Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask that fireworks are no longer available except for organised gatherings

163 replies

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:36

After another NY being woken by neighbours' fireworks, AIBU?
They are dangerous (every year someone is injured on Nov 5) and very anti social.

If they aren't banned for personal use, they could be made noiseless only.

I know people will think I'm a party pooper and come along with 'It's only one night of the year' (it's not actually as some neighbours let them off on birthdays and other personal anniversaries.)

People just don't seem to appreciate that not everyone is up at midnight, some people are ill and don't want to be woken up, (in my own family there is someone on treatment for Stage 4 cancer, others with Covid) some people have pets and babies who're disturbed, etc.

OP posts:
GasPanic · 02/01/2024 11:57

Problem is that that won't satisfy zealots.

Next it will be organised displays, then no noise, then banned altogether. It's the thin end of the wedge.

Banning stuff is great right up until the point the government starts banning stuff you actually like. Which is why I am generally against the government banning things unless there is a highly significant reason for doing so.

crackfoxy · 02/01/2024 11:59

Agree

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 12:00

Whattodowithit88 · 02/01/2024 11:49

But it’s just life. There is going to be noise, disturbance, cruelty, horror, death, it’s all a part of life, that’s what happens when you live with people, live in a society, that’s what happens when your a human.

Not a good defence. You can hardly compare noisy fireworks with death .

And creating a noise or disturbance is covered by law anyway.

Lots of things could be classed as 'just life.' such as using your car horn outside of allowed hours and circumstances, burning fuel when it's in a smokeless zone, dropping litter, using petrol or diesel cars, etc etc.

We have laws and regulations to try to minimise the selfish behaviour of the few impacting on the many.

I just wish that the people who DO have fireworks would understand that their actions are anti social and potentially dangerous.

A few years ago a rocket landed in our drive, from a very long way away. Thankfully everyone was inside.

OP posts:
StarDolphins · 02/01/2024 12:00

100% agree op YANBU

TeaGinandFags · 02/01/2024 12:01

I agree that fireworks are too loud. I think splashier rather than noisier is the right direction.

Re dangerousness: the pyrotechnic body in the UK (PBA?) won't train muggles, which I think is short sighted. They should imho.

Theyarehere · 02/01/2024 12:01

They should not be available for private functions. Noise aside the damage and safety aspect is reason enough.

Brendabigbaps · 02/01/2024 12:01

And what does my family do?
we can’t go to organised displays due to ASD, we have a few quiet ones in our back garden on bonfire night.
Should we miss out then because of a disability I didn’t ask for my child to have or want? Along with all the other shit we have to deal with.

Coolhwip · 02/01/2024 12:03

HurryUpSpringDays · 02/01/2024 11:55

I'm asking anyone who reads this.

I'd be very happy to sign or create a petition but have no idea who to send it to. Presumably Parliament.

Shouldn’t you do some research before starting the eleventy billionth thread on this subject?

Why is it up us to do this for you?

HaitchOar · 02/01/2024 12:03

I dunno, when I lived in Dublin my area sounded like a war zone every night in the run up to Halloween. Admittedly I moved to London 10 years ago so things might be different now, but in my experience banning them didn’t really help. It did mean there were way more dodgy black market ones though.

I think still selling them, but only selling the quiet ones would help.

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 12:03

I think fireworks should be for organised displays only, but that’s just because I don’t trust the general public to use them safely.

I don’t care about pets, the noise, environment, whatever other bullshit you wanna add in there.

megletthesecond · 02/01/2024 12:04

Even silent fireworks create litter. I resent picking it up (but I do) as I didn't send the damn things up.
If people went round their blocks first thing on NYD and picked it up it wouldn't be as bad.

PamelaParis · 02/01/2024 12:04

we can’t go to organised displays due to ASD, we have a few quiet ones in our back garden on bonfire night.
Should we miss out then because of a disability I didn’t ask for my child to have or want? Along with all the other shit we have to deal with.

You can still have sparklers. I don't think not having access to fireworks is really "missing out".

AllProperTeaIsTheft · 02/01/2024 12:08

YANBU to dislike fireworks - you are welcome to your opinion. YABU to think that there's any point in 'asking' for them to be restricted though.

