask who OP?

Petitions have been doing the rounds for years and they never seem to get anywhere.

Who are you going to ask?

romdowa · 02/01/2024 11:43

You need a license here in the Republic of Ireland to purchase and hold a fireworks display and its done us no harm what so ever. The odd few go up the north and get them but its not like it is in the UK. 90% of people don't bother . I heard no fireworks at all nye

Gonnagetgoingreturnsagain · 02/01/2024 11:43

Well obviously here there’ll be 2 camps.

One saying they’re let off on too many nights a year and it can affect pets and people.

Other saying no they’re fine, you’re killjoys, party poopers and people should be able to let them off when they like.

Neriah · 02/01/2024 11:43

I'm also in the "ban all personal use" and would add "all fireworks to be noiseless". And if its only one or twice a year, please pay where you live, bruiser where I am it is a quiet time if its only once a night, every night. And I am not exaggerating. I would kill to move to somewhere where it is twice a year.

Youcannotbeseriousreally · 02/01/2024 11:44

I honestly don’t understand how people are happy to literally burn money.

75 seconds of fireworks was £85 at Costco! mad that people will buy them tbh.

Ilovecaviar · 02/01/2024 11:44

YABU. I love fireworks. It’s usually 2 nights a year and it’s hardly a surprise.

megletthesecond · 02/01/2024 11:45

Yanbu.
I had to go out yesterday and litter pick all the firework litter than the scummy people in my estate have not picked up themselves. I've asked the council to campaign about firework litter.

TheresaCrowd · 02/01/2024 11:47

Ilovecaviar · 02/01/2024 11:44

YABU. I love fireworks. It’s usually 2 nights a year and it’s hardly a surprise.

It's really not 2 nights a year where I live (London/Essex)

Guy Fawkes
NYE
Chinese New Year
Diwali

And now lots of wedding venues setting them off every Saturday night from Spring through to Autumn.

Wakemeuuuup · 02/01/2024 11:48

I notice everyone who wants them banned wants someone else to do something

GoingToBeLessRubbishAtLife · 02/01/2024 11:48

I’d like them to be banned for personal use too.

But I am slightly amused by the people I personally know who have been moaning about the noise, and the effect on the elderly, children, pets etc, and the fact is these same people have had fireworks parties in the past when it suited them to and not once did they care about the elderly, children, pets etc 🤔.

Whattodowithit88 · 02/01/2024 11:49

But it’s just life. There is going to be noise, disturbance, cruelty, horror, death, it’s all a part of life, that’s what happens when you live with people, live in a society, that’s what happens when your a human.

MermaidMummy06 · 02/01/2024 11:51

Banning them only stops those who comply. They're illegal here in Aus, unless you are a professional business with a (strictly regulated) pyrotechnic licence, and permit for the display.

They're not illegal for noise, but safety. You can clearly hear fireworks for some distance and I've never heard people complain about the noise.

People still manage to get them. This NYE someone set them off illegally & burned the neighbours house down.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel · 02/01/2024 11:52

Gonnagetgoingreturnsagain · 02/01/2024 11:43

Well obviously here there’ll be 2 camps.

One saying they’re let off on too many nights a year and it can affect pets and people.

Other saying no they’re fine, you’re killjoys, party poopers and people should be able to let them off when they like.

I’m in between.
I love them but silent only seems like a reasonable compromise.

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:55

WhateverMate · 02/01/2024 11:42

Ask who OP?

Petitions have been doing the rounds for years and they never seem to get anywhere.

Who are you going to ask?

I'm asking anyone who reads this.

I'd be very happy to sign or create a petition but have no idea who to send it to. Presumably Parliament.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.