Brendabigbaps · 02/01/2024 12:13

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fieldofbrokenpromises · 02/01/2024 12:14

Not this shit again

TinyYellow · 02/01/2024 12:15

I’m totally on the fence with this one. I can see the benefits of fireworks being confined to professional displays only, but until all
councils put on free events in all areas for nye, Divali and bonfire night, I don’t think it’s fair to expect people not to use them.

Thementalloadisreal · 02/01/2024 12:17

Agree. Fireworks are shit.
Terrifying to some kids, animals and Older folks. Expensive and dangerous.
So much litter, fed up of picking up firework remains from my garden and seeing them strewn about the street.
One year a horse in a sanctuary near me died because people set off fireworks nearby.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, any other time of year if you caught wind of a neighbour mucking about with explosives in the garden you’d call the police.

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 12:19

Ilovecaviar · 02/01/2024 11:44

YABU. I love fireworks. It’s usually 2 nights a year and it’s hardly a surprise.

They were still going at 930pm last night (new years day) round where I was. Luckily my dogs and cats are generally fine although it does disturb them a but. Loads of schools are back today so not ideal that they were still going off late.

One new years eve our local pub had them and one flew into a nearby house and set fire to it, luckily no one injured but all belongings ruined. My neighbour had one smash a hole in their conservatory also this fireworks night. The risk of accidents/injury on non organised displays is huge I think. I would welcome organised displays only, this way pet owners etc can prepare for it.

PGmicstand · 02/01/2024 12:19

Given the choice I'd go with silent ones only available for public displays, and with an obligation to clear every trace afterwards.

A friend of mine lives near a venue that does and annual firework display. Whilst they can be out at the time thr event takes place they still end up with their roof and garden covered in all the rubbish (packaging) from said display. The event organisers take no responsibility for this.

LakeTiticaca · 02/01/2024 12:21

It's hardly a surprise that there will.be fireworks on bonfire night and NYE.
It happens every year 😉

tralalalalalalalal · 02/01/2024 12:22

Totally agree. My 3 year old was in our bed shaking all night :(

Legendairy · 02/01/2024 12:23

ReindeerShelter · 02/01/2024 12:03

I think fireworks should be for organised displays only, but that’s just because I don’t trust the general public to use them safely.

I don’t care about pets, the noise, environment, whatever other bullshit you wanna add in there.

My friends very young puppy had a heartattack due to fireworks as they were so scared, another local person to me answered the door and pup was next to her when a firework went off, pup ran out the door scared and got hit by a car. Its not really bullshit.

But totally agree, the general public cannot be trusted, we are generally really sensible but had a slight mishap with fireworks one NYE, we ran indoors when one fell over and shut the patio doors, no one was hurt but it damaged the glass on the door. We thought we had followed the instructions properly.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

User146386733 · 02/01/2024 12:25

Ilovecaviar · 02/01/2024 11:44

YABU. I love fireworks. It’s usually 2 nights a year and it’s hardly a surprise.

It isn't 2 nights a year. Here it's after local derby football games or any cup/championship celebrations, Diwali and Eid, Chinese New Year, Calendar New Year, Christmas and pretty much non-stop for about a month before November 5th.

It's increasingly anti-social with late-night noise and arseholes throwing them at people's windows or random people walking down the street, as well as attacking emergency services. It's been getting worse for about 10 years now. The sooner they are allowed only for professional use, the better.

IGotItFromAgnes · 02/01/2024 12:27

campaign for the organised displays to be more ASD-friendly? (There are some round here who now actually do quiet(er) displays; if there is a market they could presumably set up some kind of booth / individual spaces like some events did after Covid?

I have sympathy for the missing out - I’ve never actually been able to go to a firework display or have even quiet ones in the garden as they are too overwhelming - but I still think they’re too much of a safety risk to continue to be allowed privately.

Shithole101 · 02/01/2024 12:31

My local council used to.hold a massive fire work display every year im in my 40s and went as a teenager then took my own kids etc. Since covid it has stopped. So people will buy their own.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